Alpha Video Training

Thread: Help print to file to MS WRD? A4v6

Barb

Default Help print to file to MS WRD? A4v6

I have ALpha4v4 6.

I need help printing a report to File then opening it in MS word.

I can do it in WP with minor editing. But MS word is toooooo much editing.

I need to do this to send the report via e-mail.

Please help!

Real Name
    Duncan Greenshields

Default RE: Help print to file to MS WRD? A4v6

Barb;
    I'm a little confused. I'm hoping you don't need help with MS Word. To print A4v6 report to file easily, first you need to set up the "default" printer. (From the Main Menu select "Other", then "Configuration", then "Printer Configuration", then "Create/Edit Printer Configuration", then select "Default"). Then use this "default" printer when printing to file. I usually save it with the "txt" extension. Then you should be able to open it in MS Word with no trouble.

Hope this helps,
    Duncan

Real Name
    Steve Pick

Duncan, I do the same, but use wordpad. I open the exported file in wordpad. Then I use "select all" "copy" and paste into Netscape 3.0 mailer. I don't like attachements as not every computer has WORD.

One thing to bear in mind is that the report written from A4 shouldn't use control characters.

I did have to make a copy of the report that I use for sending a paper report by fax, and then remove the control characters like !B or !U and those that are generated if you have a "typeset" report. The report sent by email is not the fanciest but it does have all the information. I don't have a problem of worrying whether the recipient has the correct software to read it.

One little niggling comment on Alpha is that it is a pain to out all the controls for the typeset mode. If there is a faster way of deleting each object and then adding the field or text back manually I would like to know as I couldn't see it.
    Steve

Barb

First, thank you for responding so quickley! I was able to print to MS word very easily after setting up the default printer and using txt as you suggested. Unfortunately this is what it looks like-
    A
    ABRONS, EARLINE 635-3818 HSM eabrons@hsmclothes.com CUSTOMER SERVICE-IN STOCK DESPLAINES
    ACCETTURA, MIKE 635-2665 HSM macceturra@hsmclothes.com MFG CUTTING ROOM 1 DESPLAINES
    ADAMS, TOM 212-532-7798 HMXS tadams@hartmarx.com EXECUTIVE FINANCE NEW YORK

Funny, it doesn't show the dots at mid character level on every line that appear in MS!

What I'm trying to do is print a directory of employees. I use Alpha4 for our company directory. I use it for E911 reporting in Illinois, I use it for cable and jack locations and office and phone types and uses. It's a very multipurpose data base. And comes in real handy when moving hordes of people as we occasionaly do.

I can sort my directory into groups such as All employees, nationally, alphabetically, or by department, with e-mail addresses.

And I sort it by headquarters in Chicago, alphabetically, by department and our main distribution center in Des Plaines Il.

I use WP for main phone numbers and fax numbers for all locations.

I need to be able to print the 6 different groupings into the word doc after the main stuff so I can e-mail it to our other offices.

How do I get the extra characters out?

Thank you!!!!!

Barb

First, thank you for responding so quickley! I was able to print to MS word very easily after setting up the default printer and using txt as you suggested. Unfortunately this is what it looks like-
    A
    ABRONS, EARLINE 635-3818 HSM eabrons@hsmclothes.com CUSTOMER SERVICE-IN STOCK DESPLAINES
    ACCETTURA, MIKE 635-2665 HSM macceturra@hsmclothes.com MFG CUTTING ROOM 1 DESPLAINES
    ADAMS, TOM 212-532-7798 HMXS tadams@hartmarx.com EXECUTIVE FINANCE NEW YORK

Funny, it doesn't show the dots at mid character level on every line that appear in MS!

What I'm trying to do is print a directory of employees. I use Alpha4 for our company directory. I use it for E911 reporting in Illinois, I use it for cable and jack locations and office and phone types and uses. It's a very multipurpose data base. And comes in real handy when moving hordes of people as we occasionaly do.

I can sort my directory into groups such as All employees, nationally, alphabetically, or by department, with e-mail addresses.

And I sort it by headquarters in Chicago, alphabetically, by department and our main distribution center in Des Plaines Il.

I use WP for main phone numbers and fax numbers for all locations.

I need to be able to print the 6 different groupings into the word doc after the main stuff so I can e-mail it to our other offices.

How do I get the extra characters out?

Thank you!!!!!

As you see above I ran smack into what you were describing. But I don't under stand what you're doing to fix it.

Please say it very slowly, I'm not blonde but I do have blonde moments.

Real Name
    Duncan Greenshields

Barb;
    What do you mean by "the extra characters"? Is your real problem "formatting" it to fit each line properly in MS Word?

Duncan

Real Name
    Duncan Greenshields

Steve;
    In order to eliminate the control characters, we:
    1. set up the "Default" printer as I explained to Barb

2. print to file in standard i.e. non-Typeset mode

This seems to eliminate all the unwanted characters.

Duncan

Barb

I don't have any "typeset" reports set up.

Barb

I think you're right. I don't know enough about MS word.

I'. a Word perfect, Lotus person trying to fit in a MS word Excell world!!!!

It's just close enough to make me nuts!

Real Name
    Duncan Greenshields

Barb;
    If your problem is getting it to "fit" i.e. one line from your A4 report to fit all on one line in MS Word, then you may have to do a bit of work to get the MS Word documents you want.

First, you need to create your report in A4 so that each line will fit on an MS Word line. You may have to experiment a bit with this, so that all the test from your A4 report does not "overflow" onto multiple lines in Word. I think this is your problem.

To make that easier, you may need to create some calculated fields in A4 (e.g. combining name + e-mail address)so that your one line in A4 will fit onto one line in MS Word.

I hope I am understanding your problem correctly, and that this might help you.

Duncan

Barb

We're thinking along the same lines.

I made it fit in MS.

Thank you for your help!!!

Real Name
    Steve Pick

Duncan,

There is a problem with this. The spacing of everything is, untidy to say the least, and at times very confusing to read.

In designing say an invoice(at least my design), which was the example I just looked at, some of the positioning of the basic text was moved from where it would have been to compensate for the repositioning of the object when the object was designed as typeset. For me the typeset reports need modifying for email.

However, I always assumed that Alpha was not smart enough to handle the !B etc in the non typeset and I took them out. Now I see I wasted my time as I just tested it and the !B and the !n's have disappeared. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Steve