Alpha Video Training

Thread: Need Advice

Real Name
    Tommy Thompson

Default Need Advice

I have a photographer client that would like to have a web site that allows her to post wedding pictures and allow people to view and order pictures. I would like to do this using Alpha for several reasons. One is that I like working with A5 and know it would be easy to do as a networked or stand alone app. I haven't done anything with WAS yet, therefore the asking for advice. The other reason is that I work with some folks that really look down on A5. They want to do this using .asp. This would be a great opportunity to shut them up!!

Any ideas?

Tommy T

Volunteer Moderator Steve Workings's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steve Workings

Default RE: Need Advice

Well, A5 and the WAS are certainly appropriate tools for this. There's a learning curve, but once you get through it you can gallop along nicely. I'd be curious if the client is thinking about using some other product/service. A5 can probaly match the features, and beat the development time and cost easily.

- Steve

Real Name
    Tommy Thompson

Take a look at www.pictage.com. The client is my daughter so she is going to do whatever I recommend. (I guess. Seems the older she gets the smarter I get!!) However, she is head of the photograher guild in Chattanooga and she has already told them her dad can do this. I am in the software business and think this could be a product with some retail value. By the way I wrote a optometrist billing system in v6 for my other daughter. It is getting good reviews.

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Tommy, take a look at "a href="http://was.alphasoftware.com/web_applications_demo/default/flowers.a5w""Example 1.11"/a" in the Web Applications Demo sample app that ships with A5v6. That has your core functionality.

Review the threads here and you will find a couple of discussions about logins being used to filter what is available. That will add the ability for different photos to be available based on the wedding or other event.

The final component, ordering pictures, is quite simple as well. While we don't yet have an example available, a shopping cart is rather basic and I or others here could give you pointers if you need them as you begin building it.

If you're already famaliar with building web apps with Alpha, I'd rate this project as easy. If you're not yet familiar with web apps in Alpha, it is still a very managable project.

-Lenny

Imran Ahmad

Take a look Tommy and start building A% apps and WAS, you will love it, if u have any problem we can discuss within this board, i think others will give u suggestion if u need, we are here to share our knowledge and building creativiti.

Hope u success within ur project.

Regards.

Real Name
    Tommy Thompson

That's what I am going to do. I have been writing apps using A5 for many years. Adding WAS is the next logical step. Maybe we can use this as a project that will help others get started also. I will try to keep everyone abreast of how things are going.