New call-to-action

Thread: Firefox and Video Player Issue

Real Name
    Keith Wessel

Default Firefox and Video Player Issue

I'm having an issue playing a video in Firefox. I've created a Video Player Web Component and added an mp4 video file location in the Properties menu under the MP4 Video property. It works fine when I use Internet Explorer, but when I test it in Firefox, it won't play. This file is on our local network as this is an internally hosted company website. The difference I see is that when I click on the component in IE, IE correctly identifies it by the location I entered in the property menu and plays the video, but Firefox will put an http:// in front of the file name I put in the property box on the component, so it doesn't find the video file. Is there a way of defining the path so that Firefox will interpret it the same as IE?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: Firefox and Video Player Issue

There are so many tools to play videos in Alpha. Could you post a sample component, or details about what you used to build? How are you assigning the mp4 video file? What build of Alpha are you using?

Real Name
    Keith Wessel

Thanks for the quick reply David! Using version 12.4.5.5.0 Build 5667. I'm using an absolute file path to assign the MP4 file. All I did was go to New on the web projects panel and picked Web Component and selected Video Player from the menu. In the Video Player component I removed the default links they populated the MP4 Video, Ogg Video and WebM Video properties. In the MP4 video property I put in the absolute file path to the video, which works fine in IE, but not in Firefox.

Real Name
    Keith Wessel

Forgot to mention that I changed the Video Player type from YouTube to HTML5 / Flash Video Player and left the HTML5 / Flash Player Type as HTML5 / Flash in the Properties tab before adding the absolute file path.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

IE and Edge don't care too much accessing files directly. That should be the error message you see in the browser console. Chrome and Firefox care.

Your internal website must have an IP address and possible a port.

I created a folder in my Alpha project named VideoTest and set security on that folder to allow all files. I published that folder and then added an mp4 file to the published folder.

I can now play a video in that folder from the VideoPlayer component using FireFox. The MP4 Video property is: http://192.168.0.4:1580/AlphaTest/Vi...ane_Take_1.mp4

AlphaTest is my Web Project Target Folder.

Real Name
    Keith Wessel

I was looking into putting the file in the same location as the published website files, bud didn't think about publishing the file/folder itself. I'll give that shot! Thanks David!

Real Name
    Keith Wessel

I've gotten the folder created and set the security on it, but I can't find it after I publish it. Should it be showing up in my A5Webroot folder under the project name I added the folder to?
    Capture.PNG

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Based on that image, you should be able to right-click the folder name and publish. That folder will then show up inside the Project Target Folder, and where ever you are publishing to. How is your Web Project Profile set up... where is that publising?

Real Name
    Keith Wessel

I did get it to work, but I created the folder manually in the project folder and added the video. Still not understanding why the folder itself didn't publish though. Here's a couple of screen shots of my settings. Looking at the publish settings helped in setting the link correctly in the component. If you see something in the two images that might help with the folder not publishing, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again for your help!
    Capture.PNG
    Capture2.PNG

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Unsure... it tough to know how it all resolves. But... glad you got it working.