Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How do I copy only the db

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I copy only the db

I keep a database going for my school (I am now retired) and have been ask to change the existing database. I have done that at home on my copy of Alpha 4 V6 and want to take a copy of it to the school and update their db.
    The problem is that during the time I have been working on the db at home, they have changed their db and bringing in my changed version will overwrite theirs.
    Is there a way to copy "only" the field rules, reconfigured db, etc but NOT the actual data? What files constitute the field rules, reconfigured db, etc, perhaps I can just copy them manually.
    Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thanks.
    David

RE: How do I copy only the related files

Oops, the title of this should have been "How do I copy only the related files" not "How do I copy the db"
    David

Comment

Appendix 2 page A-10 in the A4V6 Reference Manual lists the filenames you need.
      Composite Set Field Rules are *.RLC
      Database Field Rules are *.RLN
      Custom Browse Layouts are *.BNx
      Custom Form Layouts are *.INx
      Reports are *.RNx

Comment

Wow, slapping my head, all I had to do was turn around and find the reference manual. I simply hadn't thought of it? Sorry. But thanks for your prompt and info laden reply.
        Ill let you know if it works just copying these few files.
        David

Comment

Gary,
          I tried to copy the files for *.rlc, *.rln etc and it didnt work. I had extensively reconfigured the joriginal database and created a series of Global Update rules to change the old database over to the new database fields. These rules worked on my practice db at home. But when I tried to copy only the files you suggested, the Global update rules became corrupted. What I mean is the left side looked like this
          ) rule
          * rule
          h rule
          etc
          The right side of the global update rule was correct, only the left side was corrupted. So I examined the "reconfigure the db" and found that the new fields that I had created were not there, so I understood why the global update rules didnt work, as they referenced the new fields.
          So what I am asking, is how do I copy the reconfigured database over with the new fields, and have them applied to an existing db with the same fields (except for the reconfigured fields that I put in). Is this possible? I hope that is clear. I will answer any questions that will clear this up for you. Thanks for your reply.
          David

Composite Set Field Rules are *.RLC
          Database Field Rules are *.RLN
          Custom Browse Layouts are *.BNx
          Custom Form Layouts are *.INx

Comment

David;
            As I see it, there are a couple of ways of "fixing" your problem ... either though "posting" or creating a set and "global updating" with the proper i.e. correct data.

Presumably, because your data base has the additional new fields and the updated field rules, it will need to be the base database. This assumes that it has all the records ... if not we may need to modify the procedure slightly. As well, there must be an index (other than record number) so that you can link the 2 dbs.

Again assuming that "your" db has all the records, you can update "your" fields by using the "post" operation and posting the school's data to "your" data base, and then back up your database, and restore it at the school.

Alternatively (and again assuming "your" database has all the records), you can create a set with your db as the base. Link it to the school's db, and then "global update" the fields in your db with the school's data in the fields that require updating. Then back up your database and restore it at the school to replace theirs.

Gary (The Master) Smith may have a more elegant solution for you, but either of these 2 scenarios will work, giving the school all the benefit of your improvements.

Should your db not have all the records, let me know, and we can add an interim step.

Hope this helps,
            Duncan

Comment

Duncan,
              As you guessed, the database that I did all of the reconfiguring, and creation of new fields and the creation of global updates for the new fields, does NOT contain all of the current data. I have been working on this for a couple of weeks, and during that time, the school (the original db) has multiple changes in their db which they do not want to loose. Possibly, if I wait till easter, I could take a copy of their db home but would still have the problem of updating their database with their current data, with my home database with its new fields, rules and reconfigured structure.
              So, does this clarify my problem? Is there another step that you could recommend? Thanks for your trouble.
              David

Comment

David;
                What you need to do is get both databases on the same machine. I suggest the following:

1. First back up YOUR db as it is.

2. Now, change the name of YOUR db on your computer to "davetemp" or something to indicate that it is a temporary copy of YOUR db. Now back up "davetemp".

3. Go to the school and back up the school's db. Now restore "davetemp" on the school's computer.

4.Once "davetemp" is restored on the school computer, delete all of "davetemp's" records.

5. Append all of the school's records to "davetemp".

6. "Davetemp" now has all of the school's up to date data along with your additional fields and field rules.

7. You can then change the name of "davetemp" to the school's name for the db, and all "should" be well.

8. If not, you have a backup for each individual "original" db to restore or restart the process.

Hope this helps ... if you have any questions or are unfamiliar with these steps, please post your questions.

Good luck!
                Duncan

P.S. The "new" fields you have created ... are they to be filled in manually by the school, or are they really "revamped" fields that exist on the school's db?

Comment

Duncan,
                  Thanks, it worked like a charm. I tried it on the database here at home and the disk my school had sent me with most of their data and it worked flawlessly.
                  In all the years that I have used A4 I never used zap, append, or backup and restore. Today I used all four. Previously I had just "copied" the database as a backup. Seems like I will be using "backup" from now on.
                  The new fields I created take data from existing fields that we used to have serve dual purposes. So to store indications of the service of a speech provider for example we would put something like 1/3 meaning one time a week alone with a child, and 3 times a week with a group of children. So I created a whole bunch of fields which took individual pieces of data and separated the old fields using rules containing substr(), left() and right(). They seem to be working.
                  Again, thanks for your help and time.
                  David

Comment

David;
                    I'm glad everyhing worked out OK and you were able to figure out my steps e.g. I should have said "zap" instead of "delete"!.

Yes, A4 is an amazing tool, even if it is DOS software.

One bit of warning, however, when you use BACKUP. If the backup spans multiple disks, "sometimes" the backup will not fully back up all the data, even though all indications are that it did. Apparently there was some sort of bug in this utility ... Alpha licensed it from a 3rd party. This will only be a potential problem if you have a very large data base.

Regards,
                    Duncan

Comment

Duncan,
                      Actually I have experienced this problem just recently. I would ususally "copy" the schools db and take it home to work on. After working on my home computer and increasing the number of fields as well as writing a number of global update rules I tried to "copy" the database back to a disk and found it was too large and it refused to continue.
                      When I used your "backup" it seemed to produce a much smaller file that is small enough to fit on a 1.2 meg floppy. So alls well that ends well and I am happy that you took time to figure this out for me. I realize that this is something I probably should have used long ago.
                      Thanks again for your effort.
                      David

Comment

Working...
                      X