Alpha Video Training

Thread: new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

Alpha Software Employee Richard Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Default new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

The Learning Center

The Learning Center page will be where Alpha Software places the resources that it believes will help the Alpha Five user and application developer. Initially, it contains reference documentation. It will eventually also contain demos, tutorials, and any other materials that our customers find useful.

The Xbasic Reference

The Xbasic Reference has been revised as part of a continuing effort to make Alpha Five documentation more useful. The document includes many more functions and methods, and is organized and indexed to make it easier to find the information you need.

The new Xbasic Reference now includes the contents of the old Expressions Functions Reference, which is now obsolete.

The Xbasic Reference is available in three formats: as on-line WebHelp, as a downloadable Windows help file in .CHM format, and in printable Adobe Acrobat PDF format - divided into three books: Programming with Xbasic, Alpha Five Object Methods, and Xbasic Functions.
    • Xbasic Reference WebHelp (.HTM - 4/2/03)
    • Xbasic Reference Help (.CHM - 4/3/03 - 3.0 MB)
    • Programming with Xbasic (.PDF - 4/3/03 - 4.4 MB)
    • Alpha Five Object Methods (.PDF - 4/9/03 - 6.0 MB)
    • Xbasic Functions (.PDF - 4/3/03 - 6.4 MB)

For comments and suggestions please email ed@alphasoftware.com

Real Name
    Dennis Evans

Default Re: new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rabins View Post
    The Learning Center

The Learning Center page will be where Alpha Software places the resources that it believes will help the Alpha Five user and application developer. Initially, it contains reference documentation. It will eventually also contain demos, tutorials, and any other materials that our customers find useful.

The Xbasic Reference

The Xbasic Reference has been revised as part of a continuing effort to make Alpha Five documentation more useful. The document includes many more functions and methods, and is organized and indexed to make it easier to find the information you need.

The new Xbasic Reference now includes the contents of the old Expressions Functions Reference, which is now obsolete.

The Xbasic Reference is available in three formats: as on-line WebHelp, as a downloadable Windows help file in .CHM format, and in printable Adobe Acrobat PDF format - divided into three books: Programming with Xbasic, Alpha Five Object Methods, and Xbasic Functions.
    • Xbasic Reference WebHelp (.HTM - 4/2/03)
    • Xbasic Reference Help (.CHM - 4/3/03 - 3.0 MB)
    • Programming with Xbasic (.PDF - 4/3/03 - 4.4 MB)
    • Alpha Five Object Methods (.PDF - 4/9/03 - 6.0 MB)
    • Xbasic Functions (.PDF - 4/3/03 - 6.4 MB)

For comments and suggestions please email ed@alphasoftware.com
    Hello,
    I'm very new so this is really overwhelming. Do you know where exactly I can download these documentations? The web is a big place and I can't find them. Not even at alphasoftware. Please advise.

Thank you,
    dpappa :o

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Dennis,

We all got very excited until we noticed you are picking up on a mid 2003 post by RR. Those specific documents are nowhere to be found other than if in the accidental possession of individual users. They are replaced by the V8 and V9 Help documents listed first under Support > Documentation.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Dennis Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wood View Post
    Dennis,

We all got very excited until we noticed you are picking up on a mid 2003 post by RR. Those specific documents are nowhere to be found other than if in the accidental possession of individual users. They are replaced by the V8 and V9 Help documents listed first under Support > Documentation.
    Thanks, and no offense, but you sort of just did it to me again. They are replaced by the V8 and V9 Help documents listed first under Support > Documentation. WHERE? Do you have a page name or URL? This really is most frustrating. I have looked at all kinds of pages and was lucky to find this forum but have no idea about where you are directing me to. Please advise.

Thank you,
    dpappa :o
    PS: Thanks for the swift reply.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

No problem. Message board posts often lack complete information since we all have different levels of exposure to Alpha. The documentation page is at http://www.alphasoftware.com/documentation. The docs are in PDF format so you can download and open on your computer.

The V8 or V9 docs are the first two.

YOUR most apropriate general help file is the one you get when you open Alpha Five and click Help > Open Help File from the menu. This document will be the same or nearly the same as the PDF's above.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Dennis Evans

No problem. Message board posts often lack complete information since we all have different levels of exposure to Alpha. The documentation page is at http://www.alphasoftware.com/documentation. The docs are in PDF format so you can download and open on your computer.

The V8 or V9 docs are the first two.

YOUR most apropriate general help file is the one you get when you open Alpha Five and click Help > Open Help File from the menu. This document will be the same or nearly the same as the PDF's above.
    Ah yes, now that's cooking with gas! I was just looking for a Basic that was simple enough to make a 2D game and run it on my XP. I can't imagine that this wouldn't do it somehow. I'll just have to start wading through all this stuff. Thank you much,
    dpappa (Dennis) :D

Real Name
    Doug Page

And for future reference, if you look at the menu bar on Alphas home page (www.alphasoftware.com) you will see the word Support. Hover your mouse over it and a dropdown menu appears showing the option Documentation.

Once you are on that page, might I also suggest that you look on the left hand side and see a link called Video Library. This is a great resource for new and old Alpha users. There are a lot of demos showing you how to accomplish many different things. Great way to see how something is accomplished.

And welcome to Alpha!

Real Name
    Steve Wood

And if you find yourself with extra free time after that, you can go to my website (link below) and review a bunch of video and technical documents under Developer Resources. My videos tend to showcase 'what you can do with Alpha" rather than on specific functions or features.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Dennis Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Page View Post
    And for future reference, if you look at the menu bar on Alphas home page (www.alphasoftware.com) you will see the word Support. Hover your mouse over it and a dropdown menu appears showing the option Documentation.

Once you are on that page, might I also suggest that you look on the left hand side and see a link called Video Library. This is a great resource for new and old Alpha users. There are a lot of demos showing you how to accomplish many different things. Great way to see how something is accomplished.

And welcome to Alpha!
    Oh, that's got to be one of the best tips out there. Thanks!
    dpappa:)

Real Name
    Dennis Evans

And if you find yourself with extra free time after that, you can go to my website (link below) and review a bunch of video and technical documents under Developer Resources. My videos tend to showcase 'what you can do with Alpha" rather than on specific functions or features.
    Here again, another super hot tip. I find video so much easier to learn from.
    Thank you much!
    dpappa :D