Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Migration to SQL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migration to SQL

I am planning to move my dbf desktop application to continue to work from the desktop but then to be gradually moved to a web based system
    The first stage I will be moving the dbf

Re: Migration to SQL

For some reason my post was cut off, the rest is as follows
    The first stage I will be moving the dbf to sql server & active link
    I will move the tables one at a time and wondered if anyone had written a procedure for this.
    I am sure there is a lot to consider, such as
    Indexes
    Field Rules
    Forms
    Browses
    Reports
    Global scripts writing to native dbf’s
    Any other advice or pointers would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Terry

Comment

[QUOTE=Terrymorgan;750617]For some reason my post was cut off, the rest is as follows
      The first stage I will be moving the dbf to sql server & active link
      I will move the tables one at a time and wondered if anyone had written a procedure for this.
      I am sure there is a lot to consider, such as
      Indexes
      Field Rules
      Forms
      Browses
      Reports
      Global scripts writing to native dbf
      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Glen
        Your reply only included some of my post
        Thanks
        Terry

Comment

So when you say "gradually move" you are intending to keep the desktop app going until complete? If so I would not use active links and sql tables connected back to the desktop for the reasons I described.
          Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Where can I find the “reasons”, presumably in your Blog but under what heading
            Thanks

Comment

Terry, there is the standard Upsizing option which will create SQL tables from the DBF.
              I have found that using Active Link to be rather slow.
              See our Hybrid Option here;
              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Hi Ted
                What does upsizing do couldn't find it in the help.
                Thanks
                Terry

Comment

Should be in Tools/Upsize genie.
                  It will take, or attempt to take a table and replicate it in a new workspace.
                  You will need to supply a SQL connection string

Comment

I found where to run it from but what does it do with the forms reports browses etc?
                    Do you know where there are any help files / videos so i can fully understand the process.
                    Thanks
                    Terry

Comment

https://documentation.alphasoftware....opApplications

Scroll down to Upsize details. 3 videos.
                      The videos are .swf so should be viewable on a PC

Comment

Hmm post did not quite upload as expected. will try again!
                        Last edited by glenschild; 03-06-2020, 10:49 AM.
                        Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by glenschild View Post
                          Hmm post did not quite upload as expected. will try again!
                          Still haven

Comment

Active linked connections attempt to bridge the gap between dbf and sql and they come with a performance cost. Also with the aim of moving fully over to web/sql you are not taking advantage of the capabilities of sql and therefore will eventually end up having to re-do everything anyway. That is my experience and is why I don't go down that road. One of my current projects is to convert a desktop application using dbf to a sql based browser system. To do this I am not touching the dbf application. Instead I am doing the following.

1. Establishing any required changes/enhancements that are desired/needed (inevitably there always are some!)
                            2. Building a new sql database which includes building views to replace sets.
                            3. Using the export operation in Alpha building and refining a script to export the data from the current system to a new "temporary" sql database. Note that inevitably this will reveal data integrity issues in the old db. Incorrectly formatted dates etc. that can be cleaned up.
                            4. Building migration scripts in sql to migrate the data from the temp sql database to the new sql database.
                            5. Repeat 3 & 4 as often as needed as you refine the structures
                            6. While you are repeating 3 & 4 build the new system module by module.

This gives me a measured approach to building the new system systematically and I can almost guarantee that as you go through this progress you will come across ways to improve the data
                            Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Thanks, my reason for the active link route is because our servers are being moved to the cloud and although not tested yet I do not believe the desktop app dbf’s will work in the cloud. I will see how it goes.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X