Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Implications of end of support for v8 (and v11 and earlier)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implications of end of support for v8 (and v11 and earlier)

I received an e-mail that all support for Alpha 5 v11 and earlier will end after March 31.

One question is, does that mean that, if I reinstall it either on this system or another, I won't be able to activate my license? I haven't reinstalled for some time so I can't remember if it requires connecting to a website for activation.

If not, it seems that I should convert all my databases to another format such CVS. I realize that I could image my system to ensure no loss but that wouldn't work if I changed my OS unless I tried something like a VM. Not sure how that would work. Any ideas?

I also guess that Alpha is not going to maintain a website from which to download installation files. I have my installation discs so I'm not too worried about that but the answer might help others.

I also wonder if Alpha would have an objection to creating .iso files from the installation discs for distribution. I mean, the wording of the e-mail makes it clear that they're totally washing their hands of it.

The final question- is the forum still going to be functional?

Re: Implications of end of support for v8 (and v11 and earlier)

Ah! Interesting questions.
    I believe that the previous versions - up to V11 were perpetual. V11 has had it's last update years ago.
    So, if you have an installation disk or package and it hasn't been installed previously, I suggest you do so, BUT, if the package has been installed, and you are allowed 2, the PC name must be the same as the one at initial install time in you move it.
    This isn't an issue if you are not in a network, but it is a problem if you are as duplicate PC names are not allowed.
    Your licence number is as described in the other post, and this should allow you to get up and running.

I have V9,10.5,11 and an old V12 running on WinXP/7/10 so it's all doable.

If you have the Run Time version you can build and distribute I believe as you would have done earlier with no restrictions. The RT license will need to be shipped as well though. But you knew that.

As for iso files, read the license agreement. I suspect you would be in breach but I will leave that to you to decide.

If you look deeper into the Forum, you will see that there are versions since time immemorial, so |I suspect it will still be here, and there has been a bit of a resurgence of DT people of late, so all is not over with by any means. A lot of V12 stuff translates to V10 and 11 anyway.

Any issues, PM me.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Like Ted, I have many versions of alpha5 mostly V7 and up. They all run relatively fine with/without minor tweaking.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks guys.

I got the first (I believe) DOS version in 1990 bundled with Home Lawyer and another program for the massive price of $10. I faithfully upgraded every DOS version and did the same thing in Windows up to version 8. When v10 came out, it became too expensive and they gave those of with v8 a free copy of v9. I never installed the latter because I didn't like the need to change the name of browses which, I was told, is what everyone wanted. As a result, I only use v8. Does everything I need. I can't imagine doing data base work on a phone.

I just wanted to be sure that anytime I needed to reinstall v8, the serial number didn't need to be checked against an online database. I have numerous versions of other software with a permanent serial numbers installed and, when I reinstall them, the serial numbers get checked against an online database.

Sounds like they don't have an archive of older versions on-line. I do see a cracked v9 which anyone can download.

In regards to creating ISO files, I understand since someone might use the software for something dastardly which might lead to a lawsuit. However, I do see a cracked v9 which anyone can download. Not sure if Alpha is aware of it but I'm not going to post the link.

I still would be interested to know what you guys think of converting tables to CSV or another format.

Comment

Couple of things.
          Database work (as you put it) has moved from fixed desktops to distributed access in most organisations.
          If you only have the need for a single user desktop or a small intranet environment, that's fine.
          I've been developing an application for a government group who need to be able to add notes to a central database when on the road.
          This is an essential part of the job, although most processing is done at a desk, so with the app available 24/7 on line, everything can be kept up to date - by phone nowadays over 4G.

You can export your tables to CSV easily, but then what?
          Import to Excel or create SQL tables from the CSV's?

You still have to recreate an application from them.

V9 was a major change to the way Alpha was configured and the introduction of a web browser so I suspect that you will have a bit of a learning curve.

Comment

You need to know 3 things to reinstall Alpha Version 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11. Your license number, the computer name that was used to activate with, the activation.key. If you don't have the activation.key Alpha would need to call home to get it. If they turn off the activation server and you didn't save the activation.key you can't reinstall!! Depending on the operating system the activation.key can be in different locations. You can find the location of the activation.key by opening the interactive window and typing:

?a5_getapplicationdatafolder(.f.)

Save all of this data to be-able to reinstall. with out contacting Alpha. If you haven't installed and activated your V9 you should try with 2 computer names to get an activation.key for each ditto with V8 if you have not installed it twice!! If they haven't turned off the activation server!

Comment

Thanks for your comments Ted. They're much appreciated.

Yes, I only need a desktop version. Realize that I'm not using it for anything critical, like a business would (I'm retired). I use it primarily for my coin and record collections. The price of the Anywhere Desktop application, as was the price of v10 and later, is too high since I don't need any of the enhancements.

My primary concern was the ability to reinstall what I have without having a problem with serial number activation. Seems that's a non-issue. That, along with the fact that we have ways of running old software on new systems, allays my concerns that I had about converting the tables to another format for use in other software. Note that I don't build any applications from my data. If I transferred the data to Excel, that's all I would need. However, I would miss the ability to do things like queries, etc. that I can easily do in Alpha. Since I'm mostly in maintenance mode anymore in Alpha, I don't even do that much anymore.

As an aside, I don't know how people do mission critical stuff on a phone. I make far too many errors using a phone for simple things.

Comment

Originally posted by Allen Klimeck View Post
                You need to know 3 things to reinstall Alpha Version 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11. Your license number, the computer name that was used to activate with, the activation.key. If you don't have the activation.key Alpha would need to call home to get it. If they turn off the activation server and you didn't save the activation.key you can't reinstall!! Depending on the operating system the activation.key can be in different locations. You can find the location of the activation.key by opening the interactive window and typing:

Save all of this data to be-able to reinstall. with out contacting Alpha. If you haven't installed and activated your V9 you should try with 2 computer names to get an activation.key for each ditto with V8 if you have not installed it twice!! If they haven't turned off the activation server!
                Allen, thanks for putting things in perspective. Now things get a little darker.

I checked this morning and I have V8Pro on the purchased disc and v9 on another disc which is the installation files downloaded from Alpha. I have a note on the v8 disc to install it and then run the full patch. I have that on my system and it is backed up.

I write down all the serial numbers for software installed on my system separate from the system. In there, I have a serial number for both v8 and v9. I don't have any activation keys.
                I have reinstalled v8 more than two times but I've never installed v9.

What are you referring to in regards to the "interactive" window? I've run it via a command prompt and it's not recognized as valid.

Comment

the interactive window in the control panel in alpha 5

Comment

I ran that in the control panel and it provided the path to the roaming folder. In the Alpha five version 8 folder is the activation.key folder but Windows can't open it.

Comment

It's just a text file you can save a copy and open it in notepad.

Comment

Sorry to say, it won't open in Notepad. It's not recognized as a text file.

When I go to About Activating Alpha Five in Alpha, it says-

"What is your "Machine Name"? The easiest way to get your "Machine Name" is to open up Alpha Five and select Help > About Alpha Five.... The resulting dialog box contains your license number and "Machine Name". "

Can't find that and it won't give the activation key.

It also provides information on how to activate it if you're not connected to the internet- mail, phone or fax. That's going to go away at the end of the month.

I'm wondering if you could copy that file to the AlphaSoftware folder on another machine with the same name and if it would be seen during installation.

Comment

You would need to copy the file to the same folder as it came from. Make a copy of the file move the copy to documents folder change .key to .txt

Comment

Or rather the path that:

gives you

Comment

Send it to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X