Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Display Problems with Version 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display Problems with Version 7

I'm having problems with Alpha4 v7 and our ViewSonic LCD Monitors. Both 17in & 19in. We can run Alpha in window mode but when trying to go to Full Mode (Alt Enter) it will not work.

We tried about everything here. Are there any switches we need to be aware of?

This problem makes the program useless to us.

RE: Display Problems with Version 7

Ray,

I typically use A4V6 in a window mode. If I switch to full screen while A4 is running I hear a click in my monitor and then a blank screen. I can ALT-ESC to minimum what should be full screen A4, then ALT-1 to again maximize, but it's maximized back to blank screen.

I've found that if I close the program so it's not running, then go into the "properties" of the A4 icon and set it there to "window" and save, then once start & close the program, then change it back to "full-screen" while closed, I can then go between a fullscreen & a window with no problem.

But again, changing to full screen while A4 is running causes problems on my system.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Mike
    Thank you,
    Mike Konoff

Comment

After that I'm confused.
      Go into properties, select full screen.
      If you need to go back and forth between apps and maximize and restore isn't working, try upgrading your video drivers.
      It's just a DOS video session.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Video Drivers are updated.

The problem is Alpha v7 under Windows 2000 using a LCD monitor. I have other DOS programs that run Full-Screen with no problems under Windows 2000.

Alpha v6 under win98, works with no problems in Full-Screen mode on all our LCD Monitors.

Would hate to have to sent version 7 back.

Comment

It seems pretty strange that it would not work under full screen mode. I run win2k and have a 17" LCD monitor and have no problem toggling between full screen and window mode.

What happens if you do this:

1. click "Start" button on bottom left of screen.
          2. type "COMMAND" and click Run. This opens a DOS box. (DO NOT TYPE "CMD" in place of "COMMAND")
          3. press Alt-Enter to go to full screen mode. Does that work? If not, then your problem in viewing A4 in full screen mode is not an Alpha problem because you will have just demonstrated that you cannot open ANY DOS box in full screen.
          4. assuming that step 3 worked, you should now have the C> prompt in a full screen.
          5. navigate to the folder where alpha four is installed.
          6. type "alpha4" to run the alpha4.bat file, or type a470.exe to run the alpha four executable directly. a4 should now be open in full screen mode.

note: if you run the alpha4.bat file, and if you got a cd from the initial batch, make sure you edit alpha4.bat (and the identical a4.bat) to change 'prininfo.a4' to 'ptrinfo.a4'. This change needs to be in the first line of the batch file.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. CMD & COMMAND are the same thing under Win2000. But I did type COMMAND. Ran the Alpha bat file. Same thing.

I can run Alpha V6 under Win89 with no problem in Full screen mode with the View Sonic Monitors. The problem that I've having is with Win200 and version 7 with the same monitors.

It will not work under Full Screen with any of my View Sonic Monitors, and YES I can load a DOS Game in Full Screen Mode with No problems under Win200 with any of the View Sonic Monitors.

Any other ideas, I'm out.

Thanks,
            RF-ARS Motorola

Comment

Ray,

Pardon me for jumping in, but have you tried different screen resolutions? Have you tried bypassing the Viewsonic driver and using the standard VGA driver?

-- tom

Comment

Pardon me for jumping in, but have you tried different screen resolutions? -YES

Have you tried bypassing the Viewsonic driver and using the standard VGA driver? - NO CAN DO!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but it seems that you have NOT exactly followed the steps that I asked you to test.

1. I don't believe that COMMAND is the same as CMD. They both open a DOS box, but CMD is a 32 bit DOS box, and there are differences. For example: "cd c:program files" fails in the "COMMAND" DOS box, but works in the "CMD" DOS box.

2. I want to know if, after running "COMMAND", you can press Alt-Enter to get a full screen DOS box. I need to know the answer to this question. Do you get a full screen with the C:> prompt?

3. Assuming that you do get a FULL SCREEN DOS prompt, what happens when you type "a4v7.exe"?

Comment

>>I want to know if, after running "COMMAND", you can press >>Alt-Enter to get a full screen DOS box. I need to know >>the answer to this question. Do you get a full screen >>with the C:> prompt?

YES, I do get a FULL screen view

>>Assuming that you do get a FULL SCREEN DOS prompt, what >>happens when you type "a4v7.exe"?

The program will start on the top part of the screen (about 1/3 of the top down) and on the bottom part ( the last 2/3) there's the startup setting text being display.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info.

I don't know what to suggest now because that is NOT the behaviour I am seeing. I have tested this on about 20 machines with all operating systems. win 95 win 98 win me win nt win 2k and win xp (home and pro). several of the machines have LCD monitors.

in every case, i can successfully get into full screen mode.

Comment

Thank you for your time. I put a picture of alpha v7 full screen mode for you to see.

Again, this is happening on 4 computers in my office, 2 computers in my home. All have ViewSonic LCD monitors.

But Alpha v6.22 run OK under win98 at full screen.

Just my luck.

I will remove this link in about a week.

"http://www.myradiomall.com/alpha4v7.htm"

Comment

Ray,

Have you tried A4V6 under Win2000 *and* the ViewSonic LCD monitor?

-- tom

Comment

Ray,

In reviewing this thread I see no mention of two other things you might want to try:

1) Reduce or eliminate hardware acceleration in the video display subsystem; and

2) Change the color rendering format (there may be several options to try, true color 32 bit, high color, 256 colors, etc...)

-- tom

Comment

Try this PIF file!

Comment

Working...
                              X