Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Make A4 Windows based

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Make A4 Windows based

Oops! it was 5 versions.

Comment

Rick,

You can put me down for a "Windows" version of Alpha4 as well. We have used Alpha4v4 for many years (Since late 80's) and I for one always liked how "fast" Alpha4 was able to change screens and not worrying about using a mouse to make changes. I love the fact that I use the "W" key to open other databases and move around with my keyboard instead of a mouse. We use this database for providing tech support and other things where we need the "data" right away.

To be fair, I have downloaded the Alpha5 v5 test version and tried it for several weeks and I simply could not spend anymore time on this version. I am comfortable with Alpha4v4,v6 and v7 and I wish that v8 had corrected some of the issues we DOS users were talking about under Windows XP. (Screen Colors, Using different fonts like the original DOS version, etc)

I tried getting my company to purchase v8 of Alpha software but they would not because of some of the outstanding issues still present.

I would like to know if Alpha plans on releasing any more fixes for Alpha4 users or a newer Alpha4 version?.

Comment

Seems like they are ignoring us, waiting for us to join them or just give up. I personally will not purchase a V5 product, like you I have tried a few versions (bought) and do not like it. So if they are not going to do anything for us I will migrate to mysql (can you spell free) and design my front end with another free product. It's not that I wont spend the money but if I am not going to get support anyway I might as well use a product that is really growing and is part of the free internet like Linuex. Ya its really for web based programs but it works fine on a local machine and I know some of my clients are interested in putting there applications (alpha 4 ) on line. This will probably be easier with mysql. Oh well I guess its goodbye to Alpha, we new ya when you were just a little ver 1.

Comment

Early Alpha 4 user

I, too, would like to see a true seamless Windows version of Alpha 4. I currently use version 4 and have been a user since version 2. I once tried the trial version of Alpha 5, but it was very difficult to use and I deleted it. The favorite aspect of my version is the ease of switching among several indexes. In Alpha 5, I used one of my databases. Even with technical support, I found it too cumbersome. I guess simple is still what my version of Alpha 4 is all about...and it works! This has made me hesitant to even upgrade to Alpha 4 version 7 or even 8. A true windows version of Alpha 4 that has the ease of the older versions would keep a lot of us tried and true Alpha 4 users coming back for more. However, from reading the threads and company policy comments, I fear the push is Alpha 4 OUT and Alpha 5 IN!
          PS. Does anyone have any comments, pro or con, on upgrading Alpha 4 to the newest version. Also, can anyone help me get a full screen display on XP. I have tried to play around with the windows screen settings and even tried alt+enter. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Personally, this whole thread reminds me of an IT person who still claims that no one needed a word processer newer than Wordperfect 5.1, since it did everything he needed. Gee, my old 1960 Ford got me to work. But it became obsolete. I am particulary curious about the poster sticking with A4V6.2. The DOS extender (not Alpha's) in that version was a bit "buggy" to say the least. Moving to the stability of a true Windows program was a very much worth the effort. I too started with A4V2, swore at A5V6, struggled with A5V1 (still use it - a little), but now use A5V5, V6, V7 and would never even consider moving back. There are just too many features in the new programs that are very useful.

I think was is being asked for is a Windows version with the look, features, and speed of DOS. That isn't going to happen with any program from any company since the demand is minimal. Ask Corel if they will update Wordperfect 5.1 to current Windows compatible because you like the features. Not going to happen. Some developers have tried to duplicate the DOS effect in Windows based programs and quickly realized just how much capability they are giving away. If DOS isn't dead, it is very close.

In my most recent employment, an old DOS based program is still in use. All of the employees HATE it, since they are all accustomed to Windows. Many have never even heard of Windows 3.0, let alone DOS. Another program must run in DOS, but because of limitations, the last program that will run it is Win 3.1 and the hardware is limited to 286-486 computers. We kept an old 10 year old 486 based laptop for that one application. When the laptop dies, game over.

On the other hand, if what you have works, you can try to keep it going. But asking a company to support 20 or even 10 year old technology in todays fast moving computer world is not realistic.

Comment

Jerry,

I take issue with your statement of buggy A4V6.2

AS A USER, please note, AS A USER I have not found a FIVE version which hasn't yielded a bug within the first two or three things I wanted to do. It just turns me off so quickly. ie I remember trying to enter the date in FIVE with the short cut keys. Selwyn acknowledged the bug and never fiixed it until he sold a newer version.

AS A USER I enter ALT D 60 or 70 times a day. I can't screw around looking for work arounds in FIVE. I just give up and get back to doing some useful USER work, as oposed to DEVELOPER.

Latest issue in Five I tried to make a report in FIVE but the mouse was not holding the size of the section. Faster to forget about it.

Yes as a developer I am sure you have a zillion bells and whistles and they shine brightly, but as a USER I don't have the time to figure out which Bell works and which one has a bug.

Steve Pick

Comment

Hello All,

I wandered over here tonight and read this thread with interest because I held these same sentiments some time ago. I too wanted a Window's based A4 and just about jumped ship to Delphi when I realized it wasn't going to happen. With tongue in cheek, I told people at the time that I'd rather give up my wife than Alpha Four ............

But I'm on the 'other side' now and I'm glad I made the switch. There was a learning curve to be sure, but there was a learning curve when I originally switched from Professional File to Alpha 4v2 years ago. After you get over the hump you begin to see quite a bit of family resemblance between A4 and A5. Now that my learning curve is over, I can honestly say that I can do things faster in A5. This is not to depreciate A4, it is a wonderful product.

If I had to guess, I'd say that you'll not see a Win32 version of A4 developed. Besides the obvious preoccupation that Alpha Software has currently with getting the new v7 desktop and Web server rolled out, they are working feverously to get the client/server version out. And if I were to polish my crystal ball (which rarely works BTW :-) I'd say that the future push might be towards moving away from dependance on Win32 apps, to a more OS agnostic approach, web based, Linux, etc. Even if there were significant current demand for a win32 version of A4, I've got to think it would be a shrinking pool going forward.

I've not offered much comfort here, and I do understand your point of view having been there. But as I read through this thread it appears that one of the main issues is the problem of printing. Why not use A5 for your printing needs? Sounds like most of you have purchased it anyway.

I've got to say that when I first began looking at A5, the most foreign aspect of it was the report generator. But again, once you hurdle the learning curve it is easy and powerful. And you can produce stunning reports with it. I'm sure there would be issues with the memo field format, as v5 uses a newer version of the memo file format. But this shouldn't be a huge hurdle as A5 can convert the later A4 version. It might be that temp tables would have to be used, but this is not a big deal. Used to do this all the time with A4 anyway.

Thoughts?

Jim Chapman ............. former A4 addict
                Last edited by Jim Chapman; 11-04-2005, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Re: Culture clash that isn't

I've just re-subscribed to the forum and wandered back into this thread because it speaks directly to a clash that I am still having. I have in my hands a huge application written in A4V4, using just about every trick available in that version. That means that I have a dog in this fight, but what I am discovering is that nobody here seems to understand the fight. I have been in this business for almost 40 years now and have seen change after change after change. There are technological changes and paradigm changes and they are being confused here. The change from A4 to A5 certainly has technological aspects, but they are trivial compared to the paradigm changes involved.

Simply put, there are a fairly large number of people who will never be satisfied with the visual, mouse-oriented interface of the windows world, not because they are stick-in-the muds or some other pejorative term, but because the hybrid, mouse/keyboard interface is inefficient. Also, the modeless interface of the event-driven, windows/relational world is foreign to the thinking of many who are trying to efficiently and safely trying to get work done. I know that "sequential" is one of those words that has acquired a negative implication, but sequentiality, or at least the sequence of process is one of the building blocks of integrity and safety. Multi-processing may be a useful technological environment, but most business processes have sections that must happen sequentially. Parallel processing or multiple tasks can improve the efficiency of task completion, but, as in processors themselves, recognizing and enforcing sequentiality at critical junctures is an absolute requirement., regardless of technology. That sequentiality is much easier to perceive and practice in a pure, keyboard driven DOS-like environment, as it is almost an actual limitation of that world.

It has been my experience that many applications at the actual point of contact with physical process are slowed greatly by anything other than keyboard input. People tend to memorize keyboard sequences that they use often, and after a while, they don't have to look or even think much about the sequence...it just happens. Of course, the best example with which most people are thoroughly familiar is point of sale.

Now, let us take that to a development environment. People have an enormous investment in their development process, no matter whether they are "real" developers or not. Even something as intuitive as A4 is a major investment of time and energy for the user/developer that needs a particular computer function, but really doesn't want to become an expert. To have to throw away the majority part of that investment and basically start over again is not reasonable as a learning process nor as a cost-effective investment of time and energy. ROI. You see it repeated over and over again. "I've already got a working application that has all of my business logic in it. All I really need is a few good looking 'Windows' reports and the ability to run on XP or whatever is today's OS."

Abandoning an existing, working model without full or almost full backwards compatibility is a disaster for any company that is not a monopoly, and even those who are monopolies have found slow uptake of new technology. If you have the cash to make it through the interregnum, good for you. If a customer has to basically start over, their choices are going to be a lot wider than just you.

I have seen it repeatedly said that this thread draws few comments. Most of the people who wrote A4 style applications were not developers and could not and would not spend the time to tunnel through a user forum, even if they had the time, which most don't. The only time they show up is when they have a "show-stopper", and they need help, and then they are only looking for "their" problem...nothing else. A few will wander in, but not many. Developer types are always looking for the new and better tool, and as has been noted repeatedly, think A5 is just that and that anybody who doesn't realize it is just foolish.

Regardless of it's superiority, A5 is not necessarily superior for the purposes of the long time customers of A4. The paradigm is entirely different and not necessarily appropriate for many of the applications done in A4. The very least that Alpha should have done is provide full conversion of existing applications. It could have been done. Alternatively, they could have knocked out a few of the more egregious limitations of A4, added Windows reports, and given everybody the A4V9 that they have been requesting. Instead, we have this yawning canyon between A4 and A5, that many A4 users will never cross. If they have to learn a more difficult and less intuitive new paradigm, they will bite the bullet and go to something awful like MS Access or one of the newer SQL's that make a nod towards user-friendliness.

The critical point for this strategy is approaching. All the old Win98 machines are dying or just insufficient for any other purpose than running Alpha. As people are dragged forward and face the idea of spending their money on A4V7/8 or biting the bullet and going to something new, Alpha will lose a huge chunk of them. What's worse is that many of them are now so hacked off with Alpha that they may not come back in any case. Technology is not what sold A4. Intuitive use and rapid development did. If the technology had been faulty, A4 would not have lasted, but it was not what sold it. Now, Alpha is trying to sell a new version on almost a pure technology basis and they are making competitive sales to those who want that technology, but their long term user base just does not care.

Comment

Printers

Jim,

I agree, the report generator, is faster to use than A4s and can easily be used on a copy of the A4 DBF files. I already use this for mailing labels.

However, I am not amused that in trying Five V6 to produce a simple document I couldn't print the document using Five V3. I have a three user copy of the earlier version but only a single user version of the later version. As I use three computers for development (of which I do very litle) I haven't figured which two computers to register V6 on. When the 30 days ran out on V6, I thought I could print the report using the earlier version.

$99 maybe a reasonable price for a fully fledged database but $99.00 to print out a few documents is too much.

Incidentally Archmedes next post is well written and well thought out. Well worth the effort to read.

Steve
                    PS I appreciate all your great efforts to enlighten this group.

Originally posted by Jim Chapman
                    I've got to say that when I first began looking at A5, the most foreign aspect of it was the report generator. But again, once you hurdle the learning curve it is easy and powerful. And you can produce stunning reports with it. I'm sure there would be issues with the memo field format, as v5 uses a newer version of the memo file format. But this shouldn't be a huge hurdle as A5 can convert the later A4 version. It might be that temp tables would have to be used, but this is not a big deal. Used to do this all the time with A4 anyway.

Thoughts?

Jim Chapman ............. former A4 addict

Comment

FWIW,
                      I've invested thousands of dollars and thousands of hours developing projects in Filemaker. Then they took away the multi-user from the runtime so you had to buy full versions for every seat, or stay with version 3 without the new features. I thought I would start with ALpha and develop new projects in Alpha and re-write the Filemaker stuff when I had time.Then Filemaker version 4 would not work with XP, so we had to upgrade EVERYONE again to version 5. More thousands of dollars and very unhappy customers. When I made the decision to switch to a better product, it was a learning curve to be sure. It sounds to me like you are asking Alpha to continue to develop a dos product. I would be surprised that any company today would consider that. If your current product is serving your needs, then I wouldn't consider a switch. But, if you insist on NEW features, it sounds like you will need to make a product switch. You can either choose the newer Alpha product or....? The grass is always greener.

Bill Belanger

Comment

Working...
                      X