Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

LAN Error - Adapter Malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LAN Error - Adapter Malfunction

I am having a problem migrating my version of Alpha Four (Version 3.0 Single User after all available patches applied) from Windows 98 2ed. to Windows 2000 Pro, a problem I believe has been expressed by others in this message board.

My version of A4 worked without problems or complaints under Windows 98 (after previous migrations from Windows 3.1 through Windows 95). I backed up my complete Windows 98 system to an external hard drive, then did a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro to my C drive. No problems there. I brought back the A4 files from the external hard drive to my C drive, and configured the necessary MS DOS shortcut to run the program under Windows 2000 Pro.

Attempting to run the program yields the following message : "LAN Error - Adapter Malfunction - Please Reboot".
    I tried the suggestions outlined by other users on various threads on this board, ie. run devmgmt.msc to identify and uninstall phantom adapters, protocols etc. without success.

My questions: Has anyone solved this problem? If so, what did you do? If not, got any more suggestions, insights, recommendations, etc. In any event, I am curious as to what could be causing this problem.

As a last resort, and if I can find my original installation disks, I can try to reinstall A4 from scratch and see if Windows 2000 Pro will recognize and run the program differently.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

RE: LAN Error - Adapter Malfunction

Claude:

For all that my opinion might be worth I feel that Windows 98 is absolutely the most trouble free viable product to ever come from the Gates Tribe. I've networked my clients for A4V6 in Microsoft's network [out of the box] since 3.11 and, as far as I'm concerned Alpha is it's most comfortable and trouble free self in Windows98 - Not M.E. Not Second Edition, Not 2000, Not NT-- ONLY WINDOWS 98. I've built and sold numerous systems and know this to be so.

If it were me, I'd blank the new machine out, and install Windows 98 and live happily ever after with my Alhpa program in there.

Ken

Comment

Ken:

Do you or anyone else know what conditions are programmed into the A4V3 code that trigger this error message. If I knew what gives the program this kind of heartburn so that it spits out the error message, then maybe I can see if these conditions are being served up by my W2K configuration.

Thanks

Comment

Claude:

I've seen a couple of responses on this board with this same topic that you're using.

Do a search - I KNOW someone has a solution.

The search with quotes "Lan Error - Adapter Malfunction"

Try it - I'm sure you'll see a remedy.

Ken

Comment

HEY KEN
          I have delt with this problem. After 4 hours of trouble shooting. Depending on the software loaded. Do you have what is call Intel proset I or II. You can check this in the control panel. If so more than one adapter is showing in the profile. If you recently replaced the adapter. Right click on the culpret adapter and remove it. You may want to remove all from this profile and let the operating system detect and load. This should clear this nasty little problem up.

Comment

Same result occurs with Windows XP operating system. It sounds goofy to have to maintain a second computer just for Alpha4v3. So I might have to start using my old XT computer ith that huge 20MB drive. My dBase program is as old and there isn't any problem using it with WinXP.

Comment

It works fine with win98se also. SE is nothing more than 98 with refinements and less problems. SE also has better networking ability

I have installed so many networks, it isn't even funny and SE is definitely better

I am not a lover of me and 2000 is the replacement for NT so dos capabilities are waning.

XP has less dos capabilities than 98, but more networking ability. (Memory Management)

Right now it is 98SE

Dave
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Could it be that the error pops up due to the fact that Windows XP has no dos?

Comment

Spencer,
                  First let me thank you for finding the problem. I have the Intel Proset II installed with only ONE adaptor. I removed the adaptor from the configuration and the problem went away. Can I now put it back in? Obviously I need to have the network adaptor installed, or I'll have no network capabilities. Will the problem reappear if I do this? If so, is there another fix for this problem?

Thanks,

Jay B.

Comment

Spencer,

Will this solution work with Windows XP?

A more general question. I have some OLD data in Alpha 4 v.3. I do not need to print it or add to it or change it in any way, I just need to view it. Besides copying all of the files from my Windows 98 computer to my new Windows XP computer and removing the "Intel Proset I and/or II" what else do I need to do to get it running?

Thanks for the help.

Roger

Comment

this is still a problem, for me in xp anyway.

we have 3 wrkstns using A4v3 at the same time. well, they were able to use them at the same time until i upgraded from win95. i am convinced it's a netbeui issue, but after installing netbeui protocols on the 3 new machines, and enabling netbios over tcp/ip, i still have no luck solving this problem.

i have no intel proset.
                      i've reinstalled netbeui.

any other suggestions?

Comment

This corrected these messages for our Company

Microsoft Q Article Q315539

It has to do with Hidden Network adapters in the device manager left over from a cloned computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315539

Comment

Most of the information that you need in on a Microsoft web page believe it or not! Go to http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324767. Do as instructed on that page (print it out for your ease of use).
                          It is easier to use cmd under run on menu than to use Notepad to edit the config.nt and autoexec.nt files. Just open them up, save them as config.nt1 and autoexec.nt1,then change them as instructed and save as config.nt and autoexec.nt.

In addition you have to change the following:

In config.nt in System32 folder - - - - files=50-100 - - - not 40 as displayed.

On the desktop icon, right click, Advanced tab on Program tab, check on "Compatible timer hardware emulation" box.

In Font tab make sure to set font to one that you can read. The displayed font in the sample box is about 2/3 the actual size you will see.

Memory tab, Conventional memory set to 520 and check protected box. Initial envirenment set to 1024.
                          Expanded memory set to 1024. Extended memory set to 1024.

Screen to Full Screen or window. Size of window will differ depending on your screen resolution.

Compatability tab, set for Windows 98/ME compatability.

You also have to go into the Windows\System32 folder, right click on "Command.exe" and repeat the above on the properties menu.

This will eliminate the file handle error as well as the LAN error message that you get when using Alpha 4 Version 3 on Windows XP operating system. Have many mailing lists that I have done for years, 65 to 7900 records. Took me almost 10 hours to get this solution. Hope it helps many frustrated people.

Comment

Working...
                          X