Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Passing Alpha variable to DOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passing Alpha variable to DOS

I have printed 4 reports to file, then I have (through a batch file) had DOS append the files into a single file.

What I would like to do, I need to rename the single file using information stored in an Alpha variable.

I have saved my variables in the Variable.Var file, and there is an entry within that file referring to the week number: WEEKNO=38, so I would like to use this variable to rename PayRoll.asc to Week38.asc or WeekNo38.asc, bearing in mind that the number will change weekly.

I think have got my head around the variables within Alpha, but am still in the dark when it comes to variables in DOS:)

TIA
    Keith

RE: Passing Alpha variable to DOS

Hi Kieth

Here I am again. Listen, I don't kow the proper HTM codes so I've included a doc file for my ideas on this.

Get back if you think I might help further.

Alpha On!

Ken

Comment

Hi Ken,

You can't go far without me:)

Thanks for your reply and the attached document.

What you have suggested is exactly what I am looking for, unfortunately I can�t get it to work.

When I step through the script with debug, all variables populate with the correct information and the screen blips when it goes through the �exec� part, but the file name remains unchanged.

Any suggestions:)

TIA
      Keith

Comment

Kieth:

After you run the debug, look in the variables for %cmnd and post it here with the the actual old file and new file names.

We have a syntax and maybea path problem - or - if you haven't already, you might see what the problem is. Did you have the 'pause' in the batch, and if so, what does the screen print above it?

Oh, by the way the batch should have "REN %1 %2" not RENAME! DUH! forgot the correct syntax and passed it on to you. I just tried it here and REN is the command of choice - RENAME generated a "bad ommand or file name" Like I said D U H !

Get back, I'm excited about the outcome.

Ken

Comment

I haven't got the Manuals handy, (they are back home about 1000 miles away). But I believe Alpha 4 Version 6 and hence version 7 have a built in script command for renaming files.
          Look under the files heading of section that list the script commands by purpose.
          You could have your script wait till the combined file is created and then use the rename script command.

Hope this helps

Comment

Paul Kaboom!

BY jove you've done it! There is life after birth and there is INDEED a script command {FILERENAME} and it will definitely take those variables. You devil! T H A N K S this will be a lot easier than the batch/DOS stuff I was doing.

You know, after about 10 years of this you think you know every thing, then comes along somebody who actually read the manuals and shows you up every time.

Kieth, I understand where Paul's coming from and can still help if you need it.

Thanks again Paul.

Comment

Hi Guys

Ken,
              I have now got it working ok, thanks to your prompting, it was a path problem, I hadn�t given the path of where the batch file was residing, therefore it wasn�t running the batch file.

Paul,
              Now you have pointed out the filerename command I can remember seeing it before, while looking for another command.

There are a few commands that I have noticed that must have come with version 7 as there is no reference to them in the manual, any ideas?

Shakeron & Shakeroff, CB_substr & CB_stuff.

Thank you both for your input, I�ll try and make the questions harder next time, otherwise its no fun for you:)

Comment

Paul and Keith:

Paul - thanks again for the {Filerename} tip.

Keith: When you're in the script editor ad DO pull up
                {FILERENAME} it comes up with the parameters it expects. This does seem a more viable way to do it as it would be entirely 'under the covers' without shelling out to a dosscreen. Haven't tried it but I know that Paul would not put us on to something bad.

You might still want to give it a shot.

Thanks for the fun of participating.

Ken

Comment

may I have a copy of this this doc file. I am doing something similar, it may help

Comment

Working...
                  X