Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A4V7 is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A4V7 is it worth it?

Hi,

I have been a loyall A4 fan for sometime and am the owner
    of A5v4.5 as well.
    But I just love the ease of use that A4vr6 offers me.
    When I heard that there was a new version 7 that properly
    supports WIN/NT/ME/2000 etc.. I was quite impressed.

My question is simple to those who own the current version
    pf A4V7. Have you found it worth the upgrade price and
    would you reccomend it.

Thanks
    Jeff

RE: A4V7 is it worth it?

Hi Jeff

I have installed A4v7 right into my A4v6 Folder. I find it works great. It seems to use memory better, and there have been no crashes so far.

I think it's worth the price of admission for not allowing Bill Gates at Windoz kill Dos (which he seems very keen on doing) because that would kill A4.

Alpha should consider a windows based product...but use the same field names, script names, everything the same as in alpha4. This would make the transition seemless. That way us hard working guys could carry on without the huge learning curve.

Imagine calling a DBF a "table".

Who knows maybe someday.

For now though, this version is worth the money.

RS

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

You are right on the mark with Alphpa making the windows product using the same field names, script names etc that A4 does.
      I have found that importing my A4 databases into A5vr4.5
      leaves lots of work, not to mention the learning curve
      (Sigh!) as if there isn't enough to learn already.
      And I have invested a lot of time in A4 not to mention trying to learn A5 -)
      I still love the ease of use that A4 offers, I can creat a Dbase in seconds.
      Imagine that no GUIs no Dialogue boxes or radial buttons, just fast efficient designeing.

Thanks
      Jeff

Comment

That's exactly right.

There are a countless people out there using A4v3 and above that don't want to give up what they have because they don't have the time to learn C++.....they're working hard trying to earn a living in this fast paced world.

I can understand that A5 has it's place in the world, but A4 is all my company requires.

If Alpha built a windows a4, new things and ideas could be introduced slowly (like they did before), so you would not have the huge "learning curve".

It's only my opinion, but I feel if Alpha had kept the A4 format when they switched over to windows, they would own the "windows based" DB product.

Enough venting....it's time to get back to work.

Regards to all

RS

Comment

All:

You guys love A4 as I do and, really the curve on A5 is a little more than a small challenge.

Sorry, once you've made the change to A5, however, you'll probably never go back.

Ken

Comment

That may be true, Ken....but why have to change at all. You could have the best of both worlds with the ease of A4.

Once in the true windows environment, with all file names the same, the sky would be the limit.....more fields per dbf...more indexes. You could fax and e-mail from within the program. You could ask for no more.

I still say if Mr Rabins had moved to the windows configuration and kept a4 file names intact, he would have the best selling DB program out there by a long shot.

As I said earlier, there is no doubt A5 has its place in the world. I for one do not have the time to learn a whole new system...and I think I speak for countless others as well.

Maybe some day we will get our wish.

Best regards

RS

Comment

I fear a windows 'clone' of Alpha Four would be a miserable failure. Why would anyone pay good money to use it if Alpha Four were still available?

The Windows environment is richer and deeper. For the programmer it's not just a new environment. It's a new way of building programs, and with MDI a new way for users to interact with a running program.

Users have gotten accustomed to being able to multi-task. No longer is the designer in charge... the user controls the flow of program logic interactively in many cases.

Unfortunately, with the power and depth of Windows comes an associated steep learning curve. Alpha Five does a good job of encapsulating and simplifying the complexity. It is not C++ by any reasonable measure.

-- tom

Comment

You're missing the point, Tom. You have just enforced why this project would work.

A windows A4 Couldn't miss.

You would not have the learning curve, because the format would be the same. The A4 windows format would be richer and deeper as well. Theoretically, anything that can be done in a5 could be done with a4. We simply would not have that learning curve.

Why would people switch?

We know it is just a matter of time for DOS A4. If Gates had his way, I'm sure he would have rendered dos useless along time ago. A4V7 is a great stop gap for now...but does not cover all of the issues.

You can only use a windows printer in the standard mode...not type set mode. That still restricts the type of printer I use. If we had a windows A4 that would not be an issue.

How about an A4 with 1000 fields per dbf. More indexes per dbf. Use any printer you want...in effect have it all with no pain.

There are alot of people out there that "grew up" with dos dbf that do not want to learn a new system because Windoz wanted a monoploy.

A5 has its place but so does A4.

RS

Comment

Rick,

It's possible I missed your point, but I think I see it just fine and simply disagree with it.

In my book Alpha Four was (is) a great tool for non-programmers who want to build or customize systems for their personal use. The complexities of building reliable database systems are largely encapsulated within A4's menu driven interface. The field rules and terrific report engine round out the package. The script recorder puts considerable power at the developer's hand, making it possible to build systems that other, less knowledgable, folks can use productively.

Believe it or not I think Alpha Five was designed, from the beginning, to replicate these same strengths in the Windows environment, while simultaneously taking advantage of Windows features that permit the interface to be extended in new ways.

The point I was trying to make, and that perhaps you're overlooking, is that the Windows programming environment is a different kind of beast. The environment itself shapes the look, feel and functionality of Windows programs.

If you literally did what you propose, and port an exact menu driven replica of Alpha Four into Windows no one would buy it. It would not behave like a Windows program. Folks that are used to other Windows programs would not know how to drive it. Folks that want to open multiple simultaneous views of the same table would be frustrated by Alpha Four's single document interface. Folks that want to see the same thing on paper as appears on screen woulld also be disappointed. Folks that like the dialog boxes, picklists, radio boxes, checkboxes and other such standard fare in standard Windows applications will be disappointed to see them missing. They know how these tools work. They'd have to learn the Alpha Four equivalents all over again, and then teach them to each batch of new employees who roll through the office.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom

Maybe I did not explain myself clearly. You did miss my point. I am not a programmer. Obviously you are, and like A5 because of it. That is why I like A4. I like the menu driven A4. I don't need all of the fancy buttons etc., that come with A5 (although A4 could be introduced to them slowly).

I feel, there are alot more of my type of people out there (non programmers) than programmer/developers like you (that is why it would be a good business move).

As I said earlier, A5 has its place. You prove that being a programmer/developer. There is however a need for A4. I prove that (the non programmer). All we A4 (non programmers) are asking is that A4 be put into the windows format to allow us to continue to use it (instead of masking the A4 DOS from windows), and to benefit from some of the monopoly Gates has started and shoved at us (like full use of windows printer drivers, being able to fax from within the program...e-mail from within the program, etc.).

A5 sounds great...I just don't have the time to start all over again, and with an A4 windows product why would I.

Do you see what I mean now?

RS

Comment

I understand the charms(?), appeal, and immediacy of Alpha Four. I sometimes fire it up for quick and dirty work that I need to get done. It isn't just Alpha Four. DOS software, in general, was that way.

However, Alpha Software is never going to make a splash trying to sell a remake of DOS software that runs under Windows. I think their only real market for A4v7 is to current users looking for a solution to the NT/XP problem. And I think they deserve a lot of credit for producing v7 which allows users to continue to run legacy A4 applications.

There are things I don't like about Alpha Five, but it has enough things that I like that it is what I fire up most of the time. If you believe that it's only programmers who like it and prefer it, you're making a big mistake. You can replicate most or all of what you can do in A4 in A5 without programming, and pick up many of the benefits A5 has to offer at the same time. A5 has a script recorder. It has Action Scripting. Neither require you to program.

It would be nice if old apps would simply load up and run in A5, but it isn't going to happen. There isn't going to be a conversion utility from Alpha, either. However, it would be short-sighted not to start developing new apps in A5. It takes a little time to wrap an Alpha Four brain around the Alpha Five way of doing things, but it is worth it.

Comment

Rick,

Yes, I see what you are talking about. Instead of a literal port of the existing menu driven application, you want Alpha Five to be easier to learn and use for non-programmers.

I think that would be good, too. Even better, I think Alpha Software agrees! A new version of Alpha Five is in the works that will significantly enhance it's ease of use, especially for folks who don't write programs for a living. Watch for news on Alpha Five, Version Five...

By the way, I'm not a professional programmer. Just an old Alpha Four user who slogged his way part way to the top of the Alpha Five learning curve, and discovered along the trip that the effort was worthwhile.

-- tom

Comment

Paul,

Well said.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks fellas

I will have a look at A5v5 when it comes out but I have to tell you that my company does not "need" A5. A4 works great.

I still stand by my earlier comments.

I notice on this forum that there are people/companies still using A4v3. They obviously don't require A5, but would stay with the menu driven A4. Jeffry Rosmarin, who started this topic has/is a user of both and likes the idea of windoz a4. This would simply give people a choice of what would be adaquate for their personal/company needs and wants. I would stay with a4, simply because we don't need anything else.

Is a windows A4 a good business proposition? People at Alpha will have to decide that. I do know, with people its hard to break old habits. With companies its "If it ain't broke, why fix it". People and companies would simply gravitate to this product to continue to use the great A4 product we now know and love.

I will investigate A5v5 when it comes out...but given the choice to stay or switch...I'd stay.

Thanks for the discussion, fellas...Its been great.

RS

Comment

Thanks Rick,

Yes I like both.
                              I started with A4 version2 and loved it. I then purchased later versions up to A4 version 6 and still love the product.
                              It is soooo easy to use, I have created many none buisness related databases for myself in a matter of a few minutes.
                              While the DOS world is quickly shrinking and fading away, its still great to see Alpha has addressed some issues with this fine product with v7.
                              I will shed a tear when Alpha4 finally disappears, as we all know it will with windowz and Msoft pushing the GUI interface and the Windowz apps.
                              As for A5 ver4.5 I find it an excellent product as well, but the worst part is all the panels button etcc. and lets face it the tutorial manual that comes with A4 was an incredibly easy way to figure out the product and get into it right away.
                              I have purchased the manuals with A5 vr4.5 but find them not very easy to use.
                              It will take some time and a large investment in learning A5 vr4.5
                              In the meantime I still am thinking about A4vr7 for home use and whish only the best for both products.

Thanks
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X