New call-to-action

Thread: Where's the AUTOEXEC ???

Real Name
    Larry F. Carraher

Default Where's the AUTOEXEC ???

Good Morning,

Everything was fine and then...

Now, my customers AUTOEXEC file is missing. Didn't think a lot about it but, I rebuilt the AUTOEXEC here, transferred it to the customer, restored the database and... NO AUTOEXEC.

So, I rebuilt it AGAIN, and SAVED it, and the made a copy to BUPAUTOEXEC. I then backed up the database, transferred it to the customer, restored it, and... NO AUTOEXEC.
    Neither was there a BUPAUTOEXEC.

I'm confused.

Does this make any sense to anyone ?

Lar

"Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles

Default Re: Where's the AUTOEXEC ???

Questions.
    What folder is the app deployed
    What operating system
    Runtime Shadowed or stand alone RT.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.

Real Name
    Larry F. Carraher

What folder is the app deployed: C:\NSSTBA

What operating system: WINDOWS 10

Runtime Shadowed or stand alone RT.: STANDALONE

Thanks...

Real Name
    Ted Giles

It may well be a Windows 10 update which has screwed things up.
    Suggest you ask the user to attempt to run the app under Administrator.
    I don't think Win10, or possibly some VC software likes anything called Autoexec.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

Real Name
    Larry F. Carraher

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Giles View Post
    It may well be a Windows 10 update which has screwed things up.
    Suggest you ask the user to attempt to run the app under Administrator.
    I don't think Win10, or possibly some VC software likes anything called Autoexec.
    Ted,

I logged on and ran the app as ADMIN, without any change.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Lar

Real Name
    Ted Giles

Lar, only other thing I can think of is to Import the Autoexec script as opposed to just sending it.
    It's late her, I will test that tomorrow.
    Look here
    https://documentation.alphasoftware....0Functions.xml
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

Real Name
    Larry F. Carraher

Thank you Ted. I'll be here.

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

When you say "AUTOEXEC FILE", you mean the script, right? Not a BAT file or something?

If the script:

1) I think we can dismiss the Windows update theory - we'd all be having the issue.

2) Is there any chance when you think you are moving the files over to the customer they are not actually being overwritten? Is it possible they are locked because in use, or set to read only or no deletion? If you are comfortable with the idea, I'd backup the customer, then delete the ADB, ALB, ALX, & ALM files and replace with your corrected ones. Watch the date modified in Explorer closely. The adb, alm, alb, and alx files should always be moved as a set.

3) I take it your locally changed files is not deleting the autoexec script, right? It disappears only when you move them to your customers server?

4) Ted's theory about shadowed files has great merit. Just for kicks, try opening the runtime directly on the workstation from program files (x86) folder and navigate the app directory. You cannot see the code tab in the runtime, but does the script run? You may need to add a message box to know. (I know you said the workstation isn't shadowed, but his theory is in play here... you have to eliminate this possibility since it's really valid and the most likely reason.)

5) Are you sure the workstation is mapped (if mapped drive) to the folder you are updating? If not mapped drive, check directory paths.

6) After backing up your local development machine, try compacting the database. Is the autoexec still there? I am wondering if the files are corrupt, but I find that to be pretty far fetched.

7) I doubt this would matter, but your development version and the workstation version match, right?

I know these are silly, but these are the most likely reasons if you local development files ARE saving the autoexec. Not knowing your skillset, don't take my suggestions as anything other than to help. I know you've been using AA for years

Regardless the above, one has to wonder what deleted the script initially.
    Last edited by CraigSchumacker; 02-18-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Real Name
    Ted Giles

Lar,
    Create Script in Code panel on your box
    Export it from Code panel to a common area
    Go to root location instance of the app you are having problems with and open it. [If you have just a stand alone RT version you can perform the next action in RT. If you are unsure, try a Refresh Shadow if the option is available and not grayed out]
    Import the script to the Code panel or through the Tools menu.

Now you should see the Script in the Code panel and be able to configure it to run. [Importing links it to the instance.]

@ Craig.
    I appreciate the comment regarding Win10 updates, however there are so many interdependencies with Windows Defender and VC software, as well as user settings that it is just a possibility given that it was recently working OK.

Question is, as yopu so righjtly say is "how did it get removed?". It is possible that the user got a message about the Autoexec in the VC and decided to quarantine it. They don't always remember or share the facts.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

Real Name
    Larry F. Carraher

I created a completely new database in a completely new folder - NuggetDB

I then created an AUTOEXEC which assigned a single global variable.

I then zipped the database and sent it to my customer - remotely.

I then unzipped the database on my customer's pc.

NO AUTOEXEC made the trip.

I am confused now.

Any ideas or help will be appreciated.

Lar

Real Name
    Larry F. Carraher

In an effort to supply as much info as possible, here's the sample database I created this morning. It doesn't but the important thing is, when I transfer the zipped file to my customer, remotely, the AUTOEXEC does not make the trip.

Lar
    Attached Files Attached Files

Real Name
    Larry F. Carraher

So, in investigating this issue, I sent the database to another remote customer. I then logged on and unzipped the database.

NO AUTOEXEC …

I don't understand what could be wrong.

Lar

Real Name
    Larry F. Carraher

I then sent the database to an additional computer. NO AUTOEXEC.

I then sent the database to another computer, here in my office. But I sent it via GOTOASSIST. Unpacked the database. The AUTOEXEC WAS THERE !

Obviously, there is a virus or malware that I need to address. However, I have run WISE and SUPERANTISPYWARE, as well as WINDOWS DEFENDER. Nothing.

Lar

Real Name
    Tim Sutherland

I don't have any suggestions to offer, but I just unzipped your file and the autoexec script is there.

Real Name
    Ted Giles

Now try exporting the Autoexe script and it should be a text file.
    Send that and import it to the other machine.
    Question.
    What zip tool are you using?
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

"I then sent the database to another computer, here in my office. But I sent it via GOTOASSIST. Unpacked the database. The AUTOEXEC WAS THERE !"

What were you using before the GoToAssist test that worked? If another remote app service was used, could it be the culprit?

I use SimpleHelp. An early version did not overwrite existing files on the target computer. It said it did, but it did not.

Why are you zipping just 4 small files? Try just sending the files needed without the zipping, as I suggested above.

How about using Google drive to move the files, without zipping or remote transfer touching them?

Ted has a good question with what zip tool are you zipping with? I can see a zip tool on one end or the other fouling a file... Never happened to me before, but maybe the zip tool is infecting memo-like files?

Is Larry's computer infecting the zip file, which seems unlikely with such a seasoned user. I would assume he has solid AV running?

Larry, are you and I think Ted suggesting an antivirus surgically scraped out the just autoexec script? Are there other scripts in the library after the alleged removal, with just the autoexec disappearing?? Are they still there? Did the date modified on the alx, alm, or alb files change at the point it was removed? What is in the script that might trigger a heuristic false-positive? Are you calling out to an infected file with SYS_OPEN(), SYS_SHELL(), popups messages, or something?

The sample you provided has the autoexec by me, as Tim also confirmed. I use McAfee AV.

I'm sticking with the idea that the file isn't getting overwritten, or my (& some of Ted's) other ideas above. (I still find a Window's update unlikely as there would be a flurry of activity on the board, and my phone would be ringing like crazy with hundreds of callers.)

Please be sure to post your solution. This is something of a puzzle, and I find it intriguing...

Real Name
    Ted Giles

Lar, one way to test the zip/transfer/AV issue is to send the zipped app and see if ANY scripts get taken over.
    Try renaming Autoexe to something else and see what happens.
    Might narrow it down,
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Larry, this may be obvious to everyone, but has not yet been confirmed in this thread.

When you say the AUTOEXEC is missing on the remote client's machine you are saying you are not able to see it on the CODE page of the Control Panel in the client's Alpha desktop application, right?

As I recall the AutoExec script is stored in the dictioniaries of the workspace itself, and is not a separate file on disk.

I apologize in advance if this was already obvious. It occurred to me that later travellers who wander by this thread will be confused, so my purpose is to clarify.

-- tom

Real Name
    Larry F. Carraher

SO... there's GOOD news and BAD news.

I troubleshot this problem most of the night. Tried to put myself OUTSIDE the box. AUTOEXEC was here, on my laptop(s) and seemed to work just fine. I then ZIPPED after downloading a new PKZIP file. NO CHANGE. I zipped the app and uploaded. NO CHANGE. I then uploaded A5V12 and installed. When I ran, the AUTOEXEC file WAS THERE - on my customer's computer. I verified that the AUTOEXEC file was there - it was. Checked the Runtime once again - it was not there. So now, I have a paradox: on one computer but not the other. That's why I documented the screens in the attachment. But then - a lightbulb went off. What was that little flicker when the runtime fired up. It was the AUTOEXEC file running - on startup - just like it should. The AUTOEXEC file updates BREEDER and OWNER names - details are not important. So, I blanked out the next to the last horses Breeder and Owner names. Verified they were blank, exited the app, and restarted. The names had been updated by a startup script, AUTOEXEC, that clearly did now exists. I uninstalled the full development app and restarted the computer. Bottomline, it appears the app is OK now. I still do not understand why I could not see the AUTOEXEC startup routine.

Lar

LFC001.pdf

Real Name
    Jon P Moody

If this is V12 (Alpha Anywhere) the 'code' tab is not visible in the runtime. Confirmed when looking at page 4 of your PDF

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

From above:

4) Ted's theory about shadowed files has great merit. Just for kicks, try opening the runtime directly on the workstation from program files (x86) folder and navigate the app directory. You cannot see the code tab in the runtime, but does the script run? You may need to add a message box to know. (I know you said the workstation isn't shadowed, but his theory is in play here... you have to eliminate this possibility since it's really valid and the most likely reason.)

It appears you were comparing the contents of the code tab to the contents of the operations tab if you look at pages 3 and 4 of your pdf. Can't say I haven't done similar things from time to time....

Nice catch, Jon.

Real Name
    Ted Giles

I don't have V12 RT, just V11. [I do have an old free V12 though]
    The Code Tab shows fine in V11, but you cannot edit any code. I was not aware that the Code tab was hidden in V12 RT. Apologies.
    Glad you got it working.

Now, any tips for the UK Grand National?
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by armasoft View Post
    If this is V12 (Alpha Anywhere) the 'code' tab is not visible in the runtime. Confirmed when looking at page 4 of your PDF
    If you right click on the tabs, can you turn on the code tab?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Jon P Moody

Quote Originally Posted by Al Buchholz View Post
    If you right click on the tabs, can you turn on the code tab?
    Nope