New call-to-action

Thread: How do I use valueNotInList javascript to add new values from MultiselectTokens?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

Default How do I use valueNotInList javascript to add new values from MultiselectTokens?

Hi
    I love the MultiselectTokens control, i use it a lot. In 90% of the cases, i need to enter new values into my MariaDB db.
    I use a very simple table with a character field that is selected as base for my MultiSelectTokens control. The comments for valueNotInList javascript, which is triggered if the user enters a value that does not exist in the table, are not very helpful. In the documentation and Selwyn video they talk about using this javascript trigger to enter new records, but it's not shown.
    Did anyone implement this and could share the method with me?

Thanks
    Jaime

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: How do i use valueNotInList javascript to add new values from MultiselectTokens?

The valueNotInList event would be used for you to test the value entered and then, if you wanted to, call an AjaxCallback to add that value to your MariaDB table.

Unfortunately, that event doesn't work.

To test it with your system add a simple alert('here in valueNotInList'); statement to the event, run your UX, and then type in a value to your MultiSelectToken control. You should get an alert. What I'm seeing is no event firing and the value I typed gets cleared.

You should report this to Alpha.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

Default Re: How do i use valueNotInList javascript to add new values from MultiselectTokens?

Thanks David! In Selwyn's video it seems to work, it's just that it's not clear what's the value of the token being added. Will check and report back.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

This is from the comments in the event...

Fires if the user types in a value and then presses Enter and the value is not in the list of choices
    Your code can reference:
    val - the value the user typed in
    ci - the ViewBox control
    Just tried it in the "official" release and in the pre-release and that event is not firing. If you're using the same release as used in the video then I'm sure you'll be ok.
    Last edited by Davidk; 02-12-2020 at 01:06 AM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

Ouch...doesn't work in build 6402. Will send this to Alpha asap

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

Sent to Alpha, there was an issue indeed. It has been fixed and will be in tomorrow's build.
    <g> can't beat that response time, never saw this in any other development tool

Alpha Software Employee Sarah Mitchell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by WindForce View Post
    Hi
    I love the MultiselectTokens control, i use it a lot. In 90% of the cases, i need to enter new values into my MariaDB db.
    I use a very simple table with a character field that is selected as base for my MultiSelectTokens control. The comments for valueNotInList javascript, which is triggered if the user enters a value that does not exist in the table, are not very helpful. In the documentation and Selwyn video they talk about using this javascript trigger to enter new records, but it's not shown.
    Did anyone implement this and could share the method with me?

Thanks
    Jaime
    Hello Jaime,

I already contacted you directly, but so others have this info as well, the Documentation was updated examples of using the valueNotInList and onChange events. You can find it here.
    Sarah Mitchell
    Documentation | Alpha Software Corporation
    Get in the know! Join us for our Weekly Webinars: TransForm Tuesday and Wednesday's Alpha Anywhere Demo and Q&A
    Connect with us: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | YouTube

Alpha Software Employee Sarah Mitchell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Also, as a reminder, if you come across something in doc that is unclear, please do not heasitate to use the "Report a problem with this page" link at the bottom of the article to let us know.

reportit.png
    Sarah Mitchell
    Documentation | Alpha Software Corporation
    Get in the know! Join us for our Weekly Webinars: TransForm Tuesday and Wednesday's Alpha Anywhere Demo and Q&A
    Connect with us: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | YouTube

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Mitchell View Post
    Hello Jaime,

I already contacted you directly, but so others have this info as well, the Documentation was updated examples of using the valueNotInList and onChange events. You can find it here.
    Came here to update the post and found out you beat me to it:-) This is really really beautiful, the sample in the doc is exactly what i need in a gazillion apps :-)