Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Some passwords visible with notepad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some passwords visible with notepad

When I use the export function for groups/users/passwords in the security process, I end up with a file that can be read by notepad. As you can see some of the users passwords are encrypted & not readable while some can be read which does create a security problem. What can I do to fix so NONE are readable. Thanks.

passwords visible in notepad.jpg

Re: Some passwords visible with notepad

Try changing the "sys" to something longer.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Tried but it did not change anything, FYI, all the passwords in the above were SYS. as you can see some show & some don't. Kinda a security problem if unauthorized users can view a gaggle of passwords with notepad.

Comment

Look at the password line.
        The common denominator is a missing odd char.
        How that gets there, I have no idea.
        Can you encrypt the passwords somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
          Look at the password line.
          The common denominator is a missing odd char.
          How that gets there, I have no idea.
          Can you encrypt the passwords somehow?
          Not the programmer but I will ask him if he can encrypt this ONE file that is created when you do the export/import function. In my opinion it seems to be a BUG.

Comment

Suggest you ask him/her to review the V12 changes to encryption for pwds.There are legacy and new version issues.
            In the Help about Pwds.

Comment

Due to the fact we do not have clients using our app on the web, phone, tablet etc we stopped our "subscription" about Feb 2017 as it did appear to use that Alpha was doing any more development in the desktop arena and was far too expesnive.

I did review New Release News and could only find a couple of "bug" fixes for desktop application in the last 3 years. On looking up alpha help, I saw that they added an encryption box as in inserted pics. Ours has no such box.....
              passwords visible in notepad 02.bmppasswords visible in notepad 03.bmp

Comment

must put mind in gear before fingers...."it did appear to us that Alpha was not doing any more development in the desktop....

Comment

I believe the Import/Export is there to help developers easily transfer users and groups to other workspaces. I think it is not meant to be kept and should be disposed after use. Just wondering why you want to encrypt it.
                  Create windows desktop applications using pure web components.

Visit https://a5wd.com and download our Alpha Anywhere Library.

Comment

Alphasoftware did a great job improving the desktop. The Chrome Control alone is such a great component. It enables developers to use the power of the web on their desktop applications. Here are the new desktop features in Alpha Anywhere https://www.alphasoftware.com/v12-desktop-new-features
                    Create windows desktop applications using pure web components.

Visit https://a5wd.com and download our Alpha Anywhere Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland View Post
                      I believe the Import/Export is there to help developers easily transfer users and groups to other workspaces. I think it is not meant to be kept and should be disposed after use. Just wondering why you want to encrypt it.
                      a generic set of groups & usernames are sent with our application. The majority of users want to change this and ADD their own users with passwords. They spend many hours doing this. We come along & give them an upgrade of our app which OVERWRITES these security settings UNLESS they have done the export & created this one file that as I mentioned is readable in notepad. I noticed that in a later build alpha has added a place to encrypt "passwords" the plural which I assume is for individual users. I hope this explains why a user mite want to change settings. Am I missing something in your post?

Comment

I did a little test and can confirm a user created after ticking the 'encrypt passwords' box does have an encrypted password in the exported file.

Suggest you delete all users, remove the master password then re-apply with the encrypt box ticked. Recreate the required users and see if all passwords are encrypted.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland View Post
                          Alphasoftware did a great job improving the desktop. The Chrome Control alone is such a great component. It enables developers to use the power of the web on their desktop applications. Here are the new desktop features in Alpha Anywhere https://www.alphasoftware.com/v12-desktop-new-features
                          We do not need anything to do with the WEB viz our app so has nothing to do with chrome & how good the desktop-web interaction is.

In my previous post I mentioned why we stopped subscribing "Due to the fact we do not have clients using our app on the web, phone, tablet etc"

There has been little to no improvements in the desktop features in the last 3 years. Looking in the link you sent, the majority have to do with the internet or SQL or how a desktop app interacts with the internet. None of which impact our desktop app.

A very small list for desktop developers if those topics are stripped out.

The only item that we could use is “PDF Reporting in Windows 10 - Print Drivers have been updated so that you can produce PDF reports in Windows 10 (as well as prior Windows versions).”

Comment

Originally posted by armasoft View Post
                            I did a little test and can confirm a user created after ticking the 'encrypt passwords' box does have an encrypted password in the exported file.

Suggest you delete all users, remove the master password then re-apply with the encrypt box ticked. Recreate the required users and see if all passwords are encrypted.
                            Thanks for the suggestion. There is no box for "encrypt passwords" in our Feb 2017 release. I did delete all groups/users etc & re-entered but that did not encrypt the passwords in the exported user file.....No cigars this time.

Comment

Armasoft aka Jon is 100% correct but a little explanation might help about the process for anyone following this thread.
                              When creating a DB password, if you don't check the Encrypt Passwords box, any passwords will be visible in an Export.
                              Unfortunately, adding the Check at a later date will NOT make the user passwords encrypted. It does not seem to get applied retrospectively. This has to be done at the very beginning and before any users are added.
                              So if your passwords are visible it is best to start over and check the Encrypt box.

Comment

Working...
                              X