Alpha Video Training

Thread: WinAgent Icon

Bob Llllja

Default WinAgent Icon

Does anyone know how to remove the WinAgent icon from the system tray in XP (A4V8) Thanks.

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

Default RE: WinAgent Icon

Hi Bob,

Right click on the icon and select STOP WinAgent. I unfortunately do not know how to remove it permanently. Every time you open A4 it will re=ap

Good luck
    Cheryl

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

Hi Bob,

Right click on the icon and select STOP WinAgent. I unfortunately do not know how to remove it permanently. Every time you open A4 it will re-appear in the tool bar.

Good luck
    Cheryl

Bob Llllja

Your correct on the right click--stop it. But like you said, it re-appears each time. I don't want it to be there! Aarrgghh. (Got's to be a registry entry (or something) somewhere. Does anyone know what the "Winagent" is specifically used for? (Is it required to run Ver 8 in windows, or it it specifically for the EMail portion (Which I don't use, want or need) I could then stop winagent from starting in the startup bat file. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Mike Rasimowicz

From what little I know about it, it is a program that is needed for Alpha to use the windows print drivers.

I have a question for everyone. I have a vendor supplied application that was writen in an older version of Alpha. Now that we are using XP machines we had her move us to Alpha 7, but we still can not see our windows printers. Any ideas?

Pawan Deshpande

Hi Bob,

Winagent.exe is found in your Alpha4v8 directory. This program sits in the memory and does your windows printing, emailing and faxing jobs. Everytime A4 starts, winagent will automatically start. Its written like that in Alpha_start1.bat. If you dont want it to be like that then, you can say "rem" before the command winagent "|path=spool|delete=yes|keep_req=no"

So, your Alpha_Start1.bat should look something like this.
    rem winagent "|path=spool|delete=yes|keep_req=no"

or you can altogether remove the line from the file.

regards
    Pawan Deshpande.
    Alpha Software, Inc
    1-800-451-1018 ex - 23

Real Name
    Mike Konoff

Pawan:

Sounds to me that you will need winagent to print to windows printers. Can you explain how removing winagent.exe will effect printing with regard to printing in both the traditional dos manner that A4 was originally designed and to windows printers?

Thank you,
    Mike

Pawan Deshpande

Mike,

Yes, as you have mentioned, Winagent is required for printing to any Windows printer and also for Email and Fax functionalities.

pawan.

James Markis

These posts are great. I had the same question and found it instantly here. Thanks.

I also noticed that you can terminate the resident winagent right after use by editting the ALPHA_START2.BAT file which is self explanitory and looks like this (uncommenting the line means removing the "rem" before it, rem=remark) :

rem There is no need to stop Winagent when exiting A4 because winagent.exe takes up so little memory.
    rem However, if you do want to stop Winagent when exiting from A4, uncomment the following line.
    rem start winagent "command=quit"