Alpha Video Training

Thread: Dumped out to the desktop!

Real Name
    Keith George

Default Dumped out to the desktop!

I am getting the same problem as the one Steve Allsop reported 28th November, with no answers.

I have scripts that print several reports, but after the first report starts to print, I get dumped out to the Windoz desktop.

Can anyone advise, please?

Regards,
    Keith

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: Dumped out to the desktop!

Keith,

I see the same thing here using Version 7 with Windows 98SE.

This may be a limitation of the way support for Windows printers has been implemented. If so, you may have to configure a DOS printer and use it when printing reports one right after the other, without user intervention.

Let us know if you find a better work around.

-- tom

Doug Hammond

I have no solution, just discribing my problem.

I'm having a similar problem although I am not printing multiple reports from a script. I am running a script that does a search on a set and then global update on the search then I copy the search to a transaction table and post that table to two other tables after each post I am updating the indice on each table. That done I go back to the first set and run a report with the search list. When the script hits {F10} to print the report it dumps me to the windows desktop.

If I print the report right after I run the search list before anything else it doesn't dump me out.

If I run debug and step clear through the script then escape out of the script just before it prints I can print manually and it still dumps me out to the windows desktop. If I escape out before it prints and reset the Alpha desktop to a saved desktop then I can go back the original set and print the report from the search list and it works fine. I tried reseting the desk top in the script before I print the report and it still dumps me out to windows desktop.

I am using Windows 2000 Profesional.

Real Name
    Keith George

This may look a bit strange, I am not really replying to myself.

I have picked up a few tips from this board, one of which has seemed to solve my problem.

If I create a printer defintion and select the defult DOS printer from the list supplied by Alpha, I can print any report to FILE using that printer defintion and use the Windows printer definition to print to paper.

Hope this helps,

Keith ( Cornwall UK )

Steve Allsop

Hi Keith

The only way that I have found to get over this problem is to split the processing / printing function into two separate tasks - task one to create the TXT files in the SPOOL folder and task two to print them off.

To do this I have created and modified two copies of the Alpha4V7 startup batch file as follows.

Batch file one I have REMmed out the second and last line and used this batch file as my main startup / processing file. When all the processing and print spool entries have completed (which can be seen by viewing the SPOOL folder), I then run my second batch file.

In this second batch file I have REMmed out the a4v7.exe statement and placed a PAUSE statement between the start winagent "¦path etc.etc." and the start winagent "command=quit" statement. When this batch file is run, it fires up winagent which passes the TXT files held in the SPOOL folder to Windows for printing.

(Hey chaps, who are the develop team here ? The customer or the Supplier)

Hope this helps

Steve Allsop

Real Name
    Tom Drawert

Know nothing about SPOOLING except that none of the DOS Programs I run work unless I select "Print Directly to Printer" within my Windows Printer Definition(s).

Caveat being I use older HP Laserjets 4P, 4M, 4L, etc.

Tom Drawert