Alpha Video Training

Thread: Use A4v6 and A4v7 on the same data?

Dale Hartshorn

Default Use A4v6 and A4v7 on the same data?

Is it possible to use A4v6 on a Win98 to access the same databases as A4v7 on a win2000 machine?
    I have one user with Win2000 and others with Win98. I don't want to have to upgrade them all if not necessary.
    Since I am sure it will happen in the near future, consider WinXP as well if you can help me out with a reply.

Dale

William Fike

Default RE: Use A4v6 and A4v7 on the same data?

Dear Dale: We just receive the A4V7 and wish to tranfer my data from my old computer with A4V6 to the new computer with windows 2000, and with the new A4V7. We cannot accomplish this task. I thought before I called for help, that I would post our trouble on the forum list and hope that we could get an answer. If you have a suggestion, I would be very thankful.

Bill Fike

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Bill,

What's preventing you from transferring the files?

Are you using a CD by any chance? If so, maybe your CD software is marking the files readonly when they're written to the platter. If so, when you copy them from the platter to the new machine they arrive marked read only. You may have to reset the readwrite file attribute on each file...

-- tom

Rick Sloan

Hi Bill.

I use a backup system, a zip drive. You can pick one up and you should be able to transfer your data.

Regards

RS

Harvey Foster

if you zip the files before you make a cd ( which makes the file read only ) and then unzip them on the new machine they will not be read only, they will have their original attributes

Real Name
    Jeff Fried

A4V6 and A4V7 can be mixed on the same network, accessing the same data. I asked this question of Selwyn early on, and he essentially said mixing would work without any problem. The .net file for A4V7 goes to the directory where the application is launched, unlike with A4V6 (and earlier) where the .net file goes to a common master directory on the server. So A4V6 workstations would launch with a -N# while A4V7 would launch with a -N#. I'm not sure if the -N parameter is needed for A4V7, but that's how I set it up.

Real Name
    Jeff Fried

On that last message, I see that this site does not accept the left and right arrow keys, and the text inside, so my examples are, for A4V7, -n#local A4V7 application directory, and for A4V6, -n#network master directory. Another way to do it, for consistency, is to copy the A4V7.NET file to the network master directory and set the -N parmameter to look at the network master directory.