Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha seek floppy disk all the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My floppy disk drive is seekeing a floppy disk every time that I open a batabase, any suggestion?

RE: Alpha seek floppy disk all the time

Salvador,

At one time, you possibly opened a database from drive A: and Alpha still expects it to be on drive A. If you still have that database on a floppy, copy it to its own folder under Alpha4 on your hard drive, then open it from its new location and A4 will be happy.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Hi
      First at all, thank you for yor help.
      I all ready tried that, but, It�s doing the same
      Any other sugestion?

Comment

Salvador,

Okay, how about these random thoughts.

1) Open another database, save it and then open the db that's causing the problem. That might stop Alpha from looking to drive A:.

2) Open Alpha, click on 'Choose Database/set', then 'Retrieve a Desktop'. Then, click 'Choose Database/set' again, and select 'sWitch databases', write down the databases/set on the list in the EXACT ORDER they appear. One of items on the list might be on drive A:. Delete the desktop and then recreate it. That might solve the problem.

Dave
        Dave Jampole
        www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Try deleting the a4.dfl file.

Comment

No, I deleted it, but still the same

Comment

The problem is that since I lunch Alpha4, seeks the floppy disk drive

Comment

A simple work round is to disable the floppy drive in the computer's BIOS (assuming you don't need to use the floppy drive - few of us do nowadays).

Paul

Comment

Have you applied the latest patch to your version of A4.

Comment

Hi Salvador,

When Alpha starts up does it run through an application or is there a script played on startup?

Has the startup batch file been altered?

Comment

Seek floppy disk Windows XP Pro

I am having the same problem. I just replaced my hard drive and did a clean install of Windows XP pro. I installed A4V8. Every time I open a database, the floppy drive is searched. I have never saved a dbf file to floppy. I have found many posts re: this problem. Has there ever been a solution? TIA.

Comment

Seek floppy disk Windows XP - 2000

Hi Salvador,

The only solution to this problems is to get rid of the floppy. Physically remove it, then remove it from the bios. If you do not remove it from the bios windows will still detect the drive and interestingly, A4v7 will still seek it.

There will be some withdrawal symptoms but you will get over it. The speed of you applications on a fast machine will be almost unbelievable.

Charles

Comment

Hey Charles,

You say, "The only solution to this problems is to get rid of the floppy. Physically remove it, then remove it from the bios. If you do not remove it from the bios windows will still detect the drive and interestingly, A4v7 will still seek it."

I've removed my floppy from my bios and even tried this on a laptop that's pretty darn fast. No luck. Still very long delays when opening forms, etc., versus doing the same things in A4V6. I'm using A4V8. How are you loading A4???

You also say, "There will be some withdrawal symptoms but you will get over it. The speed of you applications on a fast machine will be almost unbelievable." I'm not seeing this at all with A4V8...to me, it's a dog WHEN it's run on WinXP. It screams on Win98 and run's faster for me than V6 in Win98. Do you run your A4 in a single user or multi user environment???

Thanks,
                          Mike
                          Thank you,
                          Mike Konoff

Comment

Hey Mike,

I should have given you some more details. The environment I tested this on consists of 32 machines running Windows 2000 and connected to a Netware 5.1 server. All workstations are running A4V7 runtime. They are all PC compatible clones built on VIA chipset motherboards with 500 MB ram. I do not run A4 on XP machines if I don’t have to. I had some issues with A4 not running on XP but thanks to you guys on this forum, I “think” I have solved the problem.

I got tired of some users complaining about the delays whenever a script had to run the (co[database]{ENTER} command). This is the same action that turns on the floppy drive light. Once I disconnected the drives and selected the not install optioned in the bios, the delay, when running the above-mentioned command, was removed. Positive feedback from users was overwhelming.

Another workaround to this problem is using desktops and switching as much as possible instead of the above-mentioned command.

About the withdrawal symptoms; I was trying inject some humor into this discussion. I am also a Mac user and have had to drop the floppy drive since purchasing my first G4 machine in 2000.

So long for now,

Charles

PS: I am a Jack-of-all-trades and master of none when it comes to computers and software. I taught myself Alpha4 and have built several applications that do very different things. While going about doing this, I have come across, and solved quite a few problems relating to working with Alpha4. My biggest problem over the years has been the regular corruption of database files when using Alpha4 in a multi-user environment. The fix is easy but I would really like to find a way to prevent it from happening.
                            Last edited by cahalsall; 03-06-2006, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X