Alpha Video Training

Thread: How do I copy only the db

David Gilbert

Default How do I copy only the db

I keep a database going for my school (I am now retired) and have been ask to change the existing database. I have done that at home on my copy of Alpha 4 V6 and want to take a copy of it to the school and update their db.
    The problem is that during the time I have been working on the db at home, they have changed their db and bringing in my changed version will overwrite theirs.
    Is there a way to copy "only" the field rules, reconfigured db, etc but NOT the actual data? What files constitute the field rules, reconfigured db, etc, perhaps I can just copy them manually.
    Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thanks.
    David

David Gilbert

Default RE: How do I copy only the related files

Oops, the title of this should have been "How do I copy only the related files" not "How do I copy the db"
    David

Real Name
    Gary Smith

Appendix 2 page A-10 in the A4V6 Reference Manual lists the filenames you need.
    Composite Set Field Rules are *.RLC
    Database Field Rules are *.RLN
    Custom Browse Layouts are *.BNx
    Custom Form Layouts are *.INx
    Reports are *.RNx

David Gilbert

Wow, slapping my head, all I had to do was turn around and find the reference manual. I simply hadn't thought of it? Sorry. But thanks for your prompt and info laden reply.
    Ill let you know if it works just copying these few files.
    David

David Gilbert

Gary,
    I tried to copy the files for *.rlc, *.rln etc and it didnt work. I had extensively reconfigured the joriginal database and created a series of Global Update rules to change the old database over to the new database fields. These rules worked on my practice db at home. But when I tried to copy only the files you suggested, the Global update rules became corrupted. What I mean is the left side looked like this
    ) rule
    * rule
    h rule
    etc
    The right side of the global update rule was correct, only the left side was corrupted. So I examined the "reconfigure the db" and found that the new fields that I had created were not there, so I understood why the global update rules didnt work, as they referenced the new fields.
    So what I am asking, is how do I copy the reconfigured database over with the new fields, and have them applied to an existing db with the same fields (except for the reconfigured fields that I put in). Is this possible? I hope that is clear. I will answer any questions that will clear this up for you. Thanks for your reply.
    David

Composite Set Field Rules are *.RLC
    Database Field Rules are *.RLN
    Custom Browse Layouts are *.BNx
    Custom Form Layouts are *.INx

Real Name
    Duncan Greenshields

David;
    As I see it, there are a couple of ways of "fixing" your problem ... either though "posting" or creating a set and "global updating" with the proper i.e. correct data.

Presumably, because your data base has the additional new fields and the updated field rules, it will need to be the base database. This assumes that it has all the records ... if not we may need to modify the procedure slightly. As well, there must be an index (other than record number) so that you can link the 2 dbs.

Again assuming that "your" db has all the records, you can update "your" fields by using the "post" operation and posting the school's data to "your" data base, and then back up your database, and restore it at the school.

Alternatively (and again assuming "your" database has all the records), you can create a set with your db as the base. Link it to the school's db, and then "global update" the fields in your db with the school's data in the fields that require updating. Then back up your database and restore it at the school to replace theirs.

Gary (The Master) Smith may have a more elegant solution for you, but either of these 2 scenarios will work, giving the school all the benefit of your improvements.

Should your db not have all the records, let me know, and we can add an interim step.

Hope this helps,
    Duncan

David Gilbert

Duncan,
    As you guessed, the database that I did all of the reconfiguring, and creation of new fields and the creation of global updates for the new fields, does NOT contain all of the current data. I have been working on this for a couple of weeks, and during that time, the school (the original db) has multiple changes in their db which they do not want to loose. Possibly, if I wait till easter, I could take a copy of their db home but would still have the problem of updating their database with their current data, with my home database with its new fields, rules and reconfigured structure.
    So, does this clarify my problem? Is there another step that you could recommend? Thanks for your trouble.
    David

Real Name
    Duncan Greenshields

David;
    What you need to do is get both databases on the same machine. I suggest the following:

1. First back up YOUR db as it is.

2. Now, change the name of YOUR db on your computer to "davetemp" or something to indicate that it is a temporary copy of YOUR db. Now back up "davetemp".

3. Go to the school and back up the school's db. Now restore "davetemp" on the school's computer.

4.Once "davetemp" is restored on the school computer, delete all of "davetemp's" records.

5. Append all of the school's records to "davetemp".

6. "Davetemp" now has all of the school's up to date data along with your additional fields and field rules.

7. You can then change the name of "davetemp" to the school's name for the db, and all "should" be well.

8. If not, you have a backup for each individual "original" db to restore or restart the process.

Hope this helps ... if you have any questions or are unfamiliar with these steps, please post your questions.

Good luck!
    Duncan

P.S. The "new" fields you have created ... are they to be filled in manually by the school, or are they really "revamped" fields that exist on the school's db?

David Gilbert

Duncan,
    Thanks, it worked like a charm. I tried it on the database here at home and the disk my school had sent me with most of their data and it worked flawlessly.
    In all the years that I have used A4 I never used zap, append, or backup and restore. Today I used all four. Previously I had just "copied" the database as a backup. Seems like I will be using "backup" from now on.
    The new fields I created take data from existing fields that we used to have serve dual purposes. So to store indications of the service of a speech provider for example we would put something like 1/3 meaning one time a week alone with a child, and 3 times a week with a group of children. So I created a whole bunch of fields which took individual pieces of data and separated the old fields using rules containing substr(), left() and right(). They seem to be working.
    Again, thanks for your help and time.
    David

Real Name
    Duncan Greenshields

David;
    I'm glad everyhing worked out OK and you were able to figure out my steps e.g. I should have said "zap" instead of "delete"!.

Yes, A4 is an amazing tool, even if it is DOS software.

One bit of warning, however, when you use BACKUP. If the backup spans multiple disks, "sometimes" the backup will not fully back up all the data, even though all indications are that it did. Apparently there was some sort of bug in this utility ... Alpha licensed it from a 3rd party. This will only be a potential problem if you have a very large data base.

Regards,
    Duncan

David Gilbert

Duncan,
    Actually I have experienced this problem just recently. I would ususally "copy" the schools db and take it home to work on. After working on my home computer and increasing the number of fields as well as writing a number of global update rules I tried to "copy" the database back to a disk and found it was too large and it refused to continue.
    When I used your "backup" it seemed to produce a much smaller file that is small enough to fit on a 1.2 meg floppy. So alls well that ends well and I am happy that you took time to figure this out for me. I realize that this is something I probably should have used long ago.
    Thanks again for your effort.
    David