Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

floppy drive access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fellow A4 users and Alpha Staff,

I've found that there is a file in the A4V8 directory called "oemsetup". In that file, there are references to "floppy" and I can't figure out why because I don't know what the purpose of that file is or how or when it's in use. Why would that file have any reference to "floppy" whatsoever in this day and age when hard drives are so huge and we have CD and DVD drives.

Also, and more importantly, in the course of working with A4V8, is THAT file causing A4V8 to look to the floppy for some kind of information??? If so, why? and if so, how can we TURN IT OFF, to see if that's the cause?????

Thanks,
    Mike
    Thank you,
    Mike Konoff

Comment

ANYBODY??? Anything new on this??? Selwyn???
      Thank you,
      Mike Konoff

Comment

Seek floppy disk Windows XP - 2000

Hi Guys,

The ONLY solution to this problems is to get rid of the floppy. Physically remove it, then remove it from the bios. If you do not remove it from the bios windows will still detect the drive and interestingly, A4v7 will still seek it.

There will be some withdrawal symptoms but you will get over it. The speed of you applications on a fast machine will be almost unbelievable.

Charles

Comment

Hi Charles and the rest...

I'm sorry, but I don't buy into this solution for two reasons.

First, I installed V8 on a 1.5GHz WinXP desktop and encountered the annoying floppy access. I then installed V8 on a 2.4GHz WinXP laptop with no floppy. The huge and annoying delays are happening on the laptop in the same instances that they are happening on the WinXP desktop. Again, there is NO floppy on this laptop.

Secondly, no floppy acces or delay at all when V8 is installed on a 266MHz Win98 Desktop and also a 750MHz WinME desktop.

The speed at which V8 operates on my Win98 & ME machines far surpasses the speed at which V8 operates on my much faster WinXP machines.

Thanks anyway,
          Mike
          Thank you,
          Mike Konoff

Comment

Re: floppy drive access

Here's an interesting twist. Somebody gave me a dead Emachines T2542 WinXP Home Edition w/2.5 celeron processor. I replaced the power supply and I have decent working PC.

For kicks, I installed V8 on it and it is super fast. It seems almost as fast at loading forms and accessing data over a network than doing so with V6 right from the PC where the data resides. I thought "HUH???", but it's true.

And, there is NO floppy access and the floppy IS functional.

I finally believe those of you who say V8 works fine and fast in XP.

Anybody have any idea why this is?????

Mike
            Thank you,
            Mike Konoff

Comment

Working...
            X