Alpha Video Training

Thread: V7 with XP on network

Mike Learned

Default V7 with XP on network

I have installed WinXP on my peer-to-peer network attempting to share the files on its drive with Win98 users.
    Using V7 on all machines, it constantly locks up the remote user when trying to enter a record (ctrl-enter). I assume I've done something wrong in setting up XP, does anyone have any ideas?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: V7 with XP on network

Mike,

I don't have XP, so take this with a grain of salt.

After you installed XP did you go through the process of authorizing each of the work stations to read/write data to it? I ask because there may be security measures in place by default which would prevent remote workstations from being able to update information on the XP server.

-- tom

Mike Learned

I've checked everything that I could find. I even tried trying V6 to open on the remote computer, but it still locks everything.
    I did find that if I open a file in the other direction (i.e. Win98 server, XP remote) and all worked ok.

I getting a looming feeling of being lost.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Possibly, but don't give up the ship just cause we're taking on a bit of water.

I've assumed the database files are on the XP machine, and that A4v7 is loaded on the workstation.

In order for A4v7 to reach and connect to the XP machine's files the workstation must have the right 'privileges', or XP will disallow access in the name of maintaining security.

Have you granted read/write privileges to each workstation?
    -- tom

Mike Learned

Well, I called Alpha Install support and they led me to protocol defaults. this at first did not seem to work, so I got more frustrated. But after attempting to use it again and the system seemed to freeae, I changed some of the sharing functions on the XP system while leaving the other computer as-is. After I finished, I turned an saw the that the remote seemed to be working. I rushed over to it and tested it several times, and it seemed to work just fine. I rebooted the XP system to see if this was a fluke, and sure enough after the reboot, I tried again and all seemed as it had been. I waited several minutes and it began to work.
    If this is the best I can get, I guess it will work. But I sure would like to know what is going on.

Real Name
    Alex Levy

On version 6 there was a setting that told Alpha Four how many seconds to wait before refreshing data. I myself don't care to wait more than 3-5 seconds for fresh data. That may be why it "seems" to not be working at times.

It also sounds like there are networking issues beyond the role of Alpha Four. i.e. rights and access of the operating system don't really have anything to do with the application program (Alpha Four). However, there are also licensing issues to worry about.

I have not yet purchased V7...anxiously watching to see if there are any bugs to worry about.

Alex Levy