Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Log on to my server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log on to my server

I have Alpha 5 version 6 with a web application server license. I�ve gone through the tutorials online and even bought and worked through the Jumpstart to the Web Pace and no where have I found how someone is supposed to log on to my server from another location across town or across the country. What would be my url address? I can log on from other computers in my own home using my ip address, but not from other locations.

I would really appreciate your help in this.
    Thank you,
    Bryan

RE: Log on to my server

For other users in other locations to log on to your server, you need either:
    A)
    1) Your server must not be hidden behind a firewall. If you have a router with a firewall, you must disable the firewall on port 80, the standard http port.
    2) Your ISP must give you a fixed address and allow incoming traffic on port 80. Usually if you have standard residential DSL or a residential cable modem, you will not have a fixed IP address and often your ISP will block port 80, since your agreement with them states you will not run a web server.

B) If you have residential DSL or a residential cable modem contract, then
    1) You must still open the firewall on your router to allow incoming traffic, say on port 8080.
    2) You can use a dynamic IP redirect service such as "no-ip.com", which will allow you to call your web site something like bryan.no-ip.com and will redirect that traffic to your ip address on port 8080. This is done by downloading a small application that sits on your computer which calls into no-ip.com every 15 minutes or so and updates it on the ip address you have at that time.

- Peter

Comment

I know it has been a long time since this post, but I still haven't solved the problem.

I've installed no-ip and my address is bbsteward.no-ip.info, I disabled the firewall in my Linksys WRT54G router and set the port to 8080 in the router as well in the Web Application Server. My server name is bryan and the server status is running. I have no other firewalls on my computer that I know of. Is someone supposed to be able to type bbsteward.no-ip.info in their browser to log on to my server?

I appreciate your response,

Bryan

Comment

If all that is done... then make sure:

a) You have a page in your a5webroot folder called index.a5w or index.html.
        b) The web application server is running and has been set to listen to the correct port.
        c) Make sure your linksys router knows which local IP address it's supposed to send it's 8080 requests to.

Comment

I have A & B correct, but I don't know how to do C.

Thanks again,
          Bryan

Comment

c) Make sure your linksys router knows which local IP address it's supposed to send it's 8080 requests to.

How do I do this? My ip address is 24.214.18.93

My local ip address in the local ip address row in the basic setup page in my router is 192.168.1.1 which is my router address. Is this what I change?

Thanks again,
            Bryan

Comment

Your router will have a page called "network address translation" or "virtual server" or something similar in which you indicate that incoming traffic on port 8080 can be routed to port 80 on your server, which might have a local address of, say, 192.168.1.100, depending on how your router and local server are configured. Your router should be configured to act as a DHCP server and your computer will pick up its IP address from the router.

Comment

Pardon - if your WAS will listen on port 8080 then your router should send incoming traffic on port 8080 to the same port on your server, not to port 80.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wayne
                  Your router will have a page called "network address translation" or "virtual server" or something similar in which you indicate that incoming traffic on port 8080 can be routed to port 80 on your server, which might have a local address of, say, 192.168.1.100, depending on how your router and local server are configured. Your router should be configured to act as a DHCP server and your computer will pick up its IP address from the router.
                  With all due respect Dr Peter Wayne, the WAS Server that he is using should NOT be using DHCP becouse he needs to rout all incomming trafic from port 8080 to a fixed IP address of is server,
                  lets say the IP address is 192.168.1.100 (fixed)
                  Last edited by Rayr; 10-13-2005, 05:29 PM.
                  Kind Regards,
                  Ray Roosa
                  Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rayr
                    With all dur respect Dr Peter Wayne, the WAS Server that he is using should NOT be using DHCP becouse he needs to rout all incomming trafic from port 8080 to a fixed IP address of is server.
                    Sorry I see now that this post was two months back, I am sure it's solved now.

Anyway a fixed IP on the server is best.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Ray Roosa
                    Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Not yet

Actually I haven't figured it out yet. I think I need one of you to come over and help me set this up. It apears as though my ports are blocked, but I called my ISP and they said they are not blocked by them. I know the firewall is disabled and Norton Antivirus is disabled. I'm using Port Detective to check my ports and it says ports 80 and 81 are blocked.

I really appreciate your patience with me in this problem.

Bryan

Comment

Bryan,
                        What port do you have the WAS set to? You can choose any port, say 82.

What is the name of your a5W page? If it's index.a5w and port 82 then the url would be http://24.214.18.93:82/index.a5w

Bill Belanger

Comment

I am not an expert on this but I did spend several hours getting this to work so I have been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I would suggest that you start with the basics and then add in. I am of the impression that you are using a cable or DSL modem and that you still are using No IP.

Remove the router from the system and connect the modem directly to the computer that you have the Web Server and application loaded on. You should be able to access the Internet. Start No IP to assure that your address has not changed from 24.214.18.93. Click on the No IP icon in the system tray, Go to add remove programs in the text box and click here under add remove host, then click on modify under actions to assure that it is set up properly. Check that the radio button port 80 redirect is checked and that the ip matches the present IP address and the port matched the port that you assigned in the web application control panel (say 8080). Click modify port redirect if changes were made then in the text box click here to refresh.

Provided that your ip address remained 24.214.18.93 and the port is 8080 then the site should load by typing http://24.214.18.93:8080 . I would suggest that a friend with another connection do this test. If you made changes to No IP I would suggest that you give it some time, then ask a friend with another connection test your site via http://24.214.18.93:8080. If this works then you should be able to access the site with your No IP address http://bbsteward.no-ip.info. Once both work, you can add the router by looking to assign the public port 8080 to the fixed local ip and port and the firewall can be added back in.

If it does not work �..

Can you access the site locally by typing http://localhost:8080 ? It so there may be a problem with the Web Server Settings or the application is not save to the right location. This address assumes that you have a default page established pagename.A5W or pagename.htm. If changes to the control panel be sure to stop and start the server to assure that the changes take effect. If you can load locally and the above does not work by using the IP address and port, than it is likely that the ISP blocks the port. Try other port setting. Hopefully this helps. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hertzler
                            I am not an expert on this but I did spend several hours getting this to work so I have been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I would suggest that you start with the basics and then add in. I am of the impression that you are using a cable or DSL modem and that you still are using No IP.

Remove the router from the system and connect the modem directly to the computer that you have the Web Server and application loaded on. You should be able to access the Internet. Start No IP to assure that your address has not changed from 24.214.18.93. Click on the No IP icon in the system tray, Go to add remove programs in the text box and click here under add remove host, then click on modify under actions to assure that it is set up properly. Check that the radio button port 80 redirect is checked and that the ip matches the present IP address and the port matched the port that you assigned in the web application control panel (say 8080). Click modify port redirect if changes were made then in the text box click here to refresh.

Provided that your ip address remained 24.214.18.93 and the port is 8080 then the site should load by typing http://24.214.18.93:8080 . I would suggest that a friend with another connection do this test. If you made changes to No IP I would suggest that you give it some time, then ask a friend with another connection test your site via http://24.214.18.93:8080. If this works then you should be able to access the site with your No IP address http://bbsteward.no-ip.info. Once both work, you can add the router by looking to assign the public port 8080 to the fixed local ip and port and the firewall can be added back in.

If it does not work �..

Can you access the site locally by typing http://localhost:8080 ? It so there may be a problem with the Web Server Settings or the application is not save to the right location. This address assumes that you have a default page established pagename.A5W or pagename.htm. If changes to the control panel be sure to stop and start the server to assure that the changes take effect. If you can load locally and the above does not work by using the IP address and port, than it is likely that the ISP blocks the port. Try other port setting. Hopefully this helps. Good luck.
                            John if you want to call me regarding your trouble I will be more then happy to work with you to try and see what going on, just send me a priv message and the best time to talk and I will reply with my phone number.
                            Kind Regards,
                            Ray Roosa
                            Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rayr
                              John if you want to call me regarding your trouble I will be more then happy to work with you to try and see what going on, just send me a priv message and the best time to talk and I will reply with my phone number.
                              John did you setup DNS for your Domain?

John really theirs just to many steps to do this configuration threw the Alpha message board, I will send you a priv message with my cell phone number, if you have a verizon cell phone you can call me free from it
                              Kind Regards,
                              Ray Roosa
                              Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Working...
                              X