Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Macro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macro

Hi,
    I am new to Alpha four and
    curretly working on updating my client's database system.

I need a big help for how to define macro on the first step.
    I see a bunch of macro in the system, but no idea how to
    edit macro and change it.

In the application menu, there is a place I can set Macro. And Press [ENTER], then Macro Editor comes up and i can edit it. However, most of macros are not expression and
    not function at all. I guess a programmer have defined those macros somewhere.... How do I know what a macro is doing in the AL4 system and how to edit them? I don't see
    any menu or link to change the definition of macros.
    Please help!!!!!!!
    does anyone know where manuals are available on the internet?

i have one more question.
    can somebody explain below?

Macro:
    coentry_s[ENTRY]V

I believe [entry]v is a command, and
    "coentry_s" is user-defiend. is that wrong?
    I want to know what "coentry_s" is,
    and how to change the definition of "coentry_s"
    (assume that this is user-defined)

Other wierd macro such as
    LPD
    LFCVF

are those user-defined macro?
    or a well-known command defined in AL4 system?

thanks
    yoshi

RE: Macro

Hi Yoshi,

Welcome to Alpha, macros in Alpha are called "scripts".

If you press the Alt+F3 key combination from within Alpha, you will get the commands related to scripts.

Scripts (macros) used in Alpha are often "keystroke" scripts, this means the script records the keystrokes you make.

>>Macro:
    coentry_s[ENTRY]V >Other wierd macro such as
    LPD
    LFCVF

Comment

Run as fast as you can Alpha4 is a nightmare!!!!
      Anyways...I guess you're in the same boat.
      Don't you have a Alpha4 reference manual and/or tutorial manual?

In alpha interface you'll see a letter in each menu option that is highlighted such as Choose Open entry_s database/letter whatever. This would apply to the commands in the macro/script.

coentry_s[ENTRY]V

Like I said run while you can alpha stinks up the ying yang.

Comment

Thank you very much!!!!
        I've got an idea for scripts(/macro)

NOW, When I try to choose "Modify Script,"
        only a few script are shown on the screen.
        And I could not find such as LPD or LFCVF,
        even though those are frequently used in the system.

Why??????
        those are recorded and can't be modeified???

yoshi

Comment

No Yoshi, they are probably in the application editor. In the application editor, you can record keystrokes and write expressions or you can play existing scripts that contain keystrokes and/or expressions.

Keith

Comment

Dong,
            The keystroke A4 scripts seem fairly simple to me. Alpha produced an excellent reference manual some years ago. You shouldn't blame the program if somebody lost the manual.
            Chapter 18 has 145 pages on the subject.

A4 scripts have an extension SCP so they should be easy to find.

There is a utility A4DOC.EXE which enables you to print out the scripts. I start this from a DOS window.

When in Alpha4 using ALT F3 "M" allows you to modify a script.

You can use the debug feature of the script and using F4 you can see what Alpha is doing. This is a little tedious.

I would print out the script using A4DOC and then manually enter the keystrokes that are listed in the script. It should show what Alpha is doing.

There are some script commands which may need the manual for you to understand them.

Good luck
            Steve

Comment

Dong,

Further to Keith's comment if you are refering to an application then you should find these with the APP extension.

I just did a search of my C drive and found several which came as samples with the original A4. There is one which simulates the A4 menu system which might help you.

Many years ago I thought I would use the Application generator but it became so simple to just use databases and sets and a few keystroke scripts I never got as far as writing an application.

The Alpha Four reference manual devotes 28 pages in chapter 17 to applications.

All the best Steve

Comment

Working...
              X