Alpha Video Training

Thread: Display Problems with Version 7

Ray Fernandez

Default Display Problems with Version 7

I'm having problems with Alpha4 v7 and our ViewSonic LCD Monitors. Both 17in & 19in. We can run Alpha in window mode but when trying to go to Full Mode (Alt Enter) it will not work.

We tried about everything here. Are there any switches we need to be aware of?

This problem makes the program useless to us.

Real Name
    Mike Konoff

Default RE: Display Problems with Version 7

Ray,

I typically use A4V6 in a window mode. If I switch to full screen while A4 is running I hear a click in my monitor and then a blank screen. I can ALT-ESC to minimum what should be full screen A4, then ALT-1 to again maximize, but it's maximized back to blank screen.

I've found that if I close the program so it's not running, then go into the "properties" of the A4 icon and set it there to "window" and save, then once start & close the program, then change it back to "full-screen" while closed, I can then go between a fullscreen & a window with no problem.

But again, changing to full screen while A4 is running causes problems on my system.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Mike

Real Name
    Tom Campbell

After that I'm confused.
    Go into properties, select full screen.
    If you need to go back and forth between apps and maximize and restore isn't working, try upgrading your video drivers.
    It's just a DOS video session.

Ray Fernandez

Hi Tom,

Video Drivers are updated.

The problem is Alpha v7 under Windows 2000 using a LCD monitor. I have other DOS programs that run Full-Screen with no problems under Windows 2000.

Alpha v6 under win98, works with no problems in Full-Screen mode on all our LCD Monitors.

Would hate to have to sent version 7 back.

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

It seems pretty strange that it would not work under full screen mode. I run win2k and have a 17" LCD monitor and have no problem toggling between full screen and window mode.

What happens if you do this:

1. click "Start" button on bottom left of screen.
    2. type "COMMAND" and click Run. This opens a DOS box. (DO NOT TYPE "CMD" in place of "COMMAND")
    3. press Alt-Enter to go to full screen mode. Does that work? If not, then your problem in viewing A4 in full screen mode is not an Alpha problem because you will have just demonstrated that you cannot open ANY DOS box in full screen.
    4. assuming that step 3 worked, you should now have the C> prompt in a full screen.
    5. navigate to the folder where alpha four is installed.
    6. type "alpha4" to run the alpha4.bat file, or type a470.exe to run the alpha four executable directly. a4 should now be open in full screen mode.

note: if you run the alpha4.bat file, and if you got a cd from the initial batch, make sure you edit alpha4.bat (and the identical a4.bat) to change 'prininfo.a4' to 'ptrinfo.a4'. This change needs to be in the first line of the batch file.

Ray Fernandez

Thanks for your reply. CMD & COMMAND are the same thing under Win2000. But I did type COMMAND. Ran the Alpha bat file. Same thing.

I can run Alpha V6 under Win89 with no problem in Full screen mode with the View Sonic Monitors. The problem that I've having is with Win200 and version 7 with the same monitors.

It will not work under Full Screen with any of my View Sonic Monitors, and YES I can load a DOS Game in Full Screen Mode with No problems under Win200 with any of the View Sonic Monitors.

Any other ideas, I'm out.

Thanks,
    RF-ARS Motorola

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Ray,

Pardon me for jumping in, but have you tried different screen resolutions? Have you tried bypassing the Viewsonic driver and using the standard VGA driver?

-- tom

Ray Fernandez

Pardon me for jumping in, but have you tried different screen resolutions? -YES

Have you tried bypassing the Viewsonic driver and using the standard VGA driver? - NO CAN DO!

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Thanks for the reply, but it seems that you have NOT exactly followed the steps that I asked you to test.

1. I don't believe that COMMAND is the same as CMD. They both open a DOS box, but CMD is a 32 bit DOS box, and there are differences. For example: "cd c:program files" fails in the "COMMAND" DOS box, but works in the "CMD" DOS box.

2. I want to know if, after running "COMMAND", you can press Alt-Enter to get a full screen DOS box. I need to know the answer to this question. Do you get a full screen with the C:> prompt?

3. Assuming that you do get a FULL SCREEN DOS prompt, what happens when you type "a4v7.exe"?

Ray Fernandez

>>I want to know if, after running "COMMAND", you can press >>Alt-Enter to get a full screen DOS box. I need to know >>the answer to this question. Do you get a full screen >>with the C:> prompt?

YES, I do get a FULL screen view

>>Assuming that you do get a FULL SCREEN DOS prompt, what >>happens when you type "a4v7.exe"?

The program will start on the top part of the screen (about 1/3 of the top down) and on the bottom part ( the last 2/3) there's the startup setting text being display.

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Ok thanks for the info.

I don't know what to suggest now because that is NOT the behaviour I am seeing. I have tested this on about 20 machines with all operating systems. win 95 win 98 win me win nt win 2k and win xp (home and pro). several of the machines have LCD monitors.

in every case, i can successfully get into full screen mode.

Ray Fernandez

Thank you for your time. I put a picture of alpha v7 full screen mode for you to see.

Again, this is happening on 4 computers in my office, 2 computers in my home. All have ViewSonic LCD monitors.

But Alpha v6.22 run OK under win98 at full screen.

Just my luck.

I will remove this link in about a week.

"http://www.myradiomall.com/alpha4v7.htm"

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Ray,

Have you tried A4V6 under Win2000 *and* the ViewSonic LCD monitor?

-- tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Ray,

In reviewing this thread I see no mention of two other things you might want to try:

1) Reduce or eliminate hardware acceleration in the video display subsystem; and

2) Change the color rendering format (there may be several options to try, true color 32 bit, high color, 256 colors, etc...)

-- tom

Real Name
    Jack Birnbaum

Try this PIF file!