Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha 4 Ver. 6------HELP

Charles Slack

Default Alpha 4 Ver. 6------HELP

I am entering a very large personal library into Alpha 4 V6.
    One of the fields is for each book price. I want another field for a running total for all the book prices I have entered. Will someone please come to my rescue??

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ken Herrold

Default RE: Alpha 4 Ver. 6------HELP

Charles:

If you're viewing these records in a Browse and would like an incrementing 'running total' field, I don't know how to do that.

What you could do, is to add another field holding a calculated field rule using DBSUM function. Each record then would have as its last field a total of everything in the db. When you deleted and and packed a record, it's amount would be subtracted from the total.

There may be others on the site who can help with the 'running balance' you might prefer.

Ken

Charles Slack

Thanks Ken for your reply, I will try it. If I need further help will you be available?
    Charles

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Charles,

You may find that it makes more sense *not* to include a permanent running total field in each record.

Consider what happens with the first two books.

When the first book is entered its cost and the running total are the same.

When the second book is entered its cost and the previous sum of book costs would presumably be totalled.

If you go back to the first book the running total is wrong. It no longer contains the running total of all books in the table.

If you add a third book, and then delete the second, the first and third records are both wrong. Neither contains the actual running total of the books in the table.

About the best such a field might indicate is the 'snap shot' running total at the time the record was entered. It's likely to prove useless for any other purpose and almost surely will rarely equal the actual running total of all records in the table.

My suggestion would be to leave it out of the table altogether. Just record the cost associated with each record, and create a calculated field for the running totals in your reports.

-- tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ken Herrold

Tom's right!

Here's what I did for a checking account balance. I have a set with a header - one link field and another for 'balance'. The form for the set takes data in another db Region browse. The field rules for the region 'book price' in your case would be a post to that header balance field - external/Add/unpost on delete.

To adjust for the removal of a book [and its price] either delete the record or change the price amount to zero. That would remove its value from the total.

Conversely when a new book record is added the total will increase by that price amount.

If you create a form - header and browse[items]you can display the 'balance field' on the form and watch it update on data entry/change.