Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Document Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Document Manager

I'm looking at developing a "document manager". It would need to scan documents and output a pdf file to a given file location.

I would create a table in Alpha for creating an index of documents. Essentially, I'd have a form to input the index information (name, date and reference number) then click on a button that will start the scanner and name the output pdf file.

I found this post
    HTML Code:
    https://forum.alphasoftware.com/showthread.php?120072-Twain-scanning-software-NAPS2&highlight=scan+pdf
    by Ronald Anusiewicz helpful.

Has anyone done this that wouldn't mind sharing their approach and what scanner software they used where you could input code to name the destination of the file. It seems I should be using Adobe, but they charge $15 per month.

Thanks Much

~ Tom

Re: Document Manager

Very briefly, I setup a doc management system where users scan to a folder with file.watch_create() running where any scanner scans a pdf to the watched folder, the AA grabs it into a waiting list browse, then the user attaches the file to an invoice record.

Any scanner works. The pdf remains a pdf that is moved to a permanent location after being renamed. The pdf button below open the pdf. Marry puts the invoice as page 1 of the pdf.

I can get you screen shots if you want, but today's just too crazy.

Screenshot (190).png

Comment

I have a document manager system & would find it very helpful to see your table structures & coding for that feature.
      If you are happy to share.
      Thanks
      Terry

Comment

I'm just getting started on it. I finally found a program that will work from Terminal Services.

http://www.terminalworks.com/

~ Tom

Comment

Sorry Tom it was Craig’s scanning feature I was after
          Terry

Comment

I have no issues with sharing, except I am buried in work.

My intention would be to build a working model, since this a layered process. Carving and sharing is no easy task.

I built the one above four years ago. I remember the big issues were getting the system to wait for the scanned file to complete it's creation in the watched folder. (I also had to turn the watching on and off at different points to avoid the file watch to re-trigger.

I'd be happy to share if I get some time. I was thinking a modern LearnAlpha website would be nice, but in today's world, who has time to write articles?

Comment

Tom:

Just bought TSPRINT from TerminalWorks last month. Solved RDP printer / printing issues that are still bugging Terminal Services!

Comment

Thanks Craig, if you get the time
                Terry

Comment

I'm moving right along with this project.

The TerminalWorks scanning software did not work for me as I could not pass along a file name. So I'm back using NAPS2

Can someone tell me how to open a PDF file in a dialog window where I can optionally print it. I am currently just using sys_open().

Thanks,

~ Tom

Comment

Have you tried the Nuance free one?
                    I have done a lot with secure scanning for government, and I'm afraid Alpha was not an option, however;
                    Once scanned, the pdf can be captured and entered as a link in Alpha to Nuance and can then be printerpd, emailed etc. from Alpha.

Unless of course I have misunderstood?
                    See our Hybrid Option here;
                    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Patten View Post

The TerminalWorks scanning software did not work for me as I could not pass along a file name. So I'm back using NAPS2

Can someone tell me how to open a PDF file in a dialog window where I can optionally print it. I am currently just using sys_open().

Thanks,

~ Tom

Why not use chrome control in xdialog. It has all the functionality like normal chrome browser so also printing is a default feature.
                      So for example to show pdf file from file system
                      cp.url = <<%txt%
                      file:///C:\tmp\coronavirus.pdf
                      %txt%
                      Then just use print in browser toolbar.

Kenneth

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Patten View Post

Thanks,

~ Tom
                        Embedding the PDF Supercontrol on a form might do that part. You can pass the filename to the SC with a variable or let the user find the file by making the var a file select smart field.
                        Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Robin - I had forgotten about the PDF Supercontrol. Let me take a look at that.

~ tom

Comment

I know this is an old thread but thought I would offer my solution in case it might hep you. I use an ActiveX Control to do this and it works quite well. It can scan color, black and white, or grayscale. You just need to have a scanner that has a twain driver.

The product I use is TwainControlX:

https://www.ciansoft.com/twaincontrolx/default.asp

Here is some of the code that I use in case it might help:

DELETE TwainCtrlX
                            DIM TwainCtrlX as P
                            TwainCtrlX = ole.create("TwainControlX.Twain")
                            TwainCtrlX.selectdevicebyname(gvScannerName)

SELECT
                            CASE vscantype = "Black and White"
                            a_dlg_button = ""
                            TwainCtrlX.UseInterface=.F.
                            TwainCtrlX.resolution=400
                            TwainCtrlX.pixeltype=0 'This is for color (2), black and white (0) or gray scale (1)
                            TwainCtrlX.duplexenabled=case(vonetwo = "One Sided",.F.,vonetwo = "Double Sided",.T.)
                            TwainCtrlX.multiimage=.T.
                            TwainCtrlX.keepimages=.T.
                            TwainCtrlX.acquire()
                            'Set gv initialized in calling UDF
                            IDBS_PleaseWait(.T.,"Preparing Preview. Please Wait...") 'NOTE: this is a please wait dialog that I created to display a wait message
                            TwainCtrlX.savemultipagepdf(gvWO_pdffilename)
                            xbasic_wait_for_idle(1)
                            TwainCtrlX.unloaddevice()
                            topparent:CONTROL_ACTIVEX1.activex.src = gvWO_pdffilename
                            parentform.Resynch()
                            parentform.Refresh_Layout()
                            parentform.refresh_fields()
                            IDBS_PleaseWait(.F.,"Preparing Preview. Please Wait...") 'NOTE: this is a please wait dialog that I created to display a wait message

CASE vscantype = "Grayscale"
                            a_dlg_button = ""
                            TwainCtrlX.pixeltype=1 'This is for color (2), black and white (0) or gray scale (1)
                            TwainCtrlX.duplexenabled=case(vonetwo = "One Sided",.F.,vonetwo = "Double Sided",.T.)
                            TwainCtrlX.acquire()
                            IDBS_PleaseWait(.T.,"Preparing Preview. Please Wait...") 'NOTE: this is a please wait dialog that I created to display a wait message
                            xbasic_wait_for_idle(1)
                            parentform.Resynch()
                            IDBS_PleaseWait(.F.,"Preparing Preview. Please Wait...") 'NOTE: this is a please wait dialog that I created to display a wait message

CASE vscantype = "Color"
                            a_dlg_button = ""
                            TwainCtrlX.pixeltype=2 'This is for color (2), black and white (0) or gray scale (1)
                            TwainCtrlX.acquire()
                            xbasic_wait_for_idle(1)
                            parentform.Resynch()

END SELECT

Comment

We collect all PDF documents of a customer into one folder. All documents have the same syntax in names. For this we use a function that creates this file name. The scanned document is read in by script, renamed and moved to the customer folder.
                              To find a specific document, we use the following script, which gives us a preview. Not all PDF documents are stored in the database, only the key documents that are important for the job. These stored documents are then immediately accessible at the appropriate place in the program.

doc_view.png
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X