Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Performance Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Issues?

I am have some significant performance issues. The DB I have only has about 2000 records, yet getting a page back from our server takes minutes, if it comes back at all. If I work on the server directly, I get the same response.

Initially I thought it was a server issue, however, our IT folks looked at it and determined that there are no issues, with the server, the firewall or our bandwidth, which leaves A5. Where can I read up on configuring A5, and how can I troubleshoot this problem?

THanks in advance.

Jim

RE: Performance Issues?

Additional Information -

Some of my Grids had the Control Type as TextBox. Initially that worked, but I noticed, that the pages I was asking for displayed slower and slower, to the point where they would not display at all. If I changed the Control type to Label, the pages would appear alittle faster.

I also receive messages saying

Sript:UI_DLG_BOX:Line:25 live_preview(lv) out of memory.

I receive similar messages identifying a different line, than I typically get an Unhandled Exception Error and A5 Shuts Down. Thanks in advance

Comment

we need to see your pages and components here so that we can test them on our machines.

we have tested the grid components against tables with over 500,000 records and have been very happy with the performance.

Comment

I have received your files, and have started looking at them.

A number of things popped up immediately.

1. On some of your pages, if you switch to source view, you will see that a component is being loaded and not used. In other words, you have orphan components on your page.
        This is very bad. It means that you are taking the time to compute the component, but then NOT displaying the resulting HTML. So the time taken to compute the HTML is completely wasted. -- You probably ended up with orphaned components because you deleted the placeholders for the output on the Wysywig view, but did not go to the source view and delete the code that loaded the component.

2. One of your grids displayed 200 rows of data. The more rows you display, the slow it is. Why do you need to display 200 rows at once? The whole point of having paging logic in the grid is so that you can display just a few rows at once. To make matters worse, the grid with 200 rows had several dropdown boxes. Dropdown boxes are expensive because for each row in the grid, A5 has to compute what the selected value is.

Once I set the number of rows to 20 (a more reasonable number in my opinion), and deleted the orphaned components, the performance improved substantially.

Comment

Thanks -

"1. On some of your pages, if you switch to source view, you will see that a component is being loaded and not used. In other words, you have orphan components on your page."

How do I detect this, I have been spending 100% of my time in the preview and live preview tabs. If I click on HTML, than what am I looking for? (is there any documentation on this?)

"2. One of your grids displayed 200 rows of data. The more rows you display, the slow it is. Why do you need to display 200 rows at once? The whole point of having paging logic in the grid is so that you can display just a few rows at once. To make matters worse, the grid with 200 rows had several dropdown boxes. Dropdown boxes are expensive because for each row in the grid, A5 has to compute what the selected value is."

I caught this as well. But because I asked A5 to suppress the empty rows, I assumed, it would not take resources unless the data was there, i.e. I ask it to process 200 rows, but it it needed 20, it only processed 20.

Once I set the number of rows to 20 (a more reasonable number in my opinion), and deleted the orphaned components, the performance improved substantially.

Comment

I have a grid hooked to a 100,000 record table and accessing it over the net, the performance is just like I was sitting in front of the server. Very impressive.

Bill Belanger

Comment

Bill -

I am confident A5 will do what we want, I just need to understand why what we are doing so far is so slow. Selwyn has pointed out some things that I will try tomorrow and I am also looking at our server environment.

Base on your success with 100,000 records, can you tell me how many tables you are using, and are they all linked? Also, if you know, what is your server size/workload and your bandwidth?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comment

I'm just playing so far and I have only one table. The server is hooked to a DSL line with upload of 384k. The computer I accessed it with was also DSL with download of 1 meg, all max speeds of course. I say it was impressive becasue I dd the same thing with Filemaker and it was much slower. Don't think I can really help solve your problem becasue I'm new to Alpha.

Bill Belanger

Comment

no problem, thanks. I have a similar server situation, upload of 384 on a static IP, and I am accessing it via Cable modem, with greater than 384. THe server is dedicated, so we are thinking its not the server but rather the pages (code). I'll keep the thread posted as to our improvements.

Comment

Selwyn, Thanks I will definetely recreate the A5W pages. But that begs some additional questions:

Q1) Is there an efficient or inefficient way to create a grid, or if a grid works is it assumed to be efficient?

A1) The more stuff you put on the grid, the more work that a5 has to do to compute the html. Its as simple as that.
                    So, if a grid has 20 rows, it will take longer than a grid that has 10 rows. If a grid has 20 fields, it will take longer than a grid that has 10 fields.
                    If a grid uses combo boxes, or radio buttons etc, it will take longer than a grid that has just textboxes because the choices in the combo box have to be computed, and then for each row, the selected value in the combo box has to be computed.

so in summary, the time take is in direct proportion to the complexity. dropdownboxes are more complex than textboxes. editable grids are more complex than read only grids.

Q2) Why do some grids seem very resource intensive from a creation/edit perspective? (In my files that would be siteteater and sitesensors), and does that overhead transfer over to slower WAS performance?

A2) I would have to go back to look at the components and see what they have on them. I don't have your files in front of me know.
                    You can find out for yourself by creating a simple readonly grid, and the gradually adding complexity. see what seems to cause a problem.

Q3) Where is the most efficient place to put in formatting for a grid? In the grid style, or in the specific fields properties (inline style) or does it matter?

A3) it shouldn't make much difference, but if you put it in the stylesheet then the style for a table cell for example is set with a command like "TD class=""stylename"" "

if you put it in line then the html becomes

"TD class=""stylename"" style=""inlinestyle"" "

so, in the second case there is more html to transmit to the browser. I am not sure that you would notice the difference though.

Q4) When I insert a grid into a page, it automatically places the 5 components (data, search, detail...) If I don't need some of those, i.e. search, do I improve performance by deleting the unused components? And If I delete the unused component, do I need to go in and manually remove the added HTML?

A4) You don't improve performance by deleting the placeholders.

I am confused by your use of the word 'components' in the question. Do you mean 'parts'.

For example, when you place a Grid component on a page, the page shows several different placeholders for the output from the different 'parts' of the component.

these parts include the Grid, the Search, the DetailView, the Echo and the UpdateErrors.

deleting the placeholders for the parts has NO IMPACT on performance.

But if you delete all of the placeholders, remember that you have not deleted the component itself. The code for the component is only visible in the "HEAD" section.

Q5) Is using Grid Linker more efficient than calling another page from a single grid and than editing it?

No. it would be slower because the gridlinker displays two or more components on the same page. but it gives you lots of built in features - like referential integrity.
                    for example, if you have OrderHeader====""OrderItems, and you enter a new record into OrderItems, the grid linker will make sure that the invoiceNumber that is entered into the OrderItems grid matches the current INvoiceNumber in the OrderHeader grid.

If you link from one page to another, then it will be faster because you only have on component per page. But you would have to program the referential integrity yourself.

Q6) If I want to post 2-3 seperate grids with individual filter criteria to an A5W page, is there anything I need to look out for?

A6) No. however remember: the more components on a page, the slower the page will load.

Comment

Working...
                    X