Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A4V4 vs HP 842C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A4V4 vs HP 842C

Print problem: Alpha4v4.0.2 used to print to the HP Deskjet 842C through parallel cable. I replaced my computer, and now it will not print Std. Mode, but appears OK in Typeset. Get "check driver" msg. as per other posts.
    The old machine was 200MH Pentium, W98SE, which was upgraded from W98, W95a, W3.1. New machine is Athelon 1.43GH, W98SE clean install. Only thing I can figure is that the high speed is doing it. Have tried various helps from here, incl the 660c Config, reinstall (updated) HP drivers, every combination in the driver params. (Spool, or not, timeouts etc.) Does anyone have the 842c Setup codes? Note that this is a dual connect USB/Parallel. I usually run A4 on Parallel to old Epson, works great.
    TIA,
    Brad Gaylord

RE: A4V4 vs HP 842C

The latest version of A4 (version 7) should support windows printers natively, and should be able to avoid these problems. It does this by implementing an external native windows 'print spooler' - since it calls directly into the windows printer API, it avoids all the problems associated with writing directly to the port.

Comment

Thanks for the info, however, I would like to avoid changing to new version if possible. May be inevitable, but I like v4.
      Brad

Comment

Have you looked at the parallel port settings options in the BIOS setup? There's somthing niggling the back of my memory about that. Don't know if it will make any difference, but it can't hurt to try.

Comment

Thanks, will let you know.
          Brad

Comment

Sad to say, did not help. Was ECP. Changed to Normal, port did not work at all, Changed to BiDirectional, port worked but A4 still gave error as before, error after first page. I did not try EPP, as it needs "EPP Version".
            But, thanks for the idea. Someday it will be solved.

Comment

Hi Brad,

Note that this is a dual connect USB/Parallel. I usually run A4 on Parallel to old Epson, works great.

What do you mean by this statement? I don't understand what you mean by "Note that this is a dual connect USB/Parallel."

Is the printer connected to LPT1?

If so, go to the DOS prompt.

At the c:\ prompt, type "dir" and press enter.

Next type "dir>lpt1" and press enter. The printer should print what you saw on the screen when you typed "dir" and pressed enter.

If the printer prints correctly, the problem is Alpha 4, if not, the problem is in the printer setup.

You need to remember than one full page on the screen is only 1/2 a page of paper. You may need to change your path to to get at least four different screens to display when using the "dir" and enter command.

If the printer is connected to the USB port, I wouldn't have any idea what you need to do. A suggestion would be to go to the HP web site and search all the FAQ's etc..

Ron
              Alpha 5 Version 11
              AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
              DBF's and MySql
              Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

My normal setup is the parallel goes to Epson LX-800 and USB to the HP.
                I used to be able to move the parallel to HP and print there via LPT1. (Dual connect means the HP has both connects, you of course only use one at a time, and you name the printer 2 different names in "Printers")
                I tried the ver>, and that, from what you say, proves the problem is in A4. Other programs seem to care less whether HP is on USB or LPT1. As my original post indicates, the weird part is I could do this print to the HP when the computer was Pentium 200 MH, changed the machine to Athelon 1.43GH, and it blows out on the HP after one page. Still prints fine to old old LX800!

Comment

Well, it could be that the HP properties are set up differently on your new computer than it was on the old computer.

How did you load the drivers for the HP on the new machine?

I got a hold of an HP Laserjet 4L and couldn't load the HP drivers that came with the printer. As the 4L is a DOS printer, I simply connected the printer to LPT1 with no windows drivers loaded. I could print all day from Alpha. Eventually, I loaded the default drivers that came with Windows 98se and it still works just fine.

Is the 842C a DOS printer or windows only?

Ron
                  Alpha 5 Version 11
                  DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Drivers are HP's, and it is a DOS compatible printer. Loaded from the HP Disk, both machines, updated from HP website, but will try your idea of printing from default type driver.
                    The spook in this is that the same printer used to work.
                    I still suspect that the clock speed has something to do with it.
                    Brad

Comment

Brad,

I just need to clarify when I said, "Default Driver" I meant the driver for my printer than came on the Windows 98se disk, not the drivers supplied by HP.

I always use the print spooler and select the printer to start printing after the first page is spooled.

Ron
                      Alpha 5 Version 11
                      DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Ron, sorry to say did not work. The spook here is that the first page prints OK. What I suspect is that the A4 program, clocking at 1.43GH thinks that the printer went away, but, since I use spool, how could it know?
                        Brad

Comment

Brad,

I re-read your first post. You stated that you cannot print in standard mode.

Could you be more specific as to exactly what is happening.

My experience has been the printer configuration for my old 660 works on my 1000 and I would venture that it would work on any HP inkjet.

The 660 was a DOS printer. The 1000 only prints DOS applications through Windows.

I print both standard and typeset reports.

I really don't think the speed of the computer has anything to do with your problem.

Admittly, I'm using a PIII 333mhz and Alpha 4V6.

Ron
                          Alpha 5 Version 11
                          DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Brad,

DOS programs will not access a printer via the USB port. All old DOS programs wrote directly to the LPT ports or Serial ports as that is the way they used to be connected. Windows cannot make a program redirect output from the LPT port to the USB port.

If you have to use your printer on the USB, then you would have to get A4v7 which has a specially written print driver to deal with Windows printers under the DOS box. This is not the windows version of Alpha but a newer DOS version with windows printing capabilities. I would, however, check over the other messages in the V7 message area to see what others think about printing through windows. I believe that there were some issues with Typeset mode.

Easy fix - $5.00 printer switch box so both printers are on the parallel port.

Doug

Comment

Thanks, but was not the problem, A4 prints only the first page, through the parallel to the HP, then errors.

Comment

Working...
                              X