Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Need Some Creative Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Some Creative Assistance

Hi Everyone.

I had a request, from a customer, and my first reaction was that I couldn't make it happen (I hate telling them that... I usually say I can get them anything they can ask for). But I thought I'd share it with you, to see if someone had any creative thoughts.

Here's the simple scenario: I'm working with a seasonal driveway repair company (they're in Rochester, NY - so the repair season is limited to April - October) that dispatches 6 or 7 truck crews, every day, to do the repairs. They're using a desktop application I deployed 3 years ago that takes phone requests from customers, schedules the repair dates, plots each trucks' routes and manages all of the payments received by check, cash or a credit card number, that the customer calls in. It has been working very well and they love the program.

For this season, they requested the ability for customers to make their credit card payments online (apparently, they get so many credit card calls, during the day, that it's taking up a lot of time, for the accounting staff).

Normally, I'd say this was easy, BUT here's my problem: Customers are rarely at home when the repairs are done. The drivers leave "hang tags" on the customers' doors, with a handwritten price telling them how much they owe. The hang tags are printed with instructions for sending a check or calling in a credit card. The drivers don't use job #'s or any other identifiable information, on the hang tags. BUT, since the customers didn't place their orders online or have the invoice/job numbers (or any login information), I can't think of how I'd create an easy, but secure, system that allows them to make their Credit Card payments online.

Now, when a check comes in, the accounting department looks up the address and/or name on the check and matches it to a job. It's been working that way for years, even before they were using my program. If a Credit Card call comes in, the agent asks for the address that was repaired and they can apply the credit card payment to that order.

So, I can't come up with a way that the customers could go online to enter their Credit Card payments. I can't just have them enter an address to lookup their jobs (they'd be able to see the job information and prices of any neighbor). I was thinking of having the drivers give a job code, made up of random letters and numbers (at least 10 characters) that link to the jobs. That could be made secure, BUT it would require the drivers to correctly write that job code on each of the hang tags. Needless to say, I don't think I'd trust the drivers to do that job accurately and "neatly"... AND, preprinting the job codes is a logistic nightmare.

Maybe, I'm making this more complicated than it is, but I listen to all of you, every Friday, and you have so many good ideas... so I thought I'd ask. Any ideas would be appreciated. - Phil

Re: Need Some Creative Assistance

If the drivers have printers in the trucks (not so uncommon anymore) they could print a hangtag, or at least as sticker to put on the hangtag, with the job code that would identify
    the job,
    Gregg
    https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Unfortunately, they do not (I've been trying to get them to have tablets and printers in each truck). Currently, each night before, the dispatcher prints the next day's "truck list" from the Alpha application. That list gives the customer name, the job's address and a description of the work to be performed. There's a space on the list for the driver to mark the job as "completed" (or explain reasons why it couldn't be completed). The paper list is returned to the office and all of the information is entered into the Alpha Application (which creates the "Accounts Receivable" to be collected).

I was thinking of having a generated number (either random or created based on the job - in addition to a Job #, my SQL Server database has an IDX field for each record). I can add that number to the hang tag that they leave at each customer's door, BUT the driver's would have to add hand-write that number on the tag and, quite frankly, I'm not sure we can count on the accuracy of what they enter. I could also pre-print index numbers on the hang tags (with instructions for accessing the system), BUT the driver would have to write the correct number on the Truck List and that number would have to be added to the system, by the clerk at the office.

This should be easy, but I'm limited by my customer's confidence in the "administrative" skills and technical skills of the drivers. That's why I needed some extra help.

THANK YOU for taking the time to read my post and to offer a good suggestion.

Comment

It's the next best thing.
        Have "dispatch" preprint labels with the truck lists for the driver to attach to the hangtag.
        Each label will have an individual code.
        The driver then needs to put the code on the run sheet he turns into the office, or, assuming
        the driver does the run in order as shown on the sheet, and identifies stops he leaves hangtags
        at, and finally uses the labels in sequential order, it should be easy enough for a dispatcher or
        other office personnel to identify which label went to which stop.
        Gregg

Comment

They trust the driver to write the price but not the job number? Strange.

Alpha has a "rand_string()" function if you want to use random letters. 5 characters will generate millions of combinations and is much less prone to error than 10.

You could try peel and stick labels. Print 2 side by side with the same number and perhaps a QR code. Then the driver peels one for the hang tag and one for the dispatch list. Only requirement for the driver is to put one on each form. So, if they can't read or write in english, spanish or russian, then they are probably good at manual tasks. That's more likely than doing the jobs in order and doesn't require that they are used in sequential order. With the QR code, the office people don't have to type in the number ( in case they don't trust them either ). Then, on your credit card processing, ask them for their address or the number on the hang tag.
          Pat Bremkamp
          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat, I think you hit it with the hangtag number.
            The hangtags can have preprinted numbers. Hopefully the driver can write
            a hangtag number on the form to turn in to the office.

I thought the drivers would do the jobs in sequential order based on the dispatchers
            routing the runs before printing the lists.
            Gregg

Comment

Gregg, There are good reasons why the jobs would not be done in sequential order... maybe there is a truck parked in the driveway and nobody home. Maybe the owner comes out and asks for a delay. Maybe there is a city street crew doing maintenance. So, the system has to allow.
              Pat Bremkamp
              MindKicks Consulting

Comment

You are amazing! THANK YOU for some excellent suggestions. I like the idea of pre-printing labels they can add to the Hanng Tag and to the corresponding line on the Truck List. That's the kind of creativity I was looking for. The staff will still have to input that number into the system, but it's not too bad. I'll see if they like that solution.

I also enjoyed Pat's cynicism about "trusting the driver's to add the price, but not a security code"... You are exactly correct! It's bizarre. They absolutely don't want add any skills or tasks to the drivers. I showed them a demo tablet "app" that would save the office hours of labor (e.g. transcribing the driver's notes, from the truck lists, after a day's work), but they worried their drivers wouldn't be able to handle it and the tablets would get lost of stolen... blah, blah, blah. If the driver simply entered an 8-character rand_string() onto the hang tag, the solution is fast and easy... I'll try making that case again, but I'm not placing any bets. Oh, well.

In short, I really appreciate Gregg's and Pat's suggestions. Now, I have a few options to help them meet their goals. Thank you, again.

Comment

Working...
                X