Thread: Corrupt .dbf file: Jobs

Justin Swall

Default Corrupt .dbf file: Jobs

Is there anyway to perform maintenance on a corrupted .dbf file to reassemble the data or is it pretty much just lost?

Alpha4v4

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default RE: Corrupt .dbf file: Jobs

Try opening the .dbf file in Excel or other program that supports opening the .dbf format.

Once opened in Excel you should be able to view the file, delete any "bad data", and resave to a new name (with the .dbf extension).

Also possible to create a new table with the structure of the old table, append records from the old to the new. May salvage records until the corruption is encountered.

P Merody

YOU CAN USE THE ALPHA UTLILITY 'COPY DATABASE', BUT CHOOSE NOT TO INHERIT SUPPORT FILES.

SO IF THE CORRUPT DATABASE IS CALLED 'HEADER.DBF', COPY USING THE UTILITY 'COPY DATABASE' IT TO A NEW ONE CALLED 'NHEADER.DBF' WITHOUT INHERITING SUPPORT FILES.

THEN FROM DOS (BY PRESSING ALT + F9) RENAME THE DATABASE.

REN HEADER.DBF AHEADER.DBF (RENAMES THE CORRUPT DATABASE TO AHEADER.DBF)

REN NHEADER.DBF HEADER.DBF (RENAMES THE COPIED DATABASE BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL NAME)

TYPE EXIT TO GO BACK TO ALPHA

THEN UPDATE THE INDEX OF HEADER.DBF

IF THE DATABASE HAS BEEN RESTORED, YOU CAN GO BACK TO DOS (ALT + F9) AND DELETE THE CORRUPTED DATABASE.

DEL AHEADER.DBF

Thaddeus majusick

I need help too.

Real Name
    Moy Wong

Default Re: Corrupt .dbf file: Jobs

Hello Justin,

Rule #1: Attempt recovery only on a *copy* of the damaged file.

Can you be more specific about the database "corruption"? Does A4 just fail to open the bare .DBF file? Or does it open, but then shows gibberish in some of the records? Are the data "skewed" so that field data seems to spill over into an adjacent field? Can the corrupt .DBF file be successfully and accurately copied to another disk or directory?

There are numerous utilities around that can automagically repair .DBF files, but you can still do some header repairs manually with a hex editor. In my experience, more often than not, the .DBF header gets corrupt, while most of the data are intact.

In one application that I used to maintain (not an A4 application, but one that also used a .DBF file), its favorite way of corrupting the database was to fail to save a valid record count in the header, making the database appear empty. Correcting the record count easily repaired this kind of database damage.

-moy

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Default Re: Corrupt .dbf file: Jobs

The tool, technically perhaps, is free...but it cannot be used for recovery unless you pay for it.
    The trial version has some limitations. You can use it to view the recovered data, but cannot export it to Microsoft Excel.
    This post looks very close to a spam advertisement, but maybe is a decent tool for $27 (personal) to $45 (business)?????? I just wanted to make sure users here don't fall for a salesman's hype (non-total disclosure).
    Mike