Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Another open Letter To Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another open Letter To Alpha

This may be somewhat of a repeat of my earlier comments, but I think they are worth saying again.

I still think a "Hands On Tutorial" something similar to the "Video Professor" product would be one of the best investments Alpha could make for people to try A5.

According to the commercials I have seen on TV, you would simply install and launch A5. Then you would put the tutorial CD in the computer and follow the on screen instructions. It would show people how to make a DBF in A5...how to build and index....etc...etc. and ALL ON SCREEN. You can rewind and play as many times as required. The benefit here is you can learn each phase before going on to the next.

It's all done "on screen and hands on" instead of having to slog through the high tech typed documentation that comes with A5. I think alot of people just need to be shown the basics.

I think the on screen tutorial is a great idea. I would pay extra for a product like this. Maybe then more A4 users would at least try the A5 product.

Let's face it. I have purchased A5....Alot of other A4 users have purchased A5 and we don't have the time for a learning curve. Most consider A5 as a very costly small frisby.

With this on screen tutorial, learning the basics could be done in an afternoon. The CD could even be broken into 2 parts. 1) Show basics for new users. 2) more detailed stuff to learn later.

Which would be more expensive, upgrading A4 to a Windoz A4, or creating this tutorial CD?

If you don't want to make the Tutorial CD, we are waiting for our Windoz A4

RS

RE: Another open Letter To Alpha

See if this is any help.

Comment

Here's the url for Alpha Five vers. 2 FAQ, almost all of which still pertain to vers. 4. This site contains all the 'how to's' you mention, and dozens more.

http://www.alphasoftware.com/support/tech/alpha5/v2faq.asp

Comment

Thanks fellas...I will have a look.

RS

Comment

Hi Rick-

No official statements (or promises) here, but with the release of Alpha Five version 5, you might find something like what you're asking for here in your post...

-Brenden

Brenden Cobb
          Alpha Software

Comment

Thanks Brendon

When is this A5v5 coming out? I will give it a lengthly look over.

I fear, however, that no matter how easy A5v5 is, alot of people will still want to continue with A4.

If there was a simple (magic button) transfer of all DBF files, scripts, indexes, forms, letters and reports, things may be different. More people would transfer across.

I look at all my Applications, sets, forms, reports, letters etc etc, and I fear I am looking at a daunting task.

Another thing when it comes to the business end. WE TRUST A4. I know that sounds funny, but when I print a certain document (running numerous scripts and variables), I know that A4 will do the job faithfully/completely and without me having to worry whether end product is correct. That is because I have used A4 for 10 years.

It will take some time before I would give that kind of trust to a freshly designed new program (especially when you are not sure of what you are doing).

If I were you guys at Alpha, I WOULD NOT GIVE UP ON A WINDOZ A4. There are alot of A4 users out there in the same boat as me. We A4 users have spent 10 years or longer building lengthly, complicated applications that would probably take further years to equate in A5.

A Windoz A4 would be the simplest to use, and (with a few upgrades) will continue to give what the business people need for the future. There are many, many A4 users that simply will not change to A5. A Windoz A4v99 would be nice.

I said I will look at A5v5 (and I will give it a thorough lookover), but if it doesn't work for me, I will certainly let you guys know.

RS

Comment

Hi Rick,

For the last month I've been trying to migrate an Alpha 4 application to Alpha 5v4.5. I figure it's going to take me at least 3 more months if I'm lucky to complete this task.

My sole motivation is just to learn Alpha 5. So far there has been nothing that I have done in Alpha 5 that was any harder to do in Alpha 4.

To this date, I actually like the user interface of Alpha 4 better than Alpha 5. As of today, the only thing I like better about Alpha 5 is the ability to print a specific page of a multi page report.

This process gives me the feeling like I'm repeating a year of schooling. Last year I learned a subject in French, and this year I'm learning the same subject in Latin.

Well, complaining about Alpha 5 is like cursing the dark. At this point though, I would gladly purchase Alpha 4v8 for windows.

Ron
              Alpha 5 Version 11
              AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
              DBF's and MySql
              Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Thanks Ron.

I thought (and still do think) that an on screen tutorial would work the best for A5. I said I would have a look at A5v5 when it comes out, and I am a man of my word.

However, then I took a look at what I had in A4.

It has taken me years of adding things, revamping, tweeking the system, etc to get to the final product I have today. I don't have that much time left to start a new program from scratch.

There is no magic one button transfer from A4 from A5. It takes quite a bit of time just as you are pointing out and that's after you learn the program well enough to be confident in doing so.

I still think that a Windoz A4 is the best solution. It would compliment..and not compete against A5.

RS

Comment

Rick,

How can you keep making statements to which you have no facts?

"Alot of other A4 users have purchased A5 and we don't have the time for a learning curve. Most consider A5 as a very costly small frisby."

Now there's a slam that should offend even Alpha, it does me!!! Ya don't like A5 (and there's things I don't like about it) but please don't keep playing the broken record. Let it be. When v5 comes out, see if it's to you're liking. If not, that's cool. It will not be for everybody.

kenn (:>>)

P.S. Rick, I'm one of those A4 users and I certainly don't consider A5 to be "a very costly small frisby"!!
                  TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Kenn

You seem to get nastier and nastier as the days go by.

I did say I was going to look at A5.

We A4 supporters will let it be when we have our Windoz A4.

All you have to do is look on the A4 is it worth it string to no where I am coming from...and I do consider a computer CD program a costly small frisby If I can't use it.

Maybe A5v5 will change my mind.

RS

Comment

Is this the same Rick Sloan who was arguing in a previous thread that A4 does everything he needs it to do and that A5 can't do anything valuable enough to make learning it worth his time?

What exactly would you like A4v8 to do that A4v7 can't do? Is there some hint in your desire for a version 8 of A4 that A4 DOESN'T do everything you need?

Comment

paul-
                        A4v7 could use a windows driver for the typeset print mode. bill

Comment

Hi Paul

I started this string to perhaps assist Alpha in marketing their A5 product with an on screen tutorial and that's all.

Yes you are right that A4 does everything I need. All you have to do is read the other string "A4v7 is it worth it" to find out what A4 needs to be perfect.

There are a handful of you guys in this forum that really like and use A5. You can see yourselves on the other strings (look at "A4v7 is it worth it" and "An open letter to Alpha"). See how these strings develop. I'm sorry to say, but you people don't win any of the arguments.

I made no bones about saying I would try A5 in those strings. I said I would.

I will either be a convert or I will have even more ammunition to carry on the fight for a WinA4v8.

RS

Comment

RS,

That's not what you said. Your statement, "Most consider A5 as a very costly small frisby." really says that most people consider A5 to be nothing more than a very costly frisbee.

By accusing me of being "nasty and nastier", you're taking this to a very personal level. That's not good. I�ve not referred to you with personnel adjectives so please refrain.

You also seem to want the last word so I�m not going to respond any further. When you respond to this, please think about the use of your words before making reference to others ("We A4 supporters...") or about products you know nothing about. Are you sure all A4 users share your opinion? Do you speak for the folks who use both A5 and A4?

Adios,

kenn

P.S. You missed the point that Paul was trying to make.
                            TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,

When Rick mentioned "frisby" he WAS speaking for himself. Do a search on this message board for "frisby". The earliest article having "frisby" is from 12/29/01 23:05. The following sentence is copied & pasted from that message from Rick.

"To me it was/is a low cost frisby."

Looks to me like he's speaking for himself there and not anybody else.

Mike
                              Thank you,
                              Mike Konoff

Comment

Working...
                              X