Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Need "share.exe"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need "share.exe"

I just received a new Dell computer running Windows ME. I am having trouble getting "share.exe". When I go to the dos prompt, I receive an error message that says "bad command or file name". Can anyone help?

Thanks!

RE: Need

Why do you need share? If its to get multi user acces with A4, just use netbui as your primary protocol for your network. When you run A4, press F3 and it should show you are in shared mode, with NetBios as your Network type.
    Chris Tanti
    Technical Support

Nuance & Fathom Ltd - The data-driven marketing agency

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to load the Alpha4 program onto a brand new computer. This is what happens:

1) Ask me if I have a color monitor - answer yes
      2) Select the drive from which I'm installing - answer a:
      3) Installation options-full,quick or exit to dos - answer full
      4) Enter drive & path to install program - answer - c:alpha4v4
      5) Is this an upgrade from version 3 - answer no
      6) Says share is not loaded. Setup has added this command to your autoexec.bat file. A backup of this file is located in your alpha4 directory. Press any key to continue - answer I press enter
      7) Insert disk labeled (but doesn't say what disk). Press any key to continue - I press enter
      8) Stays at this point - does nothing else!!!

As you can tell I'm not technical at all. I don't know what to do. My husband works for the Houston Chronicle newspaper. I've called my contact there, and he hasn't a clue how to help me and directed me to the Alpha4 users bullentin board. Thus, I'm stuck. Can you help me from here?

I greatly appreciate you helping me out.

Thanks in advance!
      Deniese Heflin

Comment

Denise,

You did not state where you are installing A4 from - through Windows or
        at the C: prompt? I assume you now have Windows ME. When you get A4
        installed there is one more surprise for you but can be handled easily.

When you reach this point either I or someone else will post what we learned
        here to run A4 through Windows ME.

Comment

I'm installing from the a: drive (from diskettes). Yes, I have Windows ME now.

Oh boy, I can't wait to find out what I'm in for next!!! My contact at The Chronicle says "the fault is not the program, the computer or the operating system, & there's nothing new in Windows ME that is not in Windows 95 or 98. I've hit a roadblock!" Then refers me to you.

thanks for all your help thus far!
          Deniese

Comment

Denise,

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. Boot your computer with a boot disk or from the command prompt (pressing CTRL during bootup and read the menu). The latter is easier if you have not made a boot (startup) disk. Insert the Alpha4 "Install" disk and install it. May work, may not.... Share.exe is not a valid Windows ME file.

If it installs ok then run Alpha4 through the Windows ME desktop. Find it in Explorer and make a desktop shortcut.

Comment

When I "restart" my computer with the Alpha4 "disk 1" in the a: drive, it says non system disk or disk error.

Comment

After I received the error message "non system disk or disk error", I've tried several times since to try to fool the system to boot from the a: drive with the Alpha4 diskette in the drive (man, ya gotta be fast!). I was able to get a screen that......
                1) background is black
                2) different options come up
                a. normal
                b. logged (bootlog tx)-or something like that
                c. save mode
                d. ?? (it's too fast, I can't write it down fast enough!)

I chose b. loged (bootlog). It then proceeded to log in under Windows. What is my next step?

Again, thanks in advance for your help!

Comment

You shouldn't be trying to start the machine with the Alpha disk in the drive. You should start the machine from a "Startup" diskette, or you should start the machine up in a way that forces it to boot to a DOS prompt.

Since I'm still running Win 95, I'll defer to others for the specific details, but under Win 95 you can make a startup diskette by going to the Start menu, Settings, Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, and clicking the tab to create a startup diskette.

From an earlier message, I believe you could also start up the machine from the hard drive (no diskettes in the disk drive) while holding down the CTRL key which (I believe) should bring up the menu with various boot choices. If you select to boot to a DOS prompt, once the DOS prompt appears you could then insert your Alpha Four diskette in the drive and attempt the installation.

Anyone who sees where I've departed the rails feel free to jump in.

Comment

Hi Deniese,

First, you do not need share.exe to run alpha 4 under windows 9x or ME.

The original Alpha installation program would look for a referance to share.exe in your autoexec.bat and if it didn't find it, the installation program would modify your autoexec.bat to include this reference.

It sounds like you may have a bad Disk 1.

You said that you just received a new computer. The beauty of most DOS programs is that they can be copied from computer to computer and will work just fine. As long as you have access to your old computer, all you need to do is to copy the folders and files to the new.

If the old computer was running windows 9x, then copy the properties from the shortcut used to launch your Alpha program and make a new shortcut using those old properties.

The one problem you may encounter will be setting file handles in Windows ME.

That issue has been addressed many times before on this board. Search through the list and you will find what you need to know. Likewise, if you are upgrading from and old computer running under DOS or Windows 3x, property settings have been listed on this board, too.

Ron

Alpha 5 Version 11
                    AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
                    DBF's and MySql
                    Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Denise,

Ron is correct. I too was not sure at first if A4 needed a Windows install
                      but it does not.

I copied the file that was posted here some months ago for configuring
                      A4 to run under Windows ME and it's perfect. Be advised that the information is
                      here from about January entitled similar to "not enough file handles" or
                      close. Just do it EXACTLY as stated and you will run just fine.

Comment

Deniese:

I encountered the same problem at a client this afternoon. To make a long story short, I got the Alpha Four program to install after I cleared the "Hide" attribute from the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

The prompt then called for Disk 1 (and eventually for 2 and 3).

Howard R. Elkes

Comment

Thanks, but still no luck. I think I found the instructions you are referring to. It is titled "fixing out of file handles problem in WinMe from you dated 5/1/01. I was unable to find your instructions from January. I followed the instructions from Wayne Anderson....
                          "Run MSCONFIG from the Start, Run menue. Edit 386Enh in system environment, and add PERVMFiles=150".

It didn't work, maybe I did something wrong..... I did:
                          1) Went to Start, Run, typed in msconfig
                          2) Clicked on Syst.int
                          3) Clicked on (opened) folder...386Enh
                          4) Clicked on new and typed PERVMFiles=150
                          5) It asked me to restart my computer
                          6) Restarted computer
                          7) Tried to install Alpha4 again and same error message appeared.....need share.exe......

Now what should I do?

Comment

From your last posting, it would appear that the problem occurs when you try to install Alpa Four. Please refer to my reply on 06/05 regarding the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

Comment

Why not try making a text file and name is 'share.exe' and put it in [just plain] 'C'.

Alpha shopuld be tickled to death that the installation routine found it on the hard drive and should then go on with the installation.

A stab in the dark but I'll bet ou it'll work. What have you got to lose?

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X