New call-to-action
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moved to different server - lost security

Real Name
    Keith Stansbury

Default Moved to different server - lost security

I had a server set up and working fine. Using AlphaAnywhere - and MS Sql. Hosted on Zebrahost.
    Sunday we shut the server down. cloned it and put it on a new server. I changed all of the Connection strings to a domain name, and updated the IP address.
    Everything appears to be there, but security wont work now.
    It tells me "Login Information Incorrect". I can see the web security tables in MS Sql. They are also in the Link tables. All of the tests for Sql connection come back success.

I've republished the entire project. Republished security. Turned security off and back on for the server.

Any ideas on what I might be missing.

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Default Re: Moved to different server - lost security

I would post your version info (server version and dev version). My initial guess would be the server version and your development version are not matching. Also, is the server using Alpha for IIS or the Alpha Web Server standard?

Real Name
    Kenneth

I do not see that you have lost your security. Seems to work. Your login information is incorrect.

Real Name
    Keith Stansbury

The login information was correct. I had changed all the connection strings to a domain name. Switch the ip address after the new server was up and running. Could see the login page fine. Took a long time to come back with an error. So I remotely logged into the new server. Tried the domain name. It timed out. Added 127.0.0.1 to the hosts file along with the domain name, and all of a sudden it started working.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Help - I am having a similar issue.
    Zebra host moved me to a new IP address. I pointed my domain to the new IP and I was able to connect and my site shows however when I try to login I am getting an error that says AS cannot connect to the database on the same IP where MySQL database is on the local host.
    Ticking me off right about now, all was working well and now nobody can login...

I changed the connection string, republished security - updated publishing profiles, and they are working as expected but anything that requires a login just fails and goes back to the login page (like it should)
    Does ANYONE have an idea on what to try next?

This is mission critical at this point, users will be fuming by morning!
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Real Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesParker View Post
    Help - I am having a similar issue.
    Zebra host moved me to a new IP address. I pointed my domain to the new IP and I was able to connect and my site shows however when I try to login I am getting an error that says AS cannot connect to the database on the same IP where MySQL database is on the local host.
    Ticking me off right about now, all was working well and now nobody can login...

I changed the connection string, republished security - updated publishing profiles, and they are working as expected but anything that requires a login just fails and goes back to the login page (like it should)
    Does ANYONE have an idea on what to try next?

This is mission critical at this point, users will be fuming by morning!
    Can you connect to the MySQL database from remote computer and/or from localhost using same credentials as your AS connection string use.

Kenneth

Real Name
    Charles Parker

yes
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Real Name
    Charles Parker

I have been trying everything I can think of, the publishing profiles and the connection strings all connect, everything without security works cannot figure out whats wrong here

Real Name
    Charles Parker

getting an error stating that I cannot connect to the database, which must mean the MySQL database. Since this is a NEW server, is there anything that should've been enabled or changed on Zebra Hosts end when they migrated me to teh new IP?

Real Name
    Kenneth

getting an error stating that I cannot connect to the database, which must mean the MySQL database. Since this is a NEW server, is there anything that should've been enabled or changed on Zebra Hosts end when they migrated me to teh new IP?
    If you can connect using third party tools from remote and localhost using same credentials than Alpha then the configuration of MySQL is right.
    You did just answer than you can connect so there should not be any problems with MySQL but seems to me that you can not actually connect.

Kenneth

Real Name
    Charles Parker

When I edit my connection string in Alpha I see the various databases in the drop down of the builder for AlphaDAO connection strings...and I get a "succeeded" when I test the connection. I cannot understand what happened here, all was well. This migration sucks, and I am about to get rained on tomorrow by users who cannot login. So like I said, I can upload files - they go. I can see anything that doesn't require login. I have re-published security, etc but during login I get the error 'can't connect to the MySQL database on 'INSERT-MY-IP-HERE' (10060)'
    All the google searches I can find seem to point to a firewall issue with the way the server is setup - and nothing changed but that...so I am typing feverishly into the support ticket window at zebra host.
    Earlier when my server just disappeared (that's when they migrated me because of some emergency) they were super quick to tell me I was moved to a NEW ip and to point my domain to it which I did and I was able to see my site again. Now I cannot login using the AS security - because I can't connect to the MySQL database on the local server...aaargh

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Nate verified he can manually connect to the DB using the credentials in my connection string - as I said thats not it. The publishing profile and the connection strings are valid and working but it has to be something. Anyone with any ideas please speak up! I also updated the AS server - in other words re-installed the current version just to be sure it didnt need to be done. republished the application and security settings...at a loss here

"Certified" Alphaholic iRadiate's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stephen

Charles .. check your pm.
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.1.9 Build 6488-5436 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

It sounds to me like it's the rules in the firewall. I would create a very simple test page, unsecured, which has access to the database in some way (maybe create a table with some bogus data in it). See if you can connect to that unsecured page. If you can't, then the issue could be the IP of the server itself hasn't been allowed access to the database. The other connection methods work because those IP's got transferred over during the move....that's my guess anyway.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Yes, lots of testing going on! I am able to locally run a UX and connect to the DB and even perform crud operations but the same component live loads but cannot connect to the db. Speaking with Selwyn who has been pretty helpful I installed AA on the remote machine and couldn't create a successful connection using the same conn string but the northwind demo worked - I even tried turning off the firewall to see if it was the issue but no luck. It has to be something like your saying though. I will be sure to post back as things progress. Got a bunch of calls from users who need to login so yeah this is bad. Never had a bad experience with Zebrahost before and they have been pretty responsive so hopefully it can get sorted out soon.
    It sucks but it is nice to know I have so much support when something awful happens.

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Definitely keep us posted on what it was. I just posted a security issue of my own. This stuff can be maddening sometimes! :)

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

The application server configuration genie has option that is often overlooked that can help building and verifying a connection from the server. You can open the Connection String builder directly from the Application server.

https://documentation.alphasoftware....ttings%20other

Start the application server from a shortcut or directly by the exe. Don't worry if you get a port in use and the server doesn't start. Right click on the "ball" icon on the taskbar and select "Configure Server". Go to the "Other" tab, and there is a link "Open the Connection String Builder Genie". This opens the builder directly on the app server, so if you can build a connection in the connection string builder and test it. You can then cut and paste that into the publish profile AlphaDAO connection string for the security connection

If the development program is on the same server, and uses the same connection string, you can also open the Web Security Menu and Select Utilities. That will show if the SQL based security tables can be accessed

Real Name
    Charles Parker

been there done that, locally (on the Remote desktop) I can only connect to the db in the connection builder if I use localhost. If I select the ip of the machine or the domain it cannot connect. Locally on MY machine here at the house if I use the IP or the domain in the conn string it connects/succeeds and I can actually perform crud operations in the dev environment using live preview. So in effect if the AS server connects it cannot use anything but local host when "live" published components are running.
    It's as if the remote MYSQL database is being blocked from the resident AS server.

It's odd, this server has been running fine for about 7yrs. They moved me to a new IP and I can no longer connect to the DB but I can run any always allowed UX - without any data of course.

Following Selwyns advice I tried to create a conn string on the RD in the developer. It only succeeds when using local host in there...I guess you could say the remote AS server on the RD is being blocked from connecting to the DB also on the RD
    Last edited by CharlesParker; 01-21-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Still nobody has an answer - this is painful - site effectively down 24 hrs now nobody can login as the AS server cannot connect to the DB after an "emergency server migration" by zebrahost. Wish I had better news.

Real Name
    Kenneth

Still nobody has an answer - this is painful - site effectively down 24 hrs now nobody can login as the AS server cannot connect to the DB after an "emergency server migration" by zebrahost. Wish I had better news.
    Here is few questions.

You are running just AS or IIS + AS ?

So you can connect to the MySQL database using external AA developer and using local( installed in server) AA developer.
    When you conncet do you use in connection string external IP in both cases and same username (low letters)? And this is also true when you publish your connection string.

Does your server has external firewall or just the normal Windows firewall.

Can you publish most simple new application with two pages (allowed not allowed) to your server. Does it work?

Kenneth

Real Name
    Nate Battles

Charles - what about checking your my.ini to see if there is an IP bound there.

Also what about creating a new user in your workbench and using that instead?
    Last edited by nate.zebrahost; 01-22-2020 at 08:44 AM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Kenneth exactly that I use the same connstring in both cases - the fail is with the AS server on the RD not connecting to the DB - locally when doing live preview using the AS server teh conn stingr is working to communicate with the RD DB. - So conn string = good.

Answers: just the AS - the normal windows firewall
    I did test an always allowed page - component loads with no records. If it requires login it fails entirely.

Answering Nate = tried new user same issue. Not sure about my.ini
    Would that have changed when zebrahost migrated me?

Real Name
    Nate Battles

No, nothing within your server would've changed. It's a bit for bit replica. Just the static IPs change.

Real Name
    Nate Battles

my point was, that if your my.ini file has a binding to the old IP, then that could be causing issues.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Looked at my.ini I do not see any bound IP there
    the current error is as such

conn_error.JPG
    Last edited by CharlesParker; 01-22-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Nate just solved this: thank god!

Real Name
    jay oken

Curious what the resolution was.

One thing I didn't see mentioned was checking the MySql user accounts. We had MySql users which were locked down to our WAS IP's and also our home base.

If you have a WAS server change, those new IP's would have been lock out until you update your MySql user account, but your home base would still be able to connect.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

I am pretty sure it was a firewall issue, but I will leave it to Nate to comment when he gets a break & a chance to share. Hats off to him as it was literally him in there for a few minutes to get to the bottom of it. Some people just have the experience and expertise. if your looking for a reliable hosting company for an AA application Zebrahost will bust their butts to ensure your up and running. They were extremely responsive, kept in touch and made every effort to solve it.
    More than 6 years of uptime - yeah pretty reliable!

"Certified" Alphaholic iRadiate's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stephen

Glad they sorted it out for you Charles ... that's a definitely a stressful position to be in!
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.1.9 Build 6488-5436 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Nate said I had a vampire server, like a vampire looking in the mirror where everyone could see it except itself - no reflection, lol
    hope that helps you guys understand what was done to fix it!

This is why you go with a company like Zebrahost who understands whats what. If I were renting a VPS from godaddy this would still be broken no doubt.