Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help print to file to MS WRD? A4v6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help print to file to MS WRD? A4v6

I have ALpha4v4 6.

I need help printing a report to File then opening it in MS word.

I can do it in WP with minor editing. But MS word is toooooo much editing.

I need to do this to send the report via e-mail.

Please help!

RE: Help print to file to MS WRD? A4v6

Barb;
    I'm a little confused. I'm hoping you don't need help with MS Word. To print A4v6 report to file easily, first you need to set up the "default" printer. (From the Main Menu select "Other", then "Configuration", then "Printer Configuration", then "Create/Edit Printer Configuration", then select "Default"). Then use this "default" printer when printing to file. I usually save it with the "txt" extension. Then you should be able to open it in MS Word with no trouble.

Hope this helps,
    Duncan

Comment

Duncan, I do the same, but use wordpad. I open the exported file in wordpad. Then I use "select all" "copy" and paste into Netscape 3.0 mailer. I don't like attachements as not every computer has WORD.

One thing to bear in mind is that the report written from A4 shouldn't use control characters.

I did have to make a copy of the report that I use for sending a paper report by fax, and then remove the control characters like !B or !U and those that are generated if you have a "typeset" report. The report sent by email is not the fanciest but it does have all the information. I don't have a problem of worrying whether the recipient has the correct software to read it.

One little niggling comment on Alpha is that it is a pain to out all the controls for the typeset mode. If there is a faster way of deleting each object and then adding the field or text back manually I would like to know as I couldn't see it.
      Steve

Comment

First, thank you for responding so quickley! I was able to print to MS word very easily after setting up the default printer and using txt as you suggested. Unfortunately this is what it looks like-
        A
        ABRONS, EARLINE 635-3818 HSM [email protected] CUSTOMER SERVICE-IN STOCK DESPLAINES
        ACCETTURA, MIKE 635-2665 HSM [email protected] MFG CUTTING ROOM 1 DESPLAINES
        ADAMS, TOM 212-532-7798 HMXS [email protected] EXECUTIVE FINANCE NEW YORK

Funny, it doesn't show the dots at mid character level on every line that appear in MS!

What I'm trying to do is print a directory of employees. I use Alpha4 for our company directory. I use it for E911 reporting in Illinois, I use it for cable and jack locations and office and phone types and uses. It's a very multipurpose data base. And comes in real handy when moving hordes of people as we occasionaly do.

I can sort my directory into groups such as All employees, nationally, alphabetically, or by department, with e-mail addresses.

And I sort it by headquarters in Chicago, alphabetically, by department and our main distribution center in Des Plaines Il.

I use WP for main phone numbers and fax numbers for all locations.

I need to be able to print the 6 different groupings into the word doc after the main stuff so I can e-mail it to our other offices.

How do I get the extra characters out?

Thank you!!!!!

Comment

First, thank you for responding so quickley! I was able to print to MS word very easily after setting up the default printer and using txt as you suggested. Unfortunately this is what it looks like-
          A
          ABRONS, EARLINE 635-3818 HSM [email protected] CUSTOMER SERVICE-IN STOCK DESPLAINES
          ACCETTURA, MIKE 635-2665 HSM [email protected] MFG CUTTING ROOM 1 DESPLAINES
          ADAMS, TOM 212-532-7798 HMXS [email protected] EXECUTIVE FINANCE NEW YORK

Funny, it doesn't show the dots at mid character level on every line that appear in MS!

What I'm trying to do is print a directory of employees. I use Alpha4 for our company directory. I use it for E911 reporting in Illinois, I use it for cable and jack locations and office and phone types and uses. It's a very multipurpose data base. And comes in real handy when moving hordes of people as we occasionaly do.

I can sort my directory into groups such as All employees, nationally, alphabetically, or by department, with e-mail addresses.

And I sort it by headquarters in Chicago, alphabetically, by department and our main distribution center in Des Plaines Il.

I use WP for main phone numbers and fax numbers for all locations.

I need to be able to print the 6 different groupings into the word doc after the main stuff so I can e-mail it to our other offices.

How do I get the extra characters out?

Thank you!!!!!

As you see above I ran smack into what you were describing. But I don't under stand what you're doing to fix it.

Please say it very slowly, I'm not blonde but I do have blonde moments.

Comment

Barb;
            What do you mean by "the extra characters"? Is your real problem "formatting" it to fit each line properly in MS Word?

Duncan

Comment

Steve;
              In order to eliminate the control characters, we:
              1. set up the "Default" printer as I explained to Barb

2. print to file in standard i.e. non-Typeset mode

This seems to eliminate all the unwanted characters.

Duncan

Comment

I don't have any "typeset" reports set up.

Comment

I think you're right. I don't know enough about MS word.

I'. a Word perfect, Lotus person trying to fit in a MS word Excell world!!!!

It's just close enough to make me nuts!

Comment

Barb;
                    If your problem is getting it to "fit" i.e. one line from your A4 report to fit all on one line in MS Word, then you may have to do a bit of work to get the MS Word documents you want.

First, you need to create your report in A4 so that each line will fit on an MS Word line. You may have to experiment a bit with this, so that all the test from your A4 report does not "overflow" onto multiple lines in Word. I think this is your problem.

To make that easier, you may need to create some calculated fields in A4 (e.g. combining name + e-mail address)so that your one line in A4 will fit onto one line in MS Word.

I hope I am understanding your problem correctly, and that this might help you.

Duncan

Comment

We're thinking along the same lines.

I made it fit in MS.

Thank you for your help!!!

Comment

Duncan,

There is a problem with this. The spacing of everything is, untidy to say the least, and at times very confusing to read.

In designing say an invoice(at least my design), which was the example I just looked at, some of the positioning of the basic text was moved from where it would have been to compensate for the repositioning of the object when the object was designed as typeset. For me the typeset reports need modifying for email.

However, I always assumed that Alpha was not smart enough to handle the !B etc in the non typeset and I took them out. Now I see I wasted my time as I just tested it and the !B and the !n's have disappeared. Thanks for pointing that out.
                        Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X