Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

SQL Queries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL Queries

This seems so basic for any database but I have trouble finding a way to write sql queries to insert/update/delete/copy data fields from one table to another.
    I find sql genie only inside web components not at any command prompt.
    I tried to copy records from browse and pasting to xl, word or clipboard but only it works for one record ot first field.
    I am sure some of you must have been doing these operations. Please advise me, how do I accomplish simple data processing tasks of manipulating data among different tables.

Thank you
    Sonia

RE: SQL Queries

Sonia,

What you are looking for is not part of the current product. You will have some ability to do this in Alpha Five Version 7, but the full functionality is scheduled for Alpha Five Version 8.

Comment

Thank you for your response, Edward.
      so, it is going to be a long wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      I never thought this basic functionality is not part of alpha5.
      Sonia

Comment

What kind of data are you working with? If you are using .dbf files (the default file type for Alpha), there are ways to do everything you want but not with SQL.

Comment

i imported tables from access and oracle environment. I can always perform DML in any of access or oracle db. but i wanted to keep the interaction limited to alpha5 only in order to keep licensing cost down and keep users away from those environments, after I import tables. basically to simplify web design I need to keep redundent information of some columns in multiple tables and I do not want to enter data more than once. If you know how to copy few columns of table data into another without interacting with access or oracle, I like to hear about it.

Thank you
          Sonia

Comment

i imported tables from access and oracle environment
            OK, this sounds like you have imported the data from another source and it is now in .dbf files which Alpha can manipulate any way you want to. PLEASE CONFIRM THIS. Also, does the data then remain in the .dbf files or are you trying to get it back to the Access/Oracle tables?

I need to keep redundent information of some columns in multiple tables
            This isn't very clear to me. Maybe there is a word missing. Do you really mean you want to KEEP redundant info?

Re-reading it a few times, I'm getting the feeling that you have the same info repeated in different fields of multiple tables. If this is true, I would suggest building an input form where the user can enter the data only once then your application would enter it into the tables via scripting when the user clicks the 'submit' button.

If you build a separate grid on your form for each table and allow the user to enter data in each one, I don't believe there is any easy way to fill one table based on the other. In order to do that there would need to be something to submit the page so the data from the first grid could be entered into the second grid. (A button works but some javascript might be more "user efficient". General question - can javascript be embedded in an Alpha Web Component?) However, the logic for this would have to be carefully and accurately defined and I don't believe there is any way to accomplish it with the A5 genies. I do believe there are some potential pitfalls that will have to be carefully evaluated to avoid problems.

Actually, I'd also recommend looking at this very closely to see if it is truly necessary to repeat data. Having the same data in multiple places is usually a recipe for problems later. (Unless, of course, the field is a linking field for a set.) I just went through it with a customer who had stored his customer names in at least 6 different tables. Over the years, some fields were 23 characters long, some were 27, some were 30, and the newer ones were 40. As you can imagine, some were abbreviated and some were not and, to make it worse, some abbreviations were different than other abbreviations.

In his case, he was lucky because each table also had a customer number and those were all the same. Without that, it would have been nearly impossible to correct everything and commonize the names. (And, yes, I have run into situations were it was impossible to match up all the variations.) To fix it properly, we should have eliminated all the duplicate names but that would mean checking and modifying set relationships and field references on some 200 reports and about 150 forms - not something I look forward to even if he pays me for it. Just resizing the existing fields on all those layouts took me nearly 2 hours.

Cal Locklin
            www.aimsdc.net

Comment

Wait a minute - if you are importing data from another table, why are you ENTERing data? Are you actually entering new records or are you CHANGING data in existing records. Changing data is a whole different story.

Comment

Working...
              X