Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Make A4 Windows based

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Make A4 Windows based

This thread is going round in circles somewhat.
    At the end of the day, we can't make an Alpha 4 for Windows ourselves. Only Selwyn can do that for us, and I hope he is aware of this thread.

So, please Selwyn, for those of us who love Alpha 4 and don't want to use anything else, it would be useful to know if you are likely to address our Alpha 4 issues (even if only the Windows printer typeset issue that many of us lust after).
    At least if we have a definitive answer from you, we will know where we stand and can decide where we go from here.
    I think that's reasonable...

Thank you in advance.

Regards
    Paul

Comment

I won't go over what's already been said, but I heartily echo most of it. Just to let you folks know that there's an A4 user here in the UK who'd not only upgrade his existing users, but add a few more if the Windows option was there.

Peter Brown

Comment

RE: Windows based ** A4 **

I for one would appreceiate A4V9. Like so many others,
        i do not have the time to rewrite the past 9 years of developing my applications to run all functions of a quality management system for a small to medium sized company.

Bells and whistles don't drive our operation, its the rapid availability of data and reports that do. The great flexibility and ease of learning A4V7 is also another great driving force.

I too have tried Alpha 5 and find it difficult to unlearn the methods and style of A4v7.

Comment

Bitching again - but I will feel a bit better when I finish.
          I was just entering data in a simple db in A5. I did remember SHFT CTRL D for today's date but then I wanted to use the equivelent of F2 from A4 and I could remember this. I went to the Help for A5 and there is no help subject on data entry, that I could see. I couldn't believe it.
          I did print out a sheet of the HOT KEYS years ago but now I have to find it.
          Like I said before, A5 is for developers, A4 is for users!
          Steve

Comment

Unfortunately, I believe we have gotten our answer from Alpha. Some time ago, Alpha indicated that they would not put any further effort into Alpha 4. By their continued silence on the issue of creating a version of Alpha 4 that can function completely and properly within the Windows environment, they have clearly restated their position that we must jump on the Alpha 5 bandwagon, or please get out of the way.

Hopefully, I can keep an old Win 98SE Pentium III/800 mHz system running with a couple of older printers to continue to do my association work. I tried to put Alpha 4 V7 on a Windows XP laptop but I have the same screen problems everyone and his brother have reported previously. Also, I am not interested in trying to be a developer. Alpha 4 is a great tool for users much in the way a well balanced hammer is a great tool for a carpenter. Alpha 5 is for the research types who want to develop applications for a user. It is not for small business or association types like myself who want a quality tool to accomplish tasks quickly, efficiently, and reliably with output (reports, etc.) that make a high quality, professional impression.

Add me to the list of disappointed of Alpha 4 users who have concluded that Alpha is no longer interested in us.

Al Palmer

Comment

Thanks for the comment Allen.

I for one don't feel we should let Alpha off the hook that easily.

I would like Selwyn or Richard to come flat out and tell us whether they are going to do anything more with A4.

If not, we can prepare for our A4 future as best we can.

Richard and Selwyn have to realize (and I am sure do realize) that they would not have the company "Alpha" and their new product "A5", if it were not for A4 users. One of us rightfully mentioned about them remembering their roots.

We are their roots.

I think we all deserve at least an answer.

Don't you ??

Rick Sloan

Comment

Maybe Selwyn isn't aware of / hasn't read this thread?

Comment

Hi Paul.

I see tech staff answering questions in this forum. I am sure they have been made aware of this string.

Rick

Comment

Gentlemen:

By now, it should be painfully obvious to all Alpha4 users that Alpha has answered the previous 38 messsages on this thread. It's unfortunate but that's the way it goes. I will continue to use version 7 under Win98 for as long as possible.

Al Palmer

Comment

Search Alpha Five Help for "Keys", you'll find "Shortcut keys", and a grid listing them all. -- tom

Comment

Shame. I know that in some respects compared to A5, A4 has square wheels, but it still gets me from A to B very well.
                        The ability to print in Typeset mode to Win printers would have been nice, though.

Guess I'd better stock up on DOS printers while I can....

Paul

Comment

We just upgraded today from v6.2 to v8 and have found that aside from being able to work under win2k, that not much else was offered for the money we paid for this upgrade. As mentioned on many of the previous posts, a key component of what we thought we were buying was the capability to use any windows-based printers. This capability in my opinion as offered in v8 is underwhelming! Typeset printing was the support we were expecting, not some half-baked attempt to getting by! We found this thread too late to stop a small waste of money. Good thing we didn't shell out for the networked version which we were looking at acquiring. Oh well, maybe there may be an a4 v9 for windows, but from the what we have read so far, that seems unlikely. From the website the focus is clearly on A5.

As with many of you, we have all invested a lot of time in our A4 databases. It would be such a waste of time to reinvest into something that does basically the same thing in a GUI format.

Comment

Hello

I was reading this thread with interest.

I have a client that invested lots of time and money in the development/design of their database. They followed the upgrades from A2 to A4 ver7 - time elapsed... the users were very happy -

The people came and went - and now - so did their support.
                            Now they are on the bandwagon to upgrade - but they wish to keep all the design they have done. To redo everything from the ground up would be ludacris.

Please tell me there is gonna be a a4 v9 for windows?
                            or at least tell me of an upgrade path to the current version -

Thank u
                            Jorge

Comment

Oh My goodness, Alpha5 sucks if you started with a4 there is nothing like it! If I wanted to learn another new language I think it would be php or asp or maybe latin..I want to set up and use a database in hours not months. I want an intuitive front end and I dont care whats driving it. Take Alpha5 and add an Alpha4 front end to it. Thats what Alpha did with DB3 annone remember that one? We want easy , no learning curve software kinda like my wife, she wants to drive her car but not open the hood ever! i dont want to learn objects , writing macros or such I want to teach macros with keystrokes, I want to use keys like v b o w p to do things, I don't like mice! in other words I like ALPHA4 and I have all the versions. either update it or maybe someone else will, someone who wants to deliver to the general public and not follow the idiots (although very rich) at microsoft. From what I see of A5 its just like Faxpro or access, so why not just buy access, its a lot cheaper. Buy the way I have tried several a5 products and access and I don't like any of them. I think alpha no longer cares.. Maybe if they can sell enough a5s Microsoft will buy them out!!!!!!!!!
                              later guys I have to fix my screen size again..

Comment

Add me to that list too. I have purchased, over the years, four major releases of Alpha 4; version 1, version 2, version 4, version 6 and version 7 with there respective runtimes; since 1991. It is a considerably amount of money.

Comment

Working...
                                X