Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Ver 8 w/ Laptop Parallel Printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ver 8 w/ Laptop Parallel Printing

Cannot print to my old Laserjet 4p with my new Dell Inspiron. It doesn't have a Parallel Port so I have a Port Replicator. It works fine with any other Windows XP program, but Version 8 gives a message "can't find Winagent" and crashes.

This is my first Laptop - Version 8 works fine with all our desktops - 6 on a network.

RE: Ver 8 w/ Laptop Parallel Printing

Tom

Are you running a4.exe to start a4?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Mr. Bucholz:

Yes - within "alphastart2.bat:

a4v8.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
      start winagent "command=quit"

Thanks for your response

Tom Drawert

Comment

Tom

That is close, but I asked if you are running a4.exe not a4v8.exe

I've found that a4.exe will start winagent if it's not already running and then take you into the Alpha and your printing will work.

Using the alpha_start1.bat and alpha_start2.bat was the first way that came out to start the winagent and alpha. A patch came out later that uses a small a4.exe and makes it much simplier.(actully the 7.1 patch, but alpha 4 v 8 follows the same pattern)

Hope that helps....
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

I'll try it. Should I leave the Start Winagent "command=quit" syntax in the new batch file?

Our printing works just fine on attached parallel printers to desktops using the syntax I gave you. It's just the laptop that's giving trouble. The docking station has a parallel port but it redirects to a USB virtual port. Only Windows items will print to that port so far.

It will be a day or two before I can report back.

Thank you so much for your rapid responses.

Tom Drawert

Comment

Tom

The beauty of using a4.exe is that you no longer have to start and stop winagent....

So yes, leave out the calls to winagent (for starting or stopping) in the bat files. You should have one simple bat file that runs a4.exe with the parameters that are desired....
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks. I'll report back after Hurricane Rita is over.

Comment

Tom

Stay dry and safe.....
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Laptop Parallel Printing

Mr. Bucholz:

Partial success.

I made a Windows Printer Definition within Alpha. It connects to the Laserjet 4P (copy2) which has a USB port definition. Then made a DOS printer definition pointing to Laserjet 4p copy2.

I can print my simple report. However it has no formatting and I can't put any formatting in the DOS definition that works on the output.

If I point the report to the previously defined DOS Laserjet 4 with LPT 1, Alpha crashes. Before I put a copy of Winagent.exe in the folder where the report resides, It said "Can't find Winagent".

Do you have any more suggestions?

Comment

Solution to USB printing in AlphaFour

Using Windows 2000, AlphaFour V8, and loading a4.exe NOT a4v8.exe, I was able to print forms and letters using a brand new Dell 1700 printer connected via USB cable.

1. Properly install printer in Windows using USB connection.
                    2. Start AlphaFourV8 using a4.exe so Winagent must be running.
                    3. You may need to reselect the printer within each form and letter to be printed.

Contact me at [email protected] for more details.

Comment

Thanks. I've got A4V8 installed as you suggest. The problem has do to with my existing printer(s) which are all parallel connected. No docking station or "USB to Parallel" connecter will allow these printers to work, and there is NO solution to be found.

The other issue not solved is that Typeset Mode doesn't work with any USB printer.

Appreciate your interest.

Comment

Tom

1. Contact Linksys directly and ask them about a solution to network a parallel printer. I have a printer server device that they used to make that does that. I think they have a combination of 2 devices that can accomplish that now.

2. Typeset printing - per the A4 documentation - won't work over the windows printers using the a4.exe method.

I believe that you can configure a local printer and then direct it's output to another printer with the net use command. Open a cmd window and type net ? or net use ? or find other references on this board.
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

Printing with USB printer and a laptop in A4V8

Tom / Al,

I am unclear if Tom has an issue with USB printing. As I read his last post, it appears to be an issue with a laptop and a parallel connected printer, but he is trying to use typeset mode. Is this correct?

For clarification, I am using a Toshiba Tecra 8200, Windows 2000, and printing forms, reports and letters from an AlphaFourV8 application without issue from a Dell 1700 printer connected via a USB cable.

If I can be of any assistance to Tom or anyone else, please post a reply.

Regards,

Steve

Comment

Mr. Bucholz:

Not sure what networking or redirecting from one printer to another will do for me. The fundamental difficulty is with any USB printer and A4V8 reports using Typeset mode. I have learned to make fundamental reports with limited layouts on a USB printer, but that won't replace the countless hours in creating Typset forms.

Paralellel printers, at least of the LJ4-6 family, will run Typeset reports in Version 8, just as in Version 4 when Typseset appeared.

Tom

Comment

Sharshbe:

When you refer to forms, reports, and letters, you don't mean in Alpha's Typeset Mode, do you? See Al's previous response - Typeset just doesn't work with USB printers.

I'd be interested what fonts and layouts are available to you as native Alpha only configures older printer, allowing PCL command changes for alteration from Courier fonts.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X