Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to fix a big FPT File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fix a big FPT File

I have a table with a memo field and the FPT file has grown to 1.35 gb. which I am sure is empty.

Please advise how to fix this

Thanks

Luis R
    Mexico

Re: How to fix a big FPT File

Well as nobody has answered Luis,
    Here are a few questions first.

* How does the Memo field get populated? [If you suspect it's empty, why is it growing? Blank Memo fields take 10 bytes - populated or not]
    * Do you have a current backup of the data?
    * How do you know which Memo fields are empty? [Run a Query using Query Genie on the Table for the specific field.]
    * Has an Image been inserted into the Memo field somehow?

Once you have decided whether there are records you want to keep, we can go further.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Memo fields have had a reputation of bloating, often hitting the 2GB limit on at least FAT32 hard disks.

After looking at what Ted suggested above, as an existing backup is your first, best solution, here are my thoughts

If it were me, I'd reboot the machine where the files are located and get a backup of what is there in the app directory. Do the backup before any AA files are opened.

Then I'd open Alpha and right click on the DBF file, looking for utilities, then look for check / repair memo fields.

I have never used it, myself, but it was added after many users were experiencing corruption with FPT files.

You might want to explore the software documentation on what this actually does.

It was never determined exactly why this occurs occasionally, but there are many threads with thoughts on why. I think things like sudden file / network disconnects, field rule conflicts, and the like were ideas tossed on the table.

Comment

The options are a bit drastic if you are an AS newbie, but easily possible with a few built in procedures, Craig.
        Whatvwe need is the progenitor.

Comment

Is this the only memo field in that table and there is truly no data in the memo field that you need?

if so,
          Backup up your table.

Remove the memo field from the table.

the .fpt should go away.

Don't use memo fields unless you can control them. They are a soft spot in dbf tables.
          Last edited by Al Buchholz; 02-17-2020, 07:14 PM.
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD
          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Not quite, Al.
            Deleting a Memo field is fine, but it persists until you Compact on your media.
            What I would do is;
            Back up everything.
            Query the memo table for empty memo fields.
            If not all are empty then;
            Duplicate the table with the memo field - include Records.
            Delete memo field in the master table.
            Compact.
            Create a Post Operation which posts memo data from the copied table to the master table IF the memo field is not empty.

Then, think about how to manage or use this type of field in future.

Comment

If you create more than one memo field in a table(memo,rtfmemo,image) they all share the one file. Usually it comes down to one or two records where there is corruption. Many of them have been found by simply scrolling the records one at a time in a browse. The browse will stop scrolling at the corrupted record. But not always that simple.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I really appreciate your help. The way I fixed it, was finding the records that caused the problems and Delete them. The only problem was that I took 2-3 hs to locate the records.

Thanks for the help

Comment

The main cause for memo field corruption (in my experience) is the record pointer inadvertently moving during a change or enter operation. So the secret to memo field vitality is to freeze navigation during a change or enter operation. The easiest way to do this is to put the memo field into a modal form. Require the user to save or cancel the operation before exiting the modal. If you can't do a modal, use xbasic to disable navigation during change or enter. The other thing to do as best practice is to isolate the memo field(s) a table just for that memo field. Link it to your main table via a set. So the linked table only has two fields - the memo field and the linking id field. If your memo table gets corrupted or otherwise goes south, your main table is not damaged in the least. Also don't put memo fields in browses, that too is potentially asking for trouble. If you follow the above, you'll likely not experience any problems with memo fields. Once I did that in my own applications, I never had a problem ever again with memo fields.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Or the very best way... don't use forms or browses to enter or edit data. Use xdialogs and make changes to tables through code and not through forms or browses. The true and only really safe way to do this work.
                    Mike W

Comment

Agreeing with Peter and add people copying odd or word files directly into memo field have produced the worst problems for me.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave:

Now that's interesting about the copy / paste from Word or the like. I never thought of / knew that.

None of my memo fields are used in that manner, and have always been stable. Most fill in by API sources like weatherunderground, upcmdb, service channel, and others. The rest are typed directly in by users and just a couple paragraphs at most.

I wonder if that's why Luis, seemingly following your suggestion, tracked down his issue to a couple records.

I'll have to remember that little tidbit, as it makes sense to me that the paste may have something the memo field just cannot swallow. This may explain why I have been so lucky where others are not.

It always feels good to learn new things. Thanks to all.

Comment

"The rest are typed directly in by users and just a couple paragraphs at most." That is what you think and hope for
                          Last edited by DaveM; 02-25-2020, 03:23 AM.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

It dies not seem xuch a big problem if user opens the memo field and uses thw supplied button to paste what was copied.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                            X