Alpha Video Training

Thread: Text Box - Input Width

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default Text Box - Input Width

When a textbox is used on a form for a variable, the user is able to enter a string that's longer than the display width of the textbox itself. Would be very nice to be able to set the input width to match the display width in such a way that the user would be unable to continue typing once the limit is reached. -- tom

Real Name
    Jack Wheeler

Default RE: Text Box - Input Width

Hi Tom,
    I have not been well, therefore, I am just starting back with A5W. I remember that using alpha you can write to an htlm page with the "?" symbol. Using this the text attribute in htlm can set the size of the text. This I believe is what you have to do. WAS tries to work with all platforms, figuring this out and utilizing as many languages as possible beings forth a better developer for Alpha. Jack

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Wasn't talking about WAS. (sorry about that).

The problem is simple.

Define a layout variable. Drag it to your form.

Try to limit the width of the input string typed by the user so that inputs stop automatically when the limit is reached.

I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. So it's on my wishlist.

-- tom

Real Name
    John Oesterle

Tom -

I haven't found a way to limit input either, and a new client is complaining about it. All I can do is apply a length test and send the user back to correct the entry...sorta clunky.

- John

"Certified" Alphaholic Melvin Davidson's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melvin Davidson

One way to limit would be to use the OnKey event and code

if len(field_name.text) " max_value
    ...take action needed..
    end if

Granted, you would have to code for a lot of field, but hey,
    it's just an idea. :)

Real Name
    Don Ervin

Default Re: Text Box - Input Width

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
    Wasn't talking about WAS. (sorry about that).

The problem is simple.

Define a layout variable. Drag it to your form.

Try to limit the width of the input string typed by the user so that inputs stop automatically when the limit is reached.

I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. So it's on my wishlist.

-- tom
    Does anyone know if this rudimentary ability has been added yet? I had to abandon Alpha 5 on a project because it lacked this simple capability.

Don

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Don,

A simple test tells me that this has still not been incorporated...but to give up on a tool for a shortcoming that has such a simple fix as Melvin pointed to must mean you have 100's or 1000's of such fields needing this---in which case a batch file most likely could have been written similar to the one for stylesheets that could change all fields...or even possibly one of Cal Locklin's AIMs Addons would aid in such an endeavor. I just know that script can be changed with xbasic (from a button for instance) for various events so such a solution would be possible.

Am curious as am unfamiliar with other tools...you say it is a rudimentary ability---this I take it to mean most, if not all other, tools such as Access, Filemaker, Clarion, etc have this (without coding)??
    Last edited by MikeC; 03-13-2008 at 02:36 AM.
    Mike

Real Name
    Don Ervin

Mike,

Thanks for replying so quickly. Yes, the application was an accounting / record-keeping program 2-3 years ago that needed limits on a lot of text input fields. I have since used Alpha 5 for a small inventory application, and it worked out well. But on the other project I couldn't figure out how to limit the user input.

The reason why I say that is a basic function is because it has always been there in the past in other languages. I used dBase IV alot back when I programmed , and it has this built-in (so then FoxPro does). And my rookie job way-WAY-back-when was programming Cado Systems small business computers (Cadol had this built-in as well).

Although I spend 98% of my time now in accounting and not programming, on occasion the need arises for a custom routine for some task at work. And I still get asked by past associates if I can write some program for them. I would still use Alpha 5 - I really like it. I'm pleased to see the constant improvements that are made & new features added all the time. Just wish I had enough time to really learn how to use it ...

Don

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Don, you may know this already, but the text boxes that are bound to table fields function as you desire. It's only the text boxes that are bound to character variables that require a bit of extra work. -- tom

Real Name
    Don Ervin

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to do an exotic application, with my own scrolling schemes, etc. , in other words, trying to have more control over how the application functioned. So I was heavy into variables.

I think next time I will study the built-in features of Alpha 5 more before I do any hard-coding . I know there are alot of time-saving functions, and alot has been added since I had the pleasure of spending quality time using A5.

Don

Real Name
    Dan Hooley

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
    When a textbox is used on a form for a variable, the user is able to enter a string that's longer than the display width of the textbox itself. Would be very nice to be able to set the input width to match the display width in such a way that the user would be unable to continue typing once the limit is reached. -- tom
    Also...

Would be great if they would add the ability to enter "hard" returns and limit the number of rows to the height of the text box. That way when the user would press enter in a text box (sized appropriately), they would go to a new line in the same field, instead of going to the next field, until the height of the box was reached, then advance to the next field. Maybe someone knows how to do this already...

Thanks, Dan