Alpha Video Training

Thread: A4v7, PCAnywhere and VPN Problem

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Default A4v7, PCAnywhere and VPN Problem

When using A4v7 via PCAnywhere with Microsoft's VPN over a high speed internet connection I experience 2 problems. The PCAnywhere host and remotes are both WIN XP os.

1st, A4V7 seems to hang the system when you try to go into full screen DOS mode. Are there any settings that will work to do this via PCAnywhwere?

2nd, The connection through VPN and PCAnywhere seem to be extremely slow when starting A4v7, and seem to get slower with time. The keystrokes and screen refreshes are entirely slow when using A4v7, than when using any windows program in the same setup. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ira

Real Name
    Robert Picard

Default RE: A4v7, PCAnywhere and VPN Problem

Hi Ira

Have tried using VNC?

"http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/"

I know it doesn't answer your question and you are probably used to PCanywhere. But it may take some time to resolve your problem and in the meantime you could use VNC.

Its free for download and extremely easy to setup and use. The only thing is you cannot transfer files between the connected computers.

Robert

Real Name
    Robert Picard

Hi Ira

Sorry about the mangled english.

Have you tried using VNC?

"http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/"

I know it doesn't answer your question and you probably like PCanywhere. But it may take some time to resolve your problem and in the meantime you could use VNC.

Its free for download and extremely easy to setup and use. The only thing is you cannot transfer files between the connected computers.

Robert

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I'll have to see if the client will use it, and that it solves the problem.

I'll post back with the results if I can implement the test.

Regards,

Ira

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

VNC disconnetcts on screen resolution changes. And switching to a full-screen DOS window changes the resolution, so you will get disconnected from the remote system when you change to the full screen mode. (It's probably this resolution change that's causing problems with pcAnywhere too.)

You can reconnect however, so this is more of an annoyance than a show-stoppper.

VNC also does not offer any type of encryption. This isn't really an issue in your case since you are using a VPN connection and that takes care of encryption. If you were simply connecting across the public Internet ans you or your client were worried about sensitive data, you'd need to use VNC through an SSH tunnel.

-Lenny

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Hi Lenny,

The problem with slow screen updates and slow keyboard handling from the remote happens even when used in window mode with no changes in screen resolution.

Changes to full screen DOS caused hangup at the remote, and a flashing A4 icon in the taskbar on the taskbar.

I experienced an almost identical problem several years ago when using A4V6, VPN and PCAnywhere, so it is nothing really new.

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

The VNC works better than PCAnywhere under the environment I described, though not what I'd call snappy (probably the VPN). Switching to a full DOS screen does not seem to appear at the remote, but does seem to go to that mode and not hang the remote. Switching back at the host or remote restores the screen and the remote.

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

The VNC works better than PCAnywhere under the environment I described, though not what I'd call snappy (probably the VPN). Switching to a full DOS screen does not seem to appear at the remote, but does seem to go to that mode and not hang the remote. Switching back at the host or remote restores the screen and the remote.

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Robert,

Regards,

Ira

Real Name
    Robert Picard

Hi Ira

I am listening ! ! ! ! ! !

I got the message ! ! ! ! !

///
    ~~

Robert