Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Hello From Manchester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello From Manchester

Hi Everyone

Just found this board, and very happy to see other Alpha 5 users in the UK. I got to thinking I ws the only one. I have used Alpha 5 for around 7 years and I am addicted. I have written databases for Debt Management Co, Quantity Surveyors, Holiday Villa Co, Car Repair Garage.

I have just got an order to do one for a Loan Co, a promotion Co, and am just doing one for a Division of Thames Water.

Just Ordered V5 from States. Cant wait to try it. Be nice to here from anyone near Manchester.

Steve Calvert

RE: Hello From Manchester

Hi Stephen

I am Manchester nased also. After a considerable break from Alpha 4, about 7 years, I am back! Only application I created was a labeling system many years ago.

Anyway, my reason for returning to the fold is the need to the feasability of developing an apparel accounting system. We are using a 'off the shelf' package which is ok but limited. Prior to this we had a developer trying to convert a DOS application to windows using Interbase. This was not progressing and also it was only a bit part (SOP,POP, and stock) with another finacial package which meant a lot of updates and lack of real-time information.

The issue I am concerned with, before getting further into Alpha 4.5 (haven't loaded v5 yet) is the specifications. We have 25 concurrent users and with a high volume/low margin business deal with upwards of 200 sales orders a day over 13,000 stock items.

Can I ask if you know the meaning of sessions and the maximum tables as I expect we need about 250/280 tables to cover the present operation.

I have read that you can have sets which consist of up to 24 virtual tables but I concerned with the speeds.

Some issues which will need to be overcome are entering SOP,POP in a style-colour-fit matrix. This makes processing quick and accurate (both present and last system could do this).

kind regards
    Ian Marshall

Comment

HI Ian

I think it may be more beneficial if we have a chat, please give me a call on Mob 07971-212125 or my home number is 0161-437-3631. I think most things are possible with Alpha 5.

Regards

Steve

Comment

Hi Stephen

I have just logged on - 1am Sunday, and will contact you next week. Am going to load Alpha5 trial version to have alook at in the meantime.

Regards

Ian

Comment

If you need any help give me a call

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve

Sorry I haven't ben in touch, but quite hectic at work. I will contact you directly next week. I have loaded the trial version of v5 anfd am inpressed. ALthough have some reservations which need addressed.

kind regards

Ian

Comment

HI Ian

I am off on my Hols next thursday for 2 weeks, if you need any help before then give me a call

Steve

Comment

HI Ian

I am back from my holidays, please give me a call on 0161-437-3631.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Stephen if you a consultant/developer for Alpha Five
                  please contact me at [email protected]

We have a group of consultants known as the Alpha Five Guild who we send leads to of people downloading the alpha five trial and who need consulting/development help and consulting.
                  Richard Rabins
                  Co Chairman
                  Alpha Software

Comment

Hi Richard

I have been using Alpha 5 since about 1996. Have written many, many programmes using it and I use it every day. I am now on version 5, and love it. I have witten programmes for many companies, and would class myself as a developer/consultant.

I would be glad to help.

Regards

Steve Calvert

Comment

Hi Steve

Sorry that I haven't been in touch. Its been rather hectic here with 'Back to School' trading period, but that has now finished.

Anyway, we have decided to not go any further at this stage with the idea, as we do need to able to link to MySQL or other SQL back end and the application needs too be able to port to web applcation for a proposed CRM system.

But, all is not lost, as I intend to loook again when v6 is relased, as this is more suitable to our needs with the ability to connect to MySQL and develop a client/server application.

Hopefully this will be only months away, and no doubt your help will be required.

regards

Ian Marshall

Comment

Hi Ian

No problem. Just give me a shout if you need any help.

Best regards

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X