Alpha Video Training

Thread: POP UP WINDOW

Real Name
    Juanita Jones

Default POP UP WINDOW

I have alpha4v7. I am trying to make a window pop up when a certain field is entered. The pop up window would be a reminder for anyone that is entering anything in that field.

The prompt command under field rules only puts a reminder at the bottom of the screen. I need something to pop up in front of my face.

If this is possible, anyone's help is appreciated.

Real Name
    Mike Konoff

Default RE: POP UP WINDOW

Hi Juanita,

This is an interesting question and because you asked, I may be able to use the solution myself.

I created a DIALOG SCRIPT and titled it "popup". Then, in the FIELD RULES screen for the table I wanted it to popup on, I navigated to the field that I wanted the popup to fire on when entered. I entered the name of the dialog script that I created, popup, and saved it all. Now, when I enter a new record or change a record in that table and navigate to that field, that dialog script fires and displays on the screen.

I'd imagine that one could make the popup conditional by installing some logic in a keystroke script. Interesting. Good question!!!

Thanks,
    Mike

Real Name
    Paul Hudson

Mike

We do that all the time.
    Create a script called say, REMINDME, which fires when the field is entered. Inside that script create nested "IF" statements, the result of which is a variable containing the message you want to display in the appropriate circumstances (you can select the message according to all sorts of criteria simply by using the current and system variables). Then use a dialog script to display the contents of the variable. You can even set the duration of the reminder on the screen by using the WAITFOR command.

I find it very useful when training new staff. After they have learned the system, they begin to find the messages annoying and ask for them to be turned off, by which time they've fulfilled their purpose. The messages also drastically reduce the question "Tell me again how I do this..."

Regards
    Paul

Real Name
    Mike Konoff

That, I must say, is slick. Thanks for the input.

Real Name
    Juanita Jones

Thank you everyone for all your help. It works great & I learned something I can use in the future.

Juanita