Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

chr(0) should still be 1 character long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chr(0) should still be 1 character long

I've been having problems with Xor encryption and I've boiled it down to the fact that A5V6 sees chr(0) as a zero length character, when any other programming language will still see it as 1 character long.

e.g.

? len(chr(0) + chr(0))

this should result in 2, but it returns 0

Is there a way around this? I am in urgent need of fixing this as our credit card payments are being held up !

RE: chr(0) should still be 1 character long

Just to add to this, if I print this in visual basic for example:

debug.print "abc" + chr(0) + "def"
    I get correctly "abc def" where the space is a null character.

If I do this in Alpha5 I get "abcdef"

If I write chr(0) to a file I get a 1 byte long file.

Seems like a bug to me

Comment

The space character is actually chr(32). You can also use the space() function to generate an arbitrary number of spaces.

Chr(0) is a null, not a space. Strings are *terminated* by nulls. If what you say is correct, Visual Basic is the one handling this incorrectly. When determining the length of a *string*, in most languages, the length is determined by the position of the null character. This is different when dealing with binary streams of data, where the null has different significance.

? len(chr(32)+chr(32))
      = 2

? "abc" + chr(32) + "def"
      = "abc def"
      Aaron Brown
      Alpha Software Development Team

Comment

No, I want the null character - not a space - the .xor. returns 0 when true, I have to turn this into a chr to append to a string.

I will attach my code

cryptkey = "7wXyUNsD9MAix4wr"

function SimpleXor as C (InString as C, Key as C)

dim KeyList[len(key)] as N

for i = 1 to len(Key)
        KeyList[i] = asc(substr(Key, i, 1))
        next

for i = 1 to len(InString)
        output = chr(asc(substr(InString, i, 1)) .xor. keylist[mod(i-1,len(Key))+1])
        simplexor = simplexor + output
        next

end function

The problem is when a character in the instring matches a character in the key the result of the .xor. is 0 and as you can see I need to build up a string - including these chr(0)'s

I've reproduced this in C, php and VB and they all handle it correctly.

Please help.

Comment

I can *guarantee* you that strlen() in C will not return the correct length if you have chr(0) in the middle of your 'string'. Strlen() uses the null as the termination character of a string, so strlen("abc\0def") will return 3.

The whole concept of doing an XOR as a a *string* doesn't make any sense at all. XORs produce binary data. If you want to do an XOR in Alpha Five, you need to use a Blob variable.

DIM b AS B
          DIM cryptkey AS B

b = "fubar"
          ? b.dump()
          = "66 75 62 61 72 00 "

b.xor(cryptkey)
          ? b.dump()
          = "51 02 3a 18 27 4e "

...or you could just use our built in encrypt_string() function and pass it your key.
          Aaron Brown

Comment

I have little choice as how to send the information to our credit card people as they require the string as produced above then base64encoded.

cryptkey = "7QTyUNsR9MAux4wr"
            cryptstring = "VendorTxCode=ZZ&Currency=GBP"

dim sx as b
            sx = SimpleXor(cryptstring ,cryptkey) 'my function in above post.

crypt = base64encode(sx) 'this is sent to protx

The problem arises when a character in the cryptstring matches a character in the key - the xor returns 0 - hence my chr(0) problem.

Comment

I could give you examples in Perl, Jsp, Asp, VB, Php they all work as I described it should work - producing string variables containing chr(0). how else am I supposed to base64encode chr(0) ???

InString = "Antony"
              Key = "ABCDEF"

instring xor'ed with key results in 0 44 55 43 43 63
              the 0 is becuase A matches A

now, I need to base64encode this, and this can only be done using a string.... but Alpha5 wont let me insert chr(0) into the string...

Comment

Anthony,

You really don't understand what I'm saying. The concept of an embedded null in a string is *nonsense*. A STRING ends when the null is reached...period. This is true in any language.

base64 encoding is designed to encode BINARY data...that's it's whole reason for existence...to turn BINARY data into STRING data for transmission (often by email) by taking 3 bytes of binary data and expand it into 4 bytes of readable string data. Yes, you can base64encode() strings, too, but if you have nulls in your data, it is, by definition, not a string.

If you want to base64encode a blob, use base64encode() and pass it the blob variable:

DIM b AS B
                DIM cryptkey AS B

b = "fubar"
                b.xor(cryptkey)
                ? base64encode(b)
                = "UQI6GCdO"

If you need to embed nulls into the blob data, you can use b.poken(position, 0).

In your example Function SimpleXOR() above, I don't know how you modified it to accommodate for the binary data, so I can't really help you with your specific example. The function, at the least, needs to be defined AS B, rather than AS C, and internally, the value you build needs to be a blob variable, also. You can't just take a string and stuff it into a blob and expect it to handle the chr(0), since you are *starting* with a string, which can't have nulls.
                Aaron Brown

Comment

Let's step back for a second.

If you have a working php example, please post it and we can work from there.
                  Aaron Brown

Comment

I played around with PHP some and determined that php does include nulls when printing and determining string lengths. Their internal string structure must maintain a separate length property. If you do the same thing in C, however

char szString[] = "foo\0bar";
                    printf("%s", szString)l

will display:
                    foo

The bottom line is, to emulate this behavior seen in php in Alpha Five, you need to work with blobs rather than strings.
                    Aaron Brown

Comment

PHP uses binary strings rather than null terminated strings.
                      Aaron Brown

Comment

Antony,
                        Can you try this out and see if you get the same results in Xbasic as you get in VB?

function SimpleXor as b (InString as C, Key as C)
                        dim bxor as b
                        bxor=char_to_blob(key)

for i = 1 to len(Key)
                        next

output = asc(substr(InString, i, 1)) .xor. keylist[mod(i-1,len(Key))+1]
                        bxor.poke(i,output)
                        next
                        siz=bxor.size()
                        bxor.resize(siz-1)
                        simplexor=bxor
                        end function

dim out as b
                        out=SimpleXor("Antony","ABCDEF")

ui_msg_box("base64encode()",base64encode(out))

Comment

Thanks for helping all, with a little tweaking I got it working perfectly :)

function SimpleXor as B (InString as C, Key as C)
                          dim bxor as B
                          bxor=char_to_blob(instring)

for i = 1 to len(Key)
                          next

bxor.poke(i,output)
                          next
                          simplexor=bxor
                          end function

Comment

Thanks for helping all, with a little tweaking I got it working perfectly :)

function SimpleXor as B (InString as C, Key as C)
                            dim bxor as B
                            bxor=char_to_blob(instring)

for i = 1 to len(Key)
                            next

bxor.poke(i,output)
                            next
                            simplexor=bxor
                            end function

Comment

Re: chr(0) should still be 1 character long

Hi Aaron,

I am trying to do the same as Anthony and have used the same code. This does work perfectly on my machine, the problem is when it goes up to the credit card company they cant decode it properly when they are using their PHP code. It seems they get stuck with characters when turned to Blob.

Here is the original Encode PHP which you asked to see.
                              Code:
                              function simpleXor($InString, $Key) {
                                // Initialise key array
                                $KeyList = array();
                                // Initialise out variable
                                $output = "";

// Convert $Key into array of ASCII values
                                for($i = 0; $i < strlen($Key); $i++){
                                  $KeyList[$i] = ord(substr($Key, $i, 1));
                                }

// Step through string a character at a time
                                for($i = 0; $i < strlen($InString); $i++) {
                                  // Get ASCII code from string, get ASCII code from key (loop through with MOD), XOR the two, get the character from the result
                                  // % is MOD (modulus), ^ is XOR
                                  $output.= chr(ord(substr($InString, $i, 1)) ^ ($KeyList[$i % strlen($Key)]));
                                }

// Return the result
                                return $output;
                              }
                              Please help.
                              Regards
                              Keith Hubert
                              Alpha Guild Member
                              London.
                              KHDB Management Systems
                              Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Working...
                              X