Alpha Video Training

Thread: How can I always show the latest photo from the Application Server

Real Name
    Brad Weaver

Default How can I always show the latest photo from the Application Server

Since updating recently to the newer version of the Application Server my clients are now complaining that when they update photos in the shared Photos directory I've created in A5Webroot, they still see the cached image of the previous version of the photo. I've tested and this is indeed the case and the caching is obviously happening at the Alpha Server since any browser that attempts to retrieve the same photo sees the older image. I even restarted Alpha and still get the old image (which has been replaced and doesn't even exist in the Photo directory now).

To get around browser caching, I already append a random string after the filename i.e. photoname.jpg?123456. This forces the browser to always retrieve the photo. I even checked to be sure using the browser network console that the photo is being transferred and not shown from the browser cache.

This is a critical issue for us as users need to be able to see the latest and correct images.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
    Brad Weaver, President
    ComputerAid International
    Ottawa ON Canada
    Versailles KY USA
    www.compuaid.com

"Certified" Alphaholic peteconway's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Conway

Default Re: How can I always show the latest photo from the Application Server

update photos in the shared Photos directory I've created in A5Webroot
    This is a risky location for images as the Webroot is the landing page, you may want to get around that, if the server is ever set to allow directory browsing it could easily be exposed, s3 is a better option, also what component is giving them access to browse the images?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

is there some required reason to "update" the existing photo rather than upload a NEW one? Then you could simply use MAX in the sql to pull the last photo
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Real Name
    Brad Weaver

Charles,

This has been corrected in the new prerelease due soon. We have photos stored in a shared folder with the property ID and when new photos are taken they are copied over the older photo. The server was incorrectly caching the old photo after we copied over it.
    Brad Weaver, President
    ComputerAid International
    Ottawa ON Canada
    Versailles KY USA
    www.compuaid.com

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Glad to hear it, thanks for posting
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"