Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

I have given up on A4V7!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: I have given up on A4V7!!

Bill

Linda is not the only developer who is having these type of problems. If her case was isolated I would agree with you but in this case I think Linda is right this product upgrade needs more work. My upgrade has also been returned.

Malcolm Ransom

Comment

Hi all.

I have just picked up an HP1220. This is a laserjet unit. Before I purchased, I called HP to ensure this unit would run a dos program. I was assured it would. At the end of the conversation, I asked for the "case number". I was given a 10 or 12 didgit number (which I kept). This case number allows me to take the unit back for a refund if it does not do what HP says it will do. At HP every conversation is recorded.

I set up the new 1220 and then called HP. It would not print (because of that printer support program that works between as Tom had mentioned). The tech support person had me mouse click in a couple of spots, and now it works fine.

I cannot really comment on ink jet printers. They are used more for graphics and pictures, where lasers are used more for an office environment.

It would be very simple to call HP and give them some background of what you need (such as speed, price range, Inkjet or laser, etc), and ask them what printer would work under DOS. They will even give you the closest dealer to where you live.

If you want to use an ink jet printer, I would advise calling HP before you buy. It could save you alot of time. Lasers though? If if it says PCL5 or PCL6 it will work with DOS. Even if your trusted computer dealer assures you it will work in DOS, I would still call HP and get that case number. It makes for easier returns.

Regards to all

RS.

Comment

Miike,

Just read your comments in the ongoing pissing contest re: A4V7. Specifically, I'm interested in how you set up your HP 970Cse. The app I wrote for one of my clients is presently running under A4V6, but they changed from an older laser printer that worked fine to the HP 970Cse, and now there are random printing problems, mostly when printing labels.

Any info on how you married the HP to A4 (even though you are addressing V7 and my client's problem is V6) would really be appreciated. I initially thought the fix would be to upgrade them to V7, but I'm having second thoughts, since they are VERY high maintenance.

Dave Jampole
        Dave Jampole
        www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Hi Dave,

I too am using the DeskJet 970 Cse with Alpha Four Version 6. I believe I mentioned that. Anyway, I can offer no assistance when printing labels as a label from A4V6. Currently we use and print many 4? x 6? labels from A4V6 to place on packages of parts we manufacture. When we print a label, it?s a REPORT that we print (not a LABEL) to the printer that has 4? x 6? labels fed in from the bottom with a ?perf? between each label to allow each label to be torn individually. And in this case, we are printing to a Dot-Matrix Printer.

I do print various reports as reports on 8-1/2? x 11? white paper. To use the DeskJet I connected the printer to my PC and installed the printer driver in windows printer setup. It?s connected to LPT1. I then went into Alpha Four and created a new printer configuration using HP DESKJET SERIES LANDSCAPE. At that point I could easily print from A4. Using CONTROL CODE?S from an old HP Laserjet Users Manual, I began experimenting with sending these code?s to the printer from Alpha?s printer configuration for this printer. Some don?t work, many do. I think the BIGGEST problem that I have found with sending control code?s to the printer via the printer configuration is what I believe I must do to get the new/changed printer configuration made current and be used.

It seems if I simply change/adjust a printer configuration, the change won?t take and I?ll think the control code change doesn?t work with that printer. However, I have found that if after I make changes to a printer configuration and then open a report that will use that printer configuration, I have to put the report in Edit Mode, press F7, go to record selection and print settings, go to printer, ?RE-SELECT? (this is key) the same printer (if printer is printer K, select K again), save, and exit. It seems that only then will the newly changed/adjusted control codes work correctly.

I?ll try printing some labels from A4 and see what I encounter. Though, typically when I want to print labels using data from A4 (not often) I?ll use Avery?s LabelPro software. It will read A4 DBF?s.

Please let me know if I?ve confused you even more or have helped answer any of your questions.

Thanks,
          Mike
          Thank you,
          Mike Konoff

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I'll get over to my client's office and see what trouble I can cause. Of course, if I'm unsuccessful, I can reinforce the point that I wasn't consulted when they changed printers.

Dave
            Dave Jampole
            www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

To just about anyone with the problem of A4V7 not working. I do consulting for this very problem for three companies. and they all use a combination of enviroments. so send me your specific setup problems (IE OS, PRINTER, and dbf size, field count, and relational map) I can see if there is a workable solution, but most of you are being a bit vague about the problems you are having. So it is hard to address the issue.

Randy

Comment

Randy,

Have you had any success with getting the typeset printers to work properly? If so, I'd be interested in whatever solutions you can offer. Also, I'm having some huge problems with my memo fields. Let me know what information you need. Thanks.

Linda

Comment

linda-
                  alpha4v7 is not designed (yet) to work in typeset mode, only in standard print mode. if you need typeset mode and have DOS print drivers, use version 6. bill salter

Comment

Linda;
                    Version 7 works in typeset mode exactly as version 6. So, if your printer works with v6, you should have no problems with v7. V7 is printing perfectly for me in "regular mode" with "Windows printers", and through DOS in typeset (both on a local HP Laser and to a networked HP Laser. I am, however, using Win 98 on a Win peer-to-peer network, which may be quite different from your situation.

Duncan

Comment

DUNCAN-
                      you're right. i should have added to my first sentence "in windows mode". also, i use w98. bill

Comment

Thanks Duncan,

We have a Windows 2000 network (I don't know if it's peer to peer - I'll have to ask the network guy). What's happening is that when I have those windows drivers set up, and I try to print in typeset mode, A4 defaults to the windows driver. You know the big window that comes up when you're printing in typeset mode - the one that asks about the bin and the characters per inch? That doesn't even come up - it looks like I'm printing in standard mode. I've solved the problem somewhat by getting rid of those windows printers and just sticking with DOS printers, which are all printing strangly now too. I had to change the settings on all those reports. My biggest problem is that I can only print my typeset reports from the one workstation that actually has the network printer attached to it. I've set the LPT on every typeset report to LPT1, which is the only way I can get it to work. For some reason, if I set the LPT to anything else, it changes back to standard mode. It works, but certainly not the way it used to.

Judging from what everyone's said, I'm either going to live with things the way they are now, or change the server back to Windows 98 and go back to V.6. Sorry choice, I have to say.

Linda

Comment

Linda;
                          It almost sounds like the report you are sending to print does not have a typeset printer set up. Can you check this? If you go to "Layouts", "Reports", "Create/Edit Report", "Select Report", select your report, and then push "F7 GOTO", and select "Typeset Printing Defaults", is the DOS printer there and to the "correct" LPT? This sounds like it might be the problem.

Duncan

Comment

Randy,
                            I read you message on the A4V7 forum.
                            I have used A4 since ver 2 or so. So long ago now, I've forgotten where I came in but around dos3.1 before 3.11 I believe. I'm a physician and wrote an application to manage my prescriptions including printing them out and handing them to my patient at the time of visit. A4 has worke well except reliability problems> I found and use a program P/mode dos extender or something like that which seed to stabilize A4 rinning in a windoe in WIN98se. It still crashes 2-3 x'x week but recovery usually dosent entail rebooting 5-6 times. I'm migrating to Win XP so bought V7 which I installed 3 weeks ago. I can't get it to run my application properly and haven't tried printing yet. Specifically, I get and error while entering data "Lock Error Un-locking" with the choices of "Continue Retry Escape Main menu" I've never seen this before. Any ideas? I'f I fire up V6 all is well again. But my XP machine is waiting.
                            Thanks for any help you may have to offer.
                            Bob Slayden, M.D.
                            Atlanta, GA

Comment

Linda,

Sorry for the rebuke, but the lack of best-practices you have just described are simply another reminder that there is no substitute for a real, solid IT background. Comverted to 2000 for 4 months before you knew your memo data was disappearing? Installed V7 with no retreat plan in place? WOW!

You never, never, never upgrade an OS, or an application version without FULLY TESTING IT and having a road home in the event Mr. Murphy rears his ugly head! This seems simple to those with an IT background, but it is merely another indicator of the problem one runs into in creating an application "for non-programmers".

I suggest to all of you that there is a major difference between running a home system to keep track of your receipes and running a business system. GET SOME BASICS under your belt before bemoaning the package. While it is easier and more tempting, it usually (but not always) pilot error, not the plane.

I apologize for the elitist tone, but when I read these whinney notes about returning a truly remarkable product like the one we use, it simply brings home the awesome chore associated with developing and supporting this product.

If there is one thing I have learned in my 25 years as a programmer and IT manager it is this :

99% of the time, the problem is BTCK!

(Between the chair and the keyboard)!

Good Luck

Comment

The easiest way to correct the printer problems is to deactivate the new windows printing in A6v7, edit it out of the start up batch file and use the old printer definitions that you used in a6. You may not be able to use some of the new printers but almost all of the laser will run on a hp II setup. We did this and it works fine our reprots print in typeset mode with no problems, we cant use our ink jets but we don't care, we have a brand new Kyocera 17ppm networked laser that prints great, no problems.......If you need special reports using window drivers use a5 or access just as a report printer, I have done that too.

Comment

Working...
                                X