Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Color Problem with Alpha4V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Color Problem with Alpha4V8

One more clue to the problem.
    A4 shortcut set to run in 2000 compatibility mode.

1. Call a4.exe from the desktop shortcut program starts with color problem.
    2. Exit program and stop winagent
    3. Call a4.exe again.

I may have to the above steps 2 or 3 times until A4.exe
    hangs and does not drop to the alpha4 main menu.

When a4.exe hangs I can then exit to the desk top and find alpha4 and winagent running on the task bar and the colors are correct.

Note I have never seen the program start the first time with correct colors.

Jim

Comment

I had the same problem and solved it rather easily. Right click A4v7.exe or A4V8.exe goto properties, then goto compatability mode tab, and disable visual themes. Do the same for the a4.exe file. I have not found a way to create an enviroment setting in XP to create all programs to run this way, if anyone does please let me know!

Comment

Ok, strike that last comment. The colors are so inconsistant that there seems to no be a way to resolve this with consistant results. Virtually every change i make to the infrastructure will create the color problem or other problems with the system. The last statement solved my color problem initially so give it a try, but the only way have found to solve the problem is to load the ALPHA_START1.BAT from all users on the local computer, and apply a group policy object to all users to load a custom .bat file at login. This starts A4 minimised but solved the color issue.... It seems that when a4v8 is executed minimised the color problem is fixed. I can close a4 and load it with the exact same shortcut and the color problem exsists again. ALPHA TEAM! I know your excited about your new copy protected ALPHA 5, but lets dedicate some hours to these issuses. I hope $800 was not spent to upgrade to a system with more features but unusable. This is just the color problem, not to mention the lack of proper funtion in half the apps. I would hope that the problems read here wouldn't urge anyone to purchase V5 instead, cause then its just working in the favor of Alpha. Character is character, bottom line!

Comment

Guys:
          I see the frustration you're all experiencing and can't let this go without adding my experience.

I'm attaching a A4.pal file that I've copied over from previous versions so much that I can't remember which one I took it from.

This little cookie as worked in W95, W98, W98SE and, yes, XP with no 'goofy' or 'screwed up' intermittent draws, windowed or full screen.

What have any of got to lose. Try it and see if it works for you. The 'scheme' I've used all these years is 'Ken' [clever name eh!]

Ken

Comment

I'm glad to see that this is still being discussed. My hope is that some bright programmer that knows A4.exe is going to take a good look at the way the program starts and finds the point in the program that is setting what is a wrong flag in XP.

Something changes with repeated starts of the program. What I cannot resolve is whether it is something in A4 or XP.

Because of the way the program hangs on my system. I am sure the this problem is in the startup for A4 and the problem may only be the order in which A4 sets up its handshaking with XP

I would love to be able to start the program without setting up the windows printer to see if this had any effect on the problem

Thanks to all

Comment

I too am a 12+ year user of Alpha Four products ...I cannot begin to express with mere words, the extent of my frustration after moving from W95 and W98 to XP and heeding the warning about corrupting data using A4v6 and XP together.

All previous very customized color palettes/forms have become inaccessible ...nor can I even modify any of the sample color schemes offered. I have tried all/most of the suggestions here, including Greg's A4Pal suggestion to no avail.

This is just the tip of the iceberg ....since installing A4V8 on the XP platform; A4V8 continues to access every drive on this computer before opening any selected A4 database; cursor movement and scrolling work/look like the proverbial "drunken sailor"; any amendment to an existing record in an A4 database causes major HD activity. For example, a simple spelling correction to one field of an eight field database containing 2.3 million records, cause a 12 second delay before the change is completed using F10.

I cannot understand why pleas to Alpha support continue to go unheeded and unanswered ...and so... am I wasting more time writing about these problems here?! This computer 3.0gig speed, 1gig of ram and a 2x120gig HDs, Nvidia 5600/128mb video ram and XP(SP2), runs ALL my favourite DOS and Windows based programs just fine and A4V8 is the only bad sheep. Even A4V6 runs in proper color and speed ...but that dreaded "corruption" factor implies I risk losing over a decade of serious work.

HELP please! Ron Demaray

Comment

I have this same problem while transferring from my pc
                with Windows 98 to my laptop with XP. All my data entries
                turn a dark pink. I also have other issues with V8/Windows.

I have been going through the forum today looking for answers but could not find any. I learned on V3 while
                working for a contracting company. We went from V3 in 1993
                using a Windows 3. operating system to Windows 95 with no problems.

My next experience started with the purchase of V8 using Windows 98 in October of 2004. It has not been a good one.

PROBLEM: Would not run full screen. I resolved this issue through this forum after being totally bewildered for the most part of a day during my initial install.

PROBLEM: My printer is an HP 3650 with a USB port which does not work. This forum has offered a parallell port adapter as one solution. I am checking into this now.

XP - MY LAPTOP

PROBLEM: As mentioned in my opening statement I have a color issue as your other users.

PROBLEM: FULL SCREEN: I am currently using the the "ALT ENTER" solution per a forum message. This is not straight forward. You should be able to click on the ICON and launch the program without going through this process.

PROBLEM: WON'T PRINT: My laptop (a "THINKPAD") has has USB
                and parallell ports. My printer is an HP 3650 Deskjet which is USB only. It will not print to the USB port. I saw your forum answer on this issue but you cited using Windows 2000 and XP PRO with satisfactory results. As noted above my two operating systems are Windows 98 and XP.

As for the parallell port I will have to try and find an adapter, if there is such a device, for my USB only printer. My only choice now is to find a friend who has a parallell port printer and try it. I am not optimistic after all the issues I am facing as well as your customers on the forum.

For years I have touted Alpha4 as the best product going, far easier than Access and superior to Access. From the problems I am experiencing as well as the forum customers Alpha 4 has a lot of UNFINISHED WORK IN V8. Please provide us with "patches" or reliable solutions to these problems

Bob Marxinko

Comment

I also have super systems and A4v8 runs 20 times slower also. Let me quantify, I have an AMD Duron 1300, 40 gig (5400 RPM), w/ integrated video card with a4v6 and 98, runs great. The same dbase is used on 4 - 3.4 GHZ P4, Raid 5 (4 Dirves), XP pro, ATI 9800 Pro 128, 2x 512 (1 gig) Dual Channel memory etc etc and it's effeciency is so negligable that the single 98 system can opperate faster with the data than 4 users each on the p4 systems. The key point here for this investment of over $20k in the network domain infrastructure was for an increase of Point of Sales. Let's get real, Alpha better cough up some serious answers seriously quick other than posting awards for v5 in the a4v6 -7 -8 threads. I even contacted Alpha to ensure this upgrade was compatable and with the reply "simply install it in the same directory and go!" I made a serious mistake and went go with this project and the $800 5 person a4.net license is the absolute minimal of any single expence that was wasted. I am an MCSE+I certified Proffesional with 6 years of Basic, C++, VB scripting and developing experience and this expected 30 hour upgrade has resulted in 500 HOURS of testing, risk managment, debugging, configuring, reading, consuting ARRRGGGGGG.

Did anyone else have script problems after upgrading? HAHA, well with 2-5 needing to be debugged on my side im sure there was, hehe. Oh.. well.. let's keep in contact guys!

Comment

Dear Mr. Rabbins

A number of years ago we had a dynamic discussion on this forum about switching from A4 to A5 (we all know you are pushing A5). You have to remember Mr Rabbins that a great number of us supported A4 all of these years. That simply means we supported and built your company. We spent many hours and learned the A4 system that you advertised was the best thing since sliced bread. We have to tell you, alot of us do not wish to spend (nor have the time to spend) on learning another database concept. We have businesses to run.

I contacted you company years ago on an unrelated matter and spoke to you personally by phone. I aired my concerns and asked you if it was possible to make a "Windows" product and have the same DBF structure (same names, field rules etc). In other words a seamless transfer from dos to windows. We discussed that this would solve a multitude of problems like using all windows printers ... being able to fax within the program, 1000 filed per database, fixing screen problems etc etc etc. Lets face it. For most businesses using A4, that's all we really need.

You said that this COULD be done.

What would it take for your staff to make this happen? In my mind it would be worth it. Here we are years later, A4 users still talking about screen problems... colour problems and the list goes on.

Think of all of the A4 users out there switching over. Think of the years of upgrades.

I (like most others have supported A4) since v2. To have to learn another concept at this point in our business lives does not make any sense.

I invite others to comment. Maybe we can make this happen.

Rick Sloan

Comment

Hear, hear, Rick!

I'm a UK user of A4 and only small fry in this context (we would potentially have a 10-15 user system). However, I simply don't have the time to develop a new application under A5. We are seriously considering buying a commercial system for our veterinary practice (which is likely to set us back in excess of �15,000) so I'd jump at the chance of being able to transfer our present data and application across!

Regards

Peter Brown

Comment

Ditto small garage in U.K. - I also have devoloped and used my own A4V6 application since 1994 but with the business growing now don't have the time (or the brain power)to start learing a whole new concept (A5)

Please Mr Rabbins give us a windows version of A4 so I don't have to buy an of the shelf garage software package
                        which would be less flexible than my own.

Andy Ravey

Comment

Andy

I started this thread and can't put into word how I feel that it and the problem live on with out an answer.

I had to call tech support about a week ago on another issue
                          while I had them on the phone I asked them about the problem. The very nice young man had never heard of it and was shocked that I was having a problem. It must be my computer hardware. How about upgrading to the Alpha@#%^&**

With is kind of support why would I move to their new products or advise anyone else to. Besides ther new products would increase my work time by 50%. No I am left to suffer with the problem and use work arounds. In some cases the old package on a WIN 98 machine.

Alpha is not interested in our problem that they created.
                          Maybe its time to wright a few of the magazines that promote how good their software is and let them hear this story about software with a problem that the program writers want address or support us in finding an answer to.

Jim Reading

Comment

Robert

Just thought I would see if you found an answer to the problem or another software package to use.
                            [email protected]

Jim Reading

Comment

I thought I would post this comment

If any one finds another software package to use please post it

Jim Reading

Comment

I think have found an answer to this problem and would like to hear feedback from others.

The problem maybe that starting the program in full screen is effecting the screen colors.

1. Start Alpha4v8 in a window
                                2. place curser on the drive letter in upper left of window and right click.
                                3. click on properties
                                4. click on Full Screen
                                5. Click OK
                                6. Click OK "Apply properties to current windows only"

This is working for me hope it helps

Comment

Working...
                                X