New call-to-action

Thread: Can't install Alpha on Win ME

Jill Bery

Default Can't install Alpha on Win ME

I can't install my Alpha 4 (ver 2, 4, 6 or 6.2) on my new computer with has Windows Millenium. I have tried everything including the postings on this message board. The last solution to this problem posted to make sure the autoexec.bat file attributes were not hidden. No luck on anything. I maybe wrong but as far as I can tell Windows Millineum does not have a DOS system. When I shut down I am not given a choice to restart in DOS, nor does restarting the computer and holding down either the "control" or "F8" key get you DOS, it just boots right into Windows Millenium. Yes there is a shortcut key under the programs but this only gets you to the DOS prompt I don't believe it is DOS as we have used as a operating system.

There were several posting in regards to this problem being addressed by Alpha or Microsoft and I am afraid that neither company has any interest in helping out those of us who have used their earlier products which need DOS. Instead Alpha and Microsoft consider us to be outdated with modern technology.. not viewed as loyal who helped them become sucessful.

PLEASE... someone share with me how to install Alpha in Windows Millenium, I'll be very dissapointed if I have to go back to Windows 95 to have Alpha successfully installed and running on my new system.

Any replies are greatly apprecited.
    Jill

Real Name
    Dave McClain

Default RE: Can't install Alpha on Win ME

Jill,

I am familiar with the issues of installing A4 with Windows ME that were posted here. In my case (A4 V2.1) was not a problem, it installed without a hitch. However, many others have had problems and I just don't know how to help some of them.

If you have a CD-RW drive in your old computer copy your whole A4 database to it, create the same named primary directory in Windows ME and copy it to it. If you can do this it will save you the effort of resetting your "preferences" with A4 too.

A4 is not a "registry" required installation, it's simply "files" to Windows ME. If this is successful, and as you may know, there is one more step required to run A4 using MSConfig but that's the easy part.

Real Name
    JILL BERRY

David,

Thank you for the reply. My Alpha files are at work so I just zipped them up and emailed it to my home which has the Windows ME, I'll unzip them into a directory with the same name and I would think that would be no different than transferring them by a copy of the files on a CD.... right?

Regarding your reply "there is one more step required to run A4 using MSConfig but that's the easy part" I hope this step you are referring to is basic because I certainly was surprised that it couldn't be installed in Win ME, like I mentioned earlier as far as I can tell there is no real DOS in Win ME as we have known it before or at least I can't find it. I did not configure our current Alpha system to run on Win 98 so what you are referring to, as the last step as easy may not be easy for me. But, at least I know whom to contact to solve the problem.... YOU

Thanks again
    Jill

Real Name
    JILL BERRY

David,

Thank you for the reply. My Alpha files are at work so I just zipped them up and emailed it to my home which has the Windows ME, I'll unzip them into a directory with the same name and I would think that would be no different than transferring them by a copy of the files on a CD.... right?

Regarding your reply "there is one more step required to run A4 using MSConfig but that's the easy part" I hope this step you are referring to is basic because I certainly was surprised that it couldn't be installed in Win ME, like I mentioned earlier as far as I can tell there is no real DOS in Win ME as we have known it before or at least I can't find it. I did not configure our current Alpha system to run on Win 98 so what you are referring to, as the last step as easy may not be easy for me. But, at least I know whom to contact to solve the problem.... YOU

Thanks again
    Jill

Real Name
    Dave McClain

Jill,

Zipped email should work fine. I would save them to CD in the event all does not go well. By the way, exactly what version are you using?

The next step is quite easy and this tip comes from Mike Champion on this forum some months ago.

Go here:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=5&id=5052&thread=5049

It's the second post in this thread regarding MSConfig. Print it for your reference. Personally I did not load "files=150" (without quotes). I run A4 V2.1 at "files=50" (or 60). The more files you "load," the more DOS memory you take away from Alpha 4. Fifty files is the minimum. Windows ME does have DOS just like any other version of Windows but it has changed some parameters especially for running older DOS programs.

I forgot that you may also have to configure A4's "properties" too. When you install A4 put a shortcut on your desktop and right click the icon | properties | and a screen will appear with six tabs at the top. When you are installed, post again here and I can give you my settings for A4 V2.1 and it runs great. Others may post here too with their settings for different A4 versions but they should all work fine.

Jill Bery

David,

We are currently using Alpha 4 version 6. I'll check out the information from Mike Chapman. Thanks for the information I had skimmed over information on this when looking for help yesterday on the message board. You've saved me a lot of time and one less headache.

Thanks
    Jill

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ken Herrold

Jill

I think I have it! Like the attached says, I installed ME on a trade-in machine and have sucessfully installed A4V6 several times with no trouble. The scheme involves editing the SETUP.DTA file on the first disk to eliminate the program's 'edit the autoexec.batwith share.exe statement' problem. This fouls the whole installation until edited away.

Look at this attachment for full details. You should, of course, first make a diskcopy of at least the first disk and make the changes on it.

Try it - it works for me! on ME [get it?]

Ken