Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A4V7 is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: A4V7 is it worth it?

I think that is well stated too, Richard.

Let me see if I have this straight. We do all of the work in A4 and use A5 as a printer driver. I'll go along with that!

RS

Comment

Unless they totally change the PC, DOS, (Disk Operating System)found on all PCs, DOS is not going anywhere. Even windows 2000 has a command equivallent of cmde. DOS is a fundamental part of the PC. Otherwise, they may as well develop a whole new PC, accompanying BIOS, and Operating System to boot. What DOS will be used for is another story.

Bill Gates has obvious reasons for not supporting 16 bit apps. anymore, rather than DOS itself which has nothing to do with it. He is keen on futuristic fantasia and controlling it all. Remember Word Perfect, Lotus 1-2-3, dbase, navigator, etc.. all had lionshare before Word, Excell, Access,explorer, and other ruthless monopolistics bully products came out, some times for free just to beat up the little guy! Gates was never the first, a tad clever but no genius, a spoiled brat more than anything, he just takes over better than anyone else and eats anything in its path while snowballing the growth through catalyzing power.The MS products have lionshare now is not because they are better, they suck, but because microsoft's name is on them and the masses feel most comfortable supporting products made by the people who made the underlying operating system. They give us less choice and an inferior products ALWAYS while stagnating better and more modern products and killing our economy. Try arguing with something this size, even in court. Remember OJ?

Anyways, I am a computer consultant by trade and short of the Operating System, I don't like ANY microsoft's cumbersome products, I don't want to even get an MSCE and forced to learn their products or be out of work. Who said life was fair huh.

So A5 was a logical move to go with the flow, and who had any choice. I bought A5 and it collects dust, hard to learn, couldn't be bothered, microsoft screwed us up again... Alpha 4 is the easiest and most powerful software anywhere I feel. I havn't seen A5V5 yet. It took us long enough to know A4 well, and we don't have the luxury of time. So to continue supporting A4 I think would be a great move.

Its the ease the power that made Alpha, it is the ease and power that will sustain Alpha. It's microsoft that screwed up the market, not A5, A5 was a forced move.

Comment

Hi James,

No one can argue about your comments on microsoft.

Seemingly, there is a new operating system coming soon called "Lindows" (no joke). It is supposed to run both Linux and Windoz apps. Thus the name. You can find it at "Lindows.com".

I have E-mailed them the question whether they will be able to run DOS apps as well. Hopefully, I will get a response soon and I will advise the Forum members.

I also heard that Microsoft is going to sue this upstart company....they say "because of the name" (ya right).

If it gets off the ground, one can only hope that it is faster and more stable than windoz and easier to set up and use than Linux. It may be more stable, since it will include the ability to run Linux.

It is just unfortunate that Linux did not come before Windoz. We would all be better off if it had.

Is it not ironic, that a Windoz language A4 would give us an opportunity not to use Windoz?

RS

Comment

YOU ARE A COMPANY MAN

Comment

Harry, if you're referring to me, you're mistaken. But in this instance I take no offense, since there is much to admire in the way that Alpha Software does business.

-- tom

Comment

**�I for one don't want or need the "Look or Feel" of A5. **
              Rick, are you guaranteeing you won�t eat a bit of crow over this statement?

**You keep talking about limited users for a Windoz A4. I disagree**

**We have to show there is a market and support for a4v7 before anything else will be done. **
              Any future releases of v4 will be for the sole purpose of A4's already established market. (Give or take a few) You�ll never see A4v8 unless the majority of the current A4 users purchase v7.

**Since that time I have ensured any of my new computers use Win 98 and I use HP printers. **
              Are you saying you won�t ever use any other OS? The time will come when, you WILL!!

Anyone who disagrees with your comments about the earlier versions of A5 and the current documentation is in an extreme minority. However, how hot was A4v1? Then came 4v2 - 4v7. I�d hardly call that a panacea. Doesn�t mean I don�t like it. Simply means there�s always room for improvement. When improvement�s stop, the product will become extinct.

**I do find it strange you are trying to sell an A5 product that is not even out yet. You do not know if A5v5 is "the" product. I also fear you will making the same comments in the future, like "wait till A5v7 comes out. I hear it will be "the" best". **
              Let�s see, how many versions of A4 are there? Don�t be too critical of v5 until you�ve seen it. If you try it, you might like it. I think your crystal ball is clouded. How is it you know v5 will also have a huge learning curve?

I didn�t let my copies of A5v1 - v3 collect dust! No sir, not me. Nope. Nada. I said, �Adios�. They went in the �can� a long time ago!!

Rick, we agree on may things about A4 and some things about A5. Furthermore, A4v8 (Varooooom) may be released and I hope it is. We disagree on the market share of A4 vs A5. I WILL GUARENTEE that Alpha does NOT view the marketability of A4 in the same light as A5. A5 holds the key for Alpha�s success.

The future releases of A5 will be for a share of the market held by Access and other database products. A market that A4 cannot compete in.

Kenn
              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

If there is NO feature in A4 then WHY did Sewlyen put out a message on this forum wanting someone OF US to publish a news letter on a weekly basis. Sounds to me like they are willing and trying to support this product. Do we really need a WINDOZE interface. I too tried the V5 HOME & Business Ver. NO GO. Gave it to a friend. Tried the Ver. 1 or 2. I sent it back LETTING them KNOW I am NOT supporting it. Tried for 45 days with NO LUCK Whatsoever. Could not even get one simple little database going. With A4 tutoril manual it explained it SO WELL Not A5, It did not cut it at all. I use the Get Dates in many of my Databases that I learned in A4 tutorial. Had a hard time getting it RIGHT but did not give up for I was just starting. When two Icons do the SAME thing it is HARD to tell what you are doing and that is just what A5 did for me. I had NO control of what I was trying to do in A5. Could NOT print a check with the format of writing out the $ amont as on a check. A4 did that in V4. When I pay bills I use that and all I have to do is pik a payee type in a $ amount. and BAM the check is printed and I just sign it and stick it in the envelope. Prints the Dup too which I attach to my bills. May they changed that but the HOME & Business Ver would NOT do that. It seemed OK but I threw it out with that but if they had kept the SCRIPTING it may have been with some improvement. It would not leave things where I put them. Such SMALL text on pick list it was NOT FUNNY. They seem to take AWAY features in NEW Versions. WHY. A4 has continually ADDED. I Have never found a feature that has been removed in a NEWER Version. Some still use V3 for business too. Just check the forum titie DON't LAUGH. Even seen ones with questions for Ver. 1 or 2. Even found a copy in a used PC Store. It worked rather well.

Ken # 3

I will support and use A4 as long as they upgrade it. Started with V4 and have loved it from start. Was looking for a Programer of Clarion when CompUSA recommended Alpha. I have played with others but have had NO SUCCESS at all with any of them. Just like to see if I can. But, just keep going back to Good ole Faithful.

Comment

Ken,

The home and business version is not the same as the full version of A5.

For Alpha to come out with v7 speaks to a level of commitment not seen in other software companies. If v8 is released, this will go far above and beyond the call of duty to the v4 users. I sincerely hope Alpha puts out v8, v9, etc.

A4 is a great product, no doubt about it!!!!!! (:>>>>)

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi Kenn

Ken has covered it very well, but you asked me some questions and I feel compelled to answer.

When you ask how many versions did A4 have, we are talking apples and oranges here.

I have used A4 since v2 (and I am sure v1 was just as easy to use). Notice I said the word USED. There was nothing I could not do with this v2 given the day but every upgrade contained very notworthy features that were simple to use (in an already easy to use program).

I tried A5 and could not make "hide ner tail" out of it at all. Ken has purchased almost all upgrades to A5 and the complaint is the same. Many others in this string also say A5 is simply too complex and time consuming to learn. Which program has the biggest downfall? At least I can use A4. Isn't that what you buy a program for?

You commented of the limited number of users for Windoz A4? I submit there would be far more A4 users, when given the opportunity to compare between the products.

Some programmers in this string have commented that they would have preferred to write some of their clients programs in a4. It was simply the best product and would do the best job for that application. Their client balked however when they found it was a DOS product. Stigma ? This problem would disappear with a Windoz a4. The programmer would simply use whatever product is best for the job (Some people need the GUI and some do not. LIKE IT OR NOT, most people and companies out there do not need the GUI).

As I have stated earlier in this string, A4 does not require the look and feel of a windoz product to be functional (although you could have it work in a window if you want).

The only features missing in our a4 that people and offices need are: (1) The ablility to fax from within the program (2) The ablility to E-mail from within the program. (3) use any printer manufacturer in the equivelant to the typest mode.

A windoz a4 would alleviate these problems.

I like the way I paraphrased Richard's last line comment. We can do all of the work in a4 and use a5 as a printer driver. In fact, some of us would pay real money for that setup.

Remember though, when we get our windoz a4, we won't even need a5 for that.

RS

Comment

www.alphasoftware.com/products/a5v5/newfeatures.asp

Comment

with reference to the last paragraph of your letter, I think that you may have forgotten that Alpha4 scripts provide all those things.

Comment

Hi Rick

I have used Alpha4 starting with version 2 to 6. When
                          Alpha5 version came out it could not do all the things
                          Alpha4v6 could do. Especially being able to record keystrokes to speed up applications.I kept hoping with every new version of Alpha5,It would get better. When Alpha5v4 came out most of the things I could do in Apha4v6 now I could do in Alpha5,plus much more. I was working with both programs for about a year. I enter data in Alpha5v4 and
                          transfer it alpha4v6 to view. I was afraid to give Alpha4
                          up. But my company was forcing us to go to a "all windows"
                          environment. I Finally was able to go Alpha5 only, and now
                          I would not want to go back. The Alpha5 message board has
                          help me so much. If I have a question, some one out there
                          will help me. recently I had some one show me how to set up "keystroke commands". I do not like using the mouse,
                          keystrokes are faster like in Alpha4. Your right the
                          learning curve will take time, and would not jump to Alpha5 until I was ready, but there are plenty of people will to
                          help on this message board.
                          was ready.

Comment

i bought A4v7 the instant I heard of it. To improve printing would ammortize the cost in just a few hours
                            of work.

There are many computer applications in the world of
                            business that are mature. They don't change much. They just need a little upgrading now and then. They
                            don't need a "new look" like redecorating a house.

Business needs productivity and its hard to come by with
                            all the operating system and application upgrades. I have
                            several programs that are years old, and all they need,
                            is the ability to print on the current printer, and to run under whatever is the most stable operating program.

Top notch manuals are worth their weight in gold to me. Time is money. An hour here, an hour there wandering aimlessly through the help files adds up quickly. I for one will gladly pay more for top notch manuals than for the program.

Art Lund

Comment

i love working with Alpha4, but there are still improvements that can be made. i only hope that the powers-to-be solicit ideas from us users before they consider version 8. bill

Comment

Working...
                              X