Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

I have given up on A4V7!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: I have given up on A4V7!!

Carl,

Can you list which specific version of Alpha Four you're using with which specific version of Windows?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Thank you,
    Mike Konoff

Comment

linda-
      sorry that you've had so much trouble. if alpha software issues an upgrade of A4v7 with a windows driver for typeset mode, your problem should be solved. also, i've run data on version 6 after running it on version 7 without any problems. however, if your data has been corrupted, you'll probably have problems running it on any program. good luck! bill

Comment

Mike,
        I have Windows eXtra problems Home edition. Came loaded on a Compaq 5320US Pent 4. I am attempting to use A4v7. It initially ran but printed only the first page of a report. After downloading the patch the whole program crashed. Alpha sent me a replacement disk with the patch. That would not load at all. Selwyn suggested reloading the original. I did that after deleting the program through DOS as it would not erase with the program delete in the Windows program. The original then loaded as it should. From the menu the program will not run. Trying to get it run with a DOS prompt I get the following message, "C:progra~1Alphaf~2>a4v7.exe-2 DOS/16M Error| [17] system software does not follow VCPI or DPMI specifications".

Comment

Bill:
          I wish I had read your comments before I bought the program. I hate to leave alpha but its worthless unless it prints.
          Did you get yours fixed?
          David

Comment

Bill,

Do you have to use v7? Will v6 be sufficient? If not, how about Alpha5?

kenn
            TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

david-
              A4v7 prints fine in standard mode with a Windows printer, and under both standard and typeset modes with a DOS printer. Hopefully Alpha Software will upgrade A4v7 to handle typeset mode with a Windows printer. bill

Comment

We have installed V7 but in my opinion and from our experience here in a high volume fulfillment order entry operation, the best way to run Alpha 4 is through an earlier operating system, the operating system it was designed to operate under when it was developed. We use System Commander and run Alpha4 V6 on MS DOS, Windows 3.1. We have it installed on 95/98/NT, but why fight the reliability issues? We have not had a crash or loss of data in a year and we run highly complex sets in high volume.

With System Commander we get a choice when booting up to choose 95/98/NT or DOS. Our new programs are on the newer operating systems. A4 is on DOS/ Win 3.1. This may seem like a cop-out but we could not possibly suffer what is described as "data corrpution" caused running V7 on the newer XP, 2000 operating systems.

Alpha Four is the best database program on the market based upon a lot of experimentation here. Even our warehouse people can use this mouse-less, intuitive program in their work, something they could not do with Version 5 or Access. It is fast, easy to program, and reliable when used in its native environment, DOS.

Reliability and ease of use is everything. A little inconvenience of rebooting to NT minor compared with restoring lost data trying to press A4 into the newer operating systems not designed for this product.

Comment

Albert-
                  I agree that Alpha4 is a terrific dbase program. I've no comment on your preference for running v6 on dos printer.
                  I've had good experience running v6 on dos printer like you, and using v7 on a windows printer. The problem is the printer manufacturers are gradually ceasing to make dos printers. bill

Comment

Albert;
                    We use A4v6 extensively in our operation and are using it right now on Win 3.11, Win 95, Win 98, and Win 98 SE equipped machines. While I agree with you that it runs very well under Win 3.1(1) (I still use it periodically on a 386 here for certain applications), my experience is that it runs even better (certainly faster) under Win 95 and Win 98.

I am currently "testing" V7 on my machine (running Win 98) and find that it is certainly more stable than V6.

For what it's worth.

Duncan

Comment

Hi all.

Most HP Laser printers still recognize PCL5 and 6. I find you cannot go wrong using HP printers.

Call HP before you purchase a new printer and ask if it is DOS compatible. If at the end of the conversation it is compatible, ask for the conversation "case number". They will give you a number relating to your conversation which has been recorded. If you get the printer home and it is not satisfactory, you may take it back to the place of purchase for a refund. You will not be able to do that without the case number.

HP developed the computer language for printers. I am sure most of them will be DOS compatible.

RS

Comment

Rick,

I'm not so optimistic about HP and DOS compatibility.

The newer color printers and multi-purpose (copier, scanner, printer, fax) units arrive with special software which loads each time Windows sends a print job to the device. This special software sits between Windows and the printer. Can't print without it, so far as I've been able to tell. I'm skeptical that these arrangements will accommodate DOS print sequences.

-- tom

Comment

I have an HP DeskJet 970 Cse...relatively new. I plug in control codes in my printer setup and it uses many of them without a problem. I do this in A4V6.

Mike
                          Thank you,
                          Mike Konoff

Comment

Tom;
                            We use A4v6 here quite extensively, with "typeset" printing being the major component of our print jobs. I would second Rick's conclusions on HP Laserjets ... we use an HP 4050 and a couple of very old HP IIIs for a majority of our jobs. But for colour A4 printing, we have an HP 1170C (a combo printer/scanner/copier) and using a Deskjet 850C driver I get very good colour typeset printing ... a little slow, but good quality. My point is that I bet an existing HP Deskjet driver will likely be usable for most(?) HP Deskjets.

Duncan

Comment

tom, rick & duncan-
                              there sure are HP printers that are NOT DOS compatiable. I have one of them... a HP OfficeJet 610. bill

Comment

Duncan,

I believe you, and I'm glad it's working out. I just wouldn't want to bet the business on things continuing to work that way forever. The incentive for getting the HP customer base to gradually replace and upgrade everything is so powerful that I don't think HP will be able to withstand it, eventually.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                                X